• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

will I use this fancy hold-down hardware kit?

iSign

So far, I love the CNC I've been running for close to a year now. I've not done nearly as much with it as I hope to, but it's provided me all of the new challenges, excitement, and opportunity for growth that was anticipated. It has also resulted in a few very obscure unanticipated jobs that were not exactly signs, but were highly profitable, and both pushed me to learn more of the versatility of CNC work in general, and my machine in particular.

Being a tool addict, I often cruise the penny-saver pamphlets, garage sales & of course my new favorite, craigslist.

Anyway, a neighbor is selling a set of small clamps & hold-down tabs and screws, along with an aluminum surface with a series of threaded holes for attaching the various clamps, to use for clamping down work for CNC routing.

I can see how I would be able to screw (or clamp) this aluminum surface to my spoil board, even add a mini spoilboard on this aluminum surface, calibrate the table to recognize the new surface, & then with the use of these hold-down tabs, clamps, screws & the tables gridwork of threaded holes... there is the potential to assist with holding down smaller items that could then be routed into, & even cut out. (into the mini spoil board)

The question is do any of the more experienced router owners think this "kit" has a better than even chance of coming in to use for me some day? So far, I have not had any need for such a complex hold down system, & have screwed items right into my spoilboard in the past, when an item is not easily held by my 20HP vacuum pump, for whatever reason, however I do recognize the time that can be lost in figuring out a custom jig for a multitude of possibilities going forward the next several years. I also recognize that whenever new tools present new solutions, then things I might have thought I couldn't do will become possible, or things that seemed time consuming or even cost prohibitive will possibly turn into profitable jobs that i otherwise may have passed up.

So, to me, I believe a price of $325 could be recovered the first one or two times this kit helped me do something I might otherwise not have done... I just don't know how likely it is that one or two situations like this will ever arise.

I'll paste in the description from the ad, & a photo. I actually saw this item before, & it wasn't for sale at that time. I'll be going to look at it again in an hour or so. I look forward to any replies, pro or con:

Clamping jig - extreme hold down clamping for doing machining, CNC milling or routing or any work on a piece of material... $325.00.
Includes all pictured clamps, graduated lengths of ¼ inch hex bolts allow for varied heights of work pieces.
The 1 inch thick aluminum plate (20" x 46") is drilled and tapped for the ¼ inch bolts for hold-down.
All holes are plugged with set screws to keep them clean.
Includes 3 sizes of angle brackets for flexibility in clamping for work on material at any angle.
A precise traveling vise is included for precise positioning of workpieces.

By the way, what does  mean?

Attachments

• tooladdict.jpg
    tooladdict.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 135
Considering that you already have vacuum, and that you have already used the "alternate" (aka screws) - no. More than anything it looks to be more cumbersome to even fool with, UNLESS you are doing a bunch of little things and I do not see you staring the MC for "itsy bitsy stuff".

Having not seen you table surface, I am assuming that you do have t-slots for holding. If you want mechanical holding a sheet of any substrate with slots will work.

chopper

As Pro signs and graphics stated,
I think it would be a waste of money, I think that as the odd jobs come up you will devise a clamping method that works for each job and then put them in the drawer for later use once you have made them, bought them etc...
I have not come across a job that could not be screwed to the table or held with a combination of clamps, and or vacuum...
but as things progress who knows what will be need that is why I do not worry about it till it is needed..good luck and I am happy to see that you are enjoying your cnc machine
//chopper

iSign

thanks guys... I know that my addiction has gotten the best of me a few times, which is why I call it an addiction. It wasn't so bad before, because i was "shopping" for deals, and there were tools I knew i could use but didn't want to pay new prices for... so little by little, I got pretty nearly everything I need... so now I end up looking at things I don't need.

I'll take you guy's advice & save my money!

Techman

ya,, that set up is for a milling machine.. Those angle blocks give it all away.

Programing the router to go over or around the clamps will be a lot of extra work..

Typestries

Sorry to disagree folks, but I think he WILL use these, I have hold downs very similar, as as you get into doing different things with and pushing the limits of your router, these will come in handy. And yes, I too use a big vacuum, spoilboards, screws and the like. But clamps can rock in many situations. Just my 2¢

iSign

Thanks Rick,
I told the guy I did some research with my network of CNC peers & came to look at his set-up again, even though I knew I wasn't rushing into anything.

I said I wanted to look it over again real good & then if I find myself thinking about it again, I will have a very clear understanding of what he has. He made it himself, & like others recognized, used it with a CNC mill.

I have no doubt the majority opinion that the majority of us wouldn't use this is correct. I do see possibilities, as does Rick. In a different economy, those possibilities might justify the gamble of funds. Today, I can't justify the gamble. I also doubt there will be any great rush on this purchase from anyone else... so if a job comes up later this year, that would require this, it may still be there, and if so, the seller may settle for a lower price.

For now, I have made the decision to pass it up. Thanks again everyone!

james mcgrew

lotta ways to hold something down, i got three festool clamps and drilled holes to specs, table can be put up when not in use.

great tool when needed

jim

Attachments

• table-1.jpg
    table-1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 121

james mcgrew

multiple options

here are a few, my festool table works well and is removable when i am doing sheetgoods, i intend to build the t-track into the new machine table.

jim

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 17190.jpg
    17190.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 17291.jpg
    17291.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 116
  • h5740.jpg
    h5740.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1531.jpg
    IMG_1531.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2180.jpg
    IMG_2180.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 107

Biker Scout

Coming from one tool junkie to another, normally I'd say you were a moron for passing up such a great deal for a fixturing jig. But if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. I get caught into the trap of buying tools and such just hoping that the need will arise. And they do... but now, I just have to settle for buying when and if the need arises and I've exhausted all of my "MacGyver Resources & Abilities."

GARY CULY

MY .02 i dont have a cnc machine but ive grown up in a tool shop ..allthough that deal is for any "mill" or cnc i couldnt pass that up at 325.00 theres a lot of trick gadgets that you can have handy to even adapt to another surface ..piece by piece that would cost a lot ...now im a pack rat ..but i got got a lot of stuff"just in case"i need it ...buy it

JK driver

Been using CNC routers for over 11 years. Used to use the t-slots and clamps with the vac table on the Gerber 408 Sabre router. But since I started using the Multicam routers the vac table just about does it all. I occasionally put a couple C-clamps on a sheet that I think might slip. Just for insurance.