• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will this work for a workstation ???

zoiko

Hi, I am building a windows xp box. A good friend gave me a new AMD athlon 64X2 dual core processor (3800+,2Ghz,640kb+640kb cache) And a ATI Radeon
HD 3600 series Graphics card. I would like to know if the card is 256MB or 512MB. I cannot find the info. I am not looking for a super fast computer, just something to have for some windows programs, Adobe CS3, Corel X4, Flexi.

One more thing .... How much ram should i have if i decide to use this set-up
Thanks.

zoiko

Thanks rock .... yea thats a good answer, You think the parts i got are good to use for the project or should i do some shopping.

Techman

Will be fine. I still use a P4 2.4 cpu and its plenty fast enuf for most of what I do.

don't know for sure but those HD radeons 3600 series are usually 512 if i remember right..

Get at least 1 gig of ram.

rockz12

Specializing in the strange and unusual
Did he just give you the processor or a computer? If you are building it get an ASUS mother board and some SATA drives..

Letterbox Mike

If you're running CS3 I'd get more than 1gb of RAM. RAM's cheap nowadays, get 2 or 3GB if it won't break the bank. Photoshop will thank you for it.

zoiko

Rock he just gave me those two things, We are looking at some cases and all the good stuff like the logic board, power supply box and hard drives ..... my son is going to have two hard drives on it, 1 for linux and the other for windows xp we plan on having 4 gigs of ram .... Thats why i want to know if we are going overboard with the stuff we have so far. Thanks for the replies.

SignBurst PCs

RAM is inexpensive right now. I would load up as much as you motherboard can hold (usually 4GB or 8GB).

You will need to stick to 32 Bit Windows (4GB RAM Max) unless you are running Flexi 8.5.

If you are running Flexi 8.5 you can most likely install 64 Bit XP and use 8GB of RAM if your motherboard can hold it. CS3 and Corel will run on 64 Bit XP very well. There are a couple tricks to get CS3 installed correctly, but I will help you out if you decide to go this route. Just let me know.

zoiko

Thanks Casey.... Yea i will take you up on the help. Thanks everyone, I know i can count on some great help here from everyone.

GK

If you're running CS3 I'd get more than 1gb of RAM. RAM's cheap nowadays, get 2 or 3GB if it won't break the bank. Photoshop will thank you for it.

Photoshop CS3 requires a minimum of 512megs and Illustrator does as well. If you are doing a design running these both simultaneously you are up to a gig right there. Take into account your operating system and any additional background processes and 2 gigs looks like the minimum you should be using just to have these programs open without even using them heavily.

SignBurst PCs

Thanks Casey.... Yea i will take you up on the help. Thanks everyone, I know i can count on some great help here from everyone.

I sure would consider Vista 64 though! CS4 is just around the corner and it will be 64 Bit VISTA compatible. You won't be limited to 3 GB of RAM in Photoshop anymore.

Flexi 8.5 should be able to run on Vista 64 as well (so says the Flexi engineer I spoke to at SGIA).