• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will SP-300 Print and Cut on Magnets?

Designer85

A newbie question I know, but I couldn't find this answer anywhere. Will the SP-300 actually print and cut on magnet material or do you have to print on vinyl and apply to the magnet seperately?

I've got a client that wants some custom cut magnets in a small quantity. I would normally get this order to a vendor but the quantity is too small for their minimums and since I just bought the SP-300 I thought maybe I could do this myself.

If so what's the best type of material (brand or item#) Thanks!

signage

This has been discussed before if you have a head strike it could ruin your head. Do you want to take the chance? Also the magnetic material is much heavier and put more wear and tear on the drive motors.

neato

And actually Sign Business magazine has an article on printing Magnetic material this month...

Designer85

Thanks guys.
I appreciate the catalog link Gerry, and Phillip, I'll try to get a copy of that magazine.

I just got the SP-300 a week or two ago and know absolutely nothing about this end of the business. I'm a graphic designer that has been slowly trying to bring in as much machinery as I can to keep things done in-house.
I do screen printing, paper printing and web design in house and when my contract vinyl guy when out of business I bought his SP-300.

I'm amazed and exited at what I've seen it do so far and I'm trying to learn as much as I can so I don't mess this investment up! (So I've been reading all the posts in this website to get as many pointers as possible!)

mark in tx

Magnetics can be done in your machine, but I don't recommend it after having tried it.
The weight of the material puts a lot of extra strain on the motors, and the head can strike the material too easily, both of which can cause thousand dollar repairs.

Print on regular adhesive vinyl, apply that to the magnetic, then cut them by hand. You don't have to cut all the way through the magnet, just through the top layer, a little deeper cut than if you are scoring the material. Then literally pull the piece apart. Use a sharp X-Acto and change the blade as soon as you see the vinyl tear instead of cut.