• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

why there is no flash on iphone or ipad

animenick65

He is absolutely right. Flash was developed for use on desktop computers. Heck, it has trouble running on laptops without draining the crap out of your battery or burning your lap. It has no place on mobile devices unless they can design a mobile standard from the ground up.

tanneji

I find it funny that Apple keeps going after the companies that helped to make them. Adobe made Apple THE DESIGN COMPUTER and now they are going out of their way to say how bad Flash sucks. They integrated so tightly with Google on the iPhone and now they are telling google to beat it as well and are actually looking at teaming up with Bing (Microsoft) in future iterations of the iPhone. If Adobe suddenly started making terrible versions of Creative Suite for Mac Apple's computer business would take a big hit ... but they always have that iPhone, iTunes, etc market to fall back on.

Dice

Flash is not on the iphone or iPad because apple wants to protect their apple store, plain and simple. It's a money matter and Apple is a Sell out. Adobe has already developed a player for mobile but apple refuses to install it.

Tim Aucoin

Flash is old... plain and simple. Who really needs flash any more? Oh... the PC users, that's right! :doh:
In the letter, Steve points out Flash is a closed system, there are H.264 alternatives to Flash video and HTML5 and JavaScript are true open standards that Apple has embraced, while Adobe has continued to pour the juice into their proprietary systems. Yes, Steve points out that OS X is a proprietary OS. But despite Adobe's claims to have a proper, non-battery-sucking version of Flash on mobiles by 2009, they have yet to deliver and Steve calls them on it.

In a nutshell, Apple chastises Adobe for clinging to the past. In many ways they are right -- remember when Flash was a simple animation tool that created animations that were lighter than GIF animations?
2009 has come and long gone! Don't get me wrong, I use Adobe products daily and my business depends on them, but I have to agree with Apple on this one!

grafxxx

adobe is working with android systems, now and plus apples does not want developers using flash to make there apps. this is why i chose to go with andorid

javila

It'd be better if he just said "we can make more money without flash on our devices, than with it".

That's the real reason for the shunning apple is doing.

CES020

Bad mouth apple all you want, but just remember very few people have bet against apple and won. If Adobe would have gotten off their high horse and pulled their head out the sand, it would all be fine. Instead, they forced the issue by digging in their heels and now look what it got them, people, and a lot of people, for the first time are talking about moving past flash into HTML5 and others to display media.

So their own arrogance created the market against them. Somewhere, my bet is that there's a super arrogant VP somewhere in that decision.

Joe Diaz

If Adobe would have gotten off their high horse and pulled their head out the sand, it would all be fine. Instead, they forced the issue by digging in their heels and now look what it got them, people, and a lot of people, for the first time are talking about moving past flash into HTML5 and others to display media.

So their own arrogance created the market against them. Somewhere, my bet is that there's a super arrogant VP somewhere in that decision.

Wait a second, so it's Adobe's fault that Apple can't seem to figure out an effective way to integrate flash into it's products, when thousands of other hardware companies develop devices that can view flash? Keep in mind adobe hasn't changed their methods, Apple is the one making the changes. And it seems as though Apple is worried more about their needs than the needs of the people buying their products. Let the people decide whether or not they wan't to continue using flash. Don't try to make that decisions for your customers. And it is obvious that Apple buyers want flash. Otherwise this wouldn't be an issue. The only one displaying arrogance is the folks at apple.

And I highly doubt flash is going "downhill" because of this turn of events, especially with their future partnership with google. And also you need to keep in mind that this effects Apple too. We know this because people have been complaining about the iPhones lack of flash support for quite sometime now. This hurts them. The iPad is a very appealing product for a person like me, but it's lack of flash support is one of a few reasons why I won't purchase one. I have to figure there are others out there that feel the same way.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/04/10/five-tremendous-apple-vs-adobe-flash-myths/

I rarely use my iphone to look at websites, too small to read a typical page. Usually the best ones are optimized for phones and forego flash. I don't miss having flash on my iphone one bit. Flash has not been available ever and I don't think this is hurting sales too much.

In the early stages I can see where the lack of flash is an issue for the ipad since it is more of an internet device than the iphone is due to large form factor. However, many websites are offering non-flash versions specifically for the ipad and potentially a glimpse of the future of the web

artist4christ

There are a couple reasons, control of the iPhone OS and iPad OS is one of the primary concerns. Apple wants to restrict as much as they can and still make the money. Performance is an issue and that is par tof the reason for the flash restriction. HTML5 maybe be the new tech, but it as well as flash has restrictions and isn't widely used by broswers and in order for HTML 5 to "be the future" it has to have support and that will take a while for browsers and the general public to get caught up.

I am here nor there about it, flash is more capable than HTML5 for a lot of things, but that doesnt mean that HTML5 is a bad choice either.

I see the benefit in both so why not support both until HTML 5 stats can catch up.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I have friends into APP development and they agree with Steve Jobs, but they also agree that a customer should have a choice. One suggested a warning screen so the person can decide on whether to continue or not if performance was going to suffer using Flash...

I don't know if Jobs is a genius or a mad man, but this is also interesting news a friend sent to me today....

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2363273,00.asp
http://www.pcworld.com/article/195320/is_hps_slate_dead.html

I would think competition in the pad market would be a good thing for the IPAD, it may be that that support for touch software on the Windows platform is still a little buggy.

CES020

Wait a second, so it's Adobe's fault that Apple can't seem to figure out an effective way to integrate flash into it's products, when thousands of other hardware companies develop devices that can view flash?

Yes, that's what I'm saying Joe. Apple told them what needed to be done to run on their platform and they decided not to do it. Apple makes hardware. Without hardware, software is useless. If a hardware manufacturer says this is what we need from you, and you don't deliver it or work with them, then that's your fault.

Adobe can fix this to run under Apple's guidelines, but they won't. So what's going to happen? No Flash for iphones, or ipads, and we'll see HTML5 and H.264 get bigger and bigger. So who lost? Apple? I don't think so. I think Adobe is the one that will lose in this.

Just my opinion, I'm nobody special.

Oh, this just in from Microsoft :

The future of the web is HTML5. Microsoft is deeply engaged in the HTML5 process with the W3C. HTML5 will be very important in advancing rich, interactive web applications and site design. The HTML5 specification describes video support without specifying a particular video format. We think H.264 is an excellent format. In its HTML5 support, IE9 will support playback of H.264 video only.

So it's Apple and Microsoft not supporting flash as the playback method for video. So now all that think it's all Apple and their arrogance can expand that to include Microsoft as well