• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why I don't donate signs.

signmeup

Don't attach recipes to your tax return!

"recipes" -a list of ingredients to make a food item such as cookies or bread.
"receipts" - pieces of paper with lists of items or services purchased/sold. Often used as proof of said purchase/sale. (You can go ahead and attach these to your tax return)

Mosh

Take your fresh killed opssum, skinned and gutted of couse. Cut into fillets. Tenderize it and coat it with brown sugar and then tenderize some more. This will get the sugar down in the meat. Them marinate in Worshisire for an hour or so. Then grill on high heat each side for abouth 2 minutes, then reduce the flame and cook each side and additional 4 minutes. The last minutes brush on whoreseshire sause to keep it tender. The sugar sould carmelize and give your guest a nice treat!

Serve with fryed grits and you are in like the Mosh on a Friday night. Be sure you have plenty of TP for the next morning .

Pat Whatley

Pat, I think the problem was that you imposed upon the other donors banners, not that your donation had no value. It was an in kind donation and if you wanted, I think you should have made a seperate banner for yourself, then no one would have an issue with it.
What? Why? Each banner has the logos of all the major sponsors on them. I would think it would be a whole lot more intrusive to have everyone else grouped together and me on a giant one by myself.

I talked to my wife about it tonight and she convinced me just to do it the way they want it and leave my logo off everything. Since me whole goal is to make a goodwill gesture to the two companies that keep my mortgage paid I should play nice and go with their terms.

Mosh

Sponsorship = I do stuff for free! I have softball teams always ask me to sponsor them. I ask them if they want to sponsor my boat for the summer. I guarantee more people will see my boat than their ball shirts....They never get it.

mikefine

I think you might have a real big problem to reconcile. You just might have upset off your TWO BIGGEST CUSTOMERS -- which is how you described them If they are sponsoring the event, it is very special to them. It seems to me, you donated the signs because of your customers -- not for goodwill, the charity, or seeing your logo on the banner. And because they were your best customers. I can envision this going back to your customers in a real negative way. If you value that relationship,
my advice is to make good on this somehow -- and quick.

GB2

Old Member
What? Why? Each banner has the logos of all the major sponsors on them. I would think it would be a whole lot more intrusive to have everyone else grouped together and me on a giant one by myself.

I talked to my wife about it tonight and she convinced me just to do it the way they want it and leave my logo off everything. Since me whole goal is to make a goodwill gesture to the two companies that keep my mortgage paid I should play nice and go with their terms.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that all the sponsor logos were all grouped together. Well then, I do think you were intitled to have your logo placed there as well, only you should have worked that out, when you agreed to do the banners, before just going ahead with it. The fact that your donation was "in kind" is really irrelavant to whether or not you get recognition for it, that simply means that your donation was in goods or services rather than cash but still has the same value. I think the problem developed from a little presumptousness on your part and a bit of ignorance on their part. You're right though, it's unfortunate that those good will gestures work out badly for some reason.

VinylLabs.com

I did that mistake once.

I printed up about 400 12" stickers for a radio station, and about 12 45" visors. Drove 1.5 hours to a car show to install them on some cars, in retrun for free advertising on his radio.

went home and worked on other stuff for 3 days, then remembered and turned on the radio (online radio) an ad came up for stickers... courtesy of..... ANOTHER COMPANY. he was doing advertising for someone else.

called him up and he told me the other guy paid him, sorry, nature of the business.

Never did it again.

Deaton Design

If they are that good of a customer, I dont see why they cared if you put your logo on there. When I do things like this, people ask me to put mine on whatever I donated. Sounds like this is someone who doesnt like to be questioned. I recently worked with a committee like that.

andy

My idea of supporting charities is to strong arm all my suppliers into giving me free stuff which I then present to the charity myself, my contribution if you will.... this is my charity gig and you aren't invited.... just give me the free cr@p and get lost

Your customers probably like the idea of presenting these banners as part of "their" contribution to the event... sticking a label which reads donated by XYZ Signs on them kinda bursts that bubble... everyone now knows you provided the goods for free so what exactly are YOUR customers providing out of their own pockets? The answer is probably nothing.

Fatboy

I will tell them to stuff off. I think it is very arrogant of them for not allowing your logo on there after you have to do them for free!

Jillbeans

I would have put my logo on the backs of the things and made them as the client requested.
Whoever said early in this thread that no good deed goes unpunished is right.
I donate only very rarely, to causes which matter to me, and I'm usually quiet about it.
I do give the place to which I donated a receipt with the value of the donation written on it and the notation that the item was a donation.
Nothing's worse than a steady stream of sports teams, race car owners, churches, scouts, all with their hands out wanting something for nothing.
The best way to get that is to give your valuable work away to them.
I remember years ago someone bringing back last year's golf outing signs to be changed and my logo had been picked off all of them, leaving a nasty glue residue.
F that.
Love....jill

signmeup

andy nailed in post #57. The person you were dealing with wanted it to look like she was donating the signs. Listen to your wife though... you're already in a mess with the first gal, no need to piss the wife off too.