• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why you should measure

Rooster

I don't know what the hell's going on with this one sign I have in the shop.

I've cut the damn thing down three times already and it's still too short.

chachimacho

Our salesman measured a job recently that included a wall graphic at 20' x 4'. It was really 30' x 4', 1". He quoted the job with the wrong numbers.

Our project manager basically called my partner and me liars because we couldn't get 26' in the air with 3 5' sections of scaffolding. I had to go back and use the customers "26' lift" that only reached 24'.

Measuring and simple math has gone the way of the buffalo. I can't complain too much because their incompetence keeps me busy!

I lost my butt on a sign that I measured without removing the sides of the cabinet. I cut my plastic to 48"x96".

Turned out that 48" was too short. Had to be 48.75" or the faces would fall out.

we did this. we took some wood and cut about 1/2" pieces of wood to raise it up in the retainer and it worked. Thank God.

Ken

OK...I'll chime in...but this one was my mistake...ughhh...
I had measured..12 foot 3 inches by 49 inches tall..to fit in an existing sign cabinet.(Weird dimensions, I thought)...
When I got to the saw( without my paper...just my memory...I cut 12'3" x 48 inches.
OHH...I'm so embarassed when I get to the site...Frick...I had to redo the panel....about $400 materials... still choking on that!
Cheers!
Ken

onesource

I have never mismeasured something to cost me money but I did learn to use inches only.
I once had written a face size down in feet & inches and 6'1" was mistaken for 61" yup to short and my fault, after I looked at the sheet I could see where it was easily mistaken.
Also had a rope work loose and lost 2- 6x8 faces....never used that cheap ass yellow rope since then.

RoyWraps

I just blame the signmaker that did a sign 98" by 49" inserts. Instead of a standard 4x8.
I just don't get it. Yes I do measure but some just don't measure up. yadda yadda

onesource

When fabricating a 4x8 with vertical lamps it allows you to make a 1" raceway for the lamp sockets which gives clearance from the bottom of the socket to the bottom of the raceway. Most cabinets that are dead on have horizontal lamps or another source of lighting. You can use 42" lamps with a 12" cabinet and it will light fine and then it can be dead on 4x8. But no one does it.
I just blame the signmaker that did a sign 98" by 49" inserts. Instead of a standard 4x8.
I just don't get it. Yes I do measure but some just don't measure up. yadda yadda

mark in tx

My favorite mistake is being 20 feet up in the air on a ladder, and using a battery powered saw to cut 1 inch of lexan off the end of the face to get it into the cabinet.