• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why is my GX24 cutting like this?

esi7esi7

Every now and then, the cut will be jagged and not go through the thickness of the vinyl. I'm not sure what is causing this. See the "s" and "o" in the attachments. I have tried replacing the blade.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• cut1.jpg
    cut1.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 88
  • cut2.jpg
    cut2.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 81

JimmyG

that would be the plotter "platen" strip Wiggum....

I suggest that the bearings in your blade holder needs a tiny bit of lubricant since it only happens on the curves as far as your pictures show....could also be a worn blade in combination with blade holder bearings...one would be surprized at the amount of "dust" that gets sucked into the blade holder....

:)~

MikePro

might need a new cutting strip.
+1

either that, or the blade holder.
something is inhibiting the blade from turning/cutting smoothly.. causing it to jump and tear.

strange that its not happening to all the cuts, or at least all the cuts in that spot on the axis.

SignProPlus-Chip

Could possibly be your cutting strip. Out of curiosity though, how far is your blade extended? A skipping and jagged perfed cut like that could be caused by an over extended blade.

S'N'S

These things could cause that
1. Blade sticking out to far,you should be able to run your finger over the end of the holder and "just" feel the tip of the blade.
2. Cutting strip all chopped up, usually you can test this by cutting a scrap on the other side of the cutter where it's used less.
3. Broken tip of cutting blade, I check mine with a jewelers eye glass.
4. Dust in the blade holder, clean with wd40 and re-oil with machine oil, there's a tiny bearing in there.
5. Too much downforce
By the looks of those cuts they are too deep, also the cuts are not starting and finishing in the same place, either change the blade offset or if you have a "overcut" function in your cutting program activate it.
Set the blade by removing the blade holder and hold like a pen and draw a circle in some scrap vinyl, adjust until it only cuts thru the vinyl and puts a faint mark in the backing paper. Replace and set the down force until it just cuts the vinyl and not the backing paper.

round man

all of the above and check inside your blade holder cap for tiny scraps of vinyl if you have the type holder with a screw on cap with a hole for a blade,....they occasionally get a tiny scrap of vinyl in them and don't turn curves too hot,...

esi7esi7

Thanks for all the suggestions!

The cutting strip was replaced only 2 months ago.
I checked the holder for vinyl and it seems okay.
I reduced the blade force and reduced the extension of the blade.
I used WD40 on the bearings.

And it worked, so far! Thanks everyone!

The offset is .250. I am not really sure if this is good or not, or know what to adjust it to.

thewvsignguy

that would be the plotter "platen" strip Wiggum....

I suggest that the bearings in your blade holder needs a tiny bit of lubricant since it only happens on the curves as far as your pictures show....could also be a worn blade in combination with blade holder bearings...one would be surprized at the amount of "dust" that gets sucked into the blade holder....

:)~

+1

SignProPlus-Chip

Thanks for all the suggestions!

The cutting strip was replaced only 2 months ago.
I checked the holder for vinyl and it seems okay.
I reduced the blade force and reduced the extension of the blade.
I used WD40 on the bearings.

And it worked, so far! Thanks everyone!

The offset is .250. I am not really sure if this is good or not, or know what to adjust it to.

.250 should be fine for a 45 degree blade.

FYI - WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. It's use should be resigned to being used as a penetrating agent to free up stuck items like rusty bolts, hinges etc...

It can be too aggressive on plastics, and can dissolve the lacquer used in insulating the magnetic wire in some motors.

WD stands for water displacement, and that is what the stuff is designed for....it just happens it also works as a penetrating agent as well.

White lithium grease would be a better lubricant for these circumstances.