• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why you should measure

onesource

I was called to install 2 - 5'x10' faces tonight for a customer of mine. Now my customer owns a sign shop and while selling these faces offered to measure the sign as we all should do, his customer says we have measured the sign 3 times it is a 5x10. I measured before pulling the old faces and the sign was 64"x10'........ouch!.
Just a reminder to guestimates and customer s measurements.

iceracer

I know a sign company here in Toronto that about 15 years ago sent their installer to measure brick to brick openings for 25 light boxes in a strip mall. He measured the first 10, then "eye balled" the rest. Guess how many had to be re configured?

onesource

Quicker to pull a tape than build a sign. This is the most important part the right size dictates profit/loss, safety and pricing.

Mosh

I always go measure. I had a customer tell me his pole sign was 4x4. It was 10'x10', He didn't believe me until we had the sign cabinet down on the ground. Stuff looks smaller 25 feet in the air.

Charlie J

I lost my butt on a sign that I measured without removing the sides of the cabinet. I cut my plastic to 48"x96".

Turned out that 48" was too short. Had to be 48.75" or the faces would fall out.

WB

We just a wall at a local Mall.. They seny us Blue Prints and measurements.. What more could you want.. I get there and go to put thr graphics on, they,re 6' short.. 30' of wall graphics of a city, minus 6' equals no city-hall in the picture..

Who's at fault,, them for sending us band specs?? or us for not going and verifing sizes??

Techman

Always make your own measurements.
Especially if you want to use my specs and get a lower bid from someone else. I guarantee the new face will never fit.

Checkers

What Tech said :)

Always do your own surveys and be sure to measure the panel you're replacing and not the can.

Checkers

Went to install some vinyl here recently on a golf cart hood. "The hood measures 1'x4', so make the logo fit in that area."

Well, after cutting, masking, and driving 15 minutes..found out it actually measures about 10"x28"..

Never again, called them..told them scenario - now they have decals on the hood AND the back :)

Craig Sjoquist

is measuring a new concept ?

sees alot of advertising that was not measured and I wonder all that equipment to make advertising perfect and they can't get it straight, proportioned, or even close but still get paid
my customers or self will not let me get away with the garbage

signage

Craig measuring is going the way of math in schools! You don't need to measure anything on a computer just guess/look! hehehehehehe

skyhigh

I can only imagine the look on everyone's face when you gave them the news. So who is taking the rap?

This must not be very high if the customer (didn't) measured 3 times.

ABPGraphics

DITTO

I just finished two jobs that the measurements were critical.......I am with everyone either you measure yourself or Your primary installer should measure.....both jobs would have been wrong if we had listened to the client

onesource

" you're kidding right" 20' to top' it can be an expensive mistake..I would think the business owner but that is between them, I'm just putting them in.
I can only imagine the look on everyone's face when you gave them the news. So who is taking the rap?

This must not be very high if the customer (didn't) measured 3 times.

onesource

This is important in any industry...and we are not even in the .100's / hundred thousandths. Imagine misreading a micrometer on a critical gasket that causes a space shuttle to go boom!