• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

win 10 beware

Techman

According to the report, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will become a “recommended update” in 2016, and anyone who has automatic updates activated will have the new program installed automatically on their PC.

After it has downloaded, the Windows 10 installer will begin. At that point, users will need to actively cancel Windows 10.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2015/10/windows-10-to-automatically-download-on-your-pcs/#ykzk0KsvSO5WA7rE.99

win 10 will be an advertising portal. That is how you will pay for it,, So it is not so FREE after all. Most of the underground suspected win 10 would revert to a subscription deal.. However it is moving towards something even more onerous as an advertising port..

Kottwitz-Graphics

Thanks for the heads up.

I have a new laptop with Windows 8.1, and I got the "free" upgrade to 10... so I thought heck yeah...

Needless to say, I was ready to switch back within the hour. I had issues with several programs, that all worked fine with 8.1, that all seemed to become "buggy".

Took me a couple of days to get it back to 8.1, and configured back to where I liked it.

As much as they are pushing Windows 10, it should make every one suspicious of what Microsoft's hidden agenda actually is. I mean if 10 is so freaking great, what are they giving away all these free upgrades? They never did that with any other windows releases.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I'm still running Win 7, why is there no way to remove that annoying little Win 10 icon in the lower right corner of my taskbar.....?

JB

visual800

what if you cut updates off? go deep in the control panel under system properties and cut all the crap off? dont know just asking.

ya'll say Im crazy but Ive been screaming about cutting windows updates off. they are uneccesary. they call them secuity issues but I call it BS! I think its just another way for them to infiltrate issues. when you buy a new comp with windows it runs fine right? when you update then you start having issues

WildWestDesigns

what if you cut updates off? go deep in the control panel under system properties and cut all the crap off? dont know just asking.

The article states those with auto updates turned on get the update, so I would imagine that turning it off would negate that. I've never seen the Win 10 icon when I had Win 7s directly installed on my computers, but I had auto updates off.

I'm so glad that I've gone to Fedora and just use Win 7 Pro in a VM with all outside connectivity turned off. Only bad thing is that when Win 7 reaches EOL, later versions of software that we use may or may not work on Win 7 and those companies won't support it. Now I'm not too worried about it with regard to Adobe as I plan to just stay with CS6 due to their subscription model. Wilcom (for me) may be a different story, but I can always run Win 10 in a VM as well with no connectivity.

The reason for the VMs, instead of a straight install, is modern hardware might keep you from installing the older OS on a modern computer. VMs don't have direct access to hardware, the extensions of the VM program trick the OS into thinking everything is good, while the OS might hiccup on a direct install. Only bad thing is resources of the host computer.

kheebl

I am glad I bought Win 7 pro when I just had my new computer built. The guy at micro center looked at me like I was crazy or something when I told him to put win 7 and not 10 on the computer.

Bly

Oh yeah why would you want the latest operating system with all the security vulnerabilities fixed at no cost?

visual800

what vulnerabilities? what xactly are they referring to when they call it this? im interested in knowing and why have I been running windows 7 with no updates for a few years now with ZERO problems?

updates are like the flu shot, scare tactic.

Techman

I think its just another way for them to infiltrate issues

Yes, M$ has been adding in some of those KB updates that include some of the advertizing modules to win 7 and win 8 . No updates means no advertizing modules.

Also be aware that firefox has been adding in advertizing modules as well. How have noticed firefox crashing and freezing lately??

player

Firefox has been crashing watching videos on pc's for almost a year for me. It is almost always related to Flash.

CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH
CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH

WildWestDesigns

what vulnerabilities? what xactly are they referring to when they call it this? im interested in knowing and why have I been running windows 7 with no updates for a few years now with ZERO problems?

updates are like the flu shot, scare tactic.

There are vulnerabilities that all systems have. Now rather or not all of update is really necessary, that is the question. Now matter how much you test something before it's release, it's going to have flaws in it. Without question. Go through the update list and see what all it's putting in there. I attached a screenshot of how it looks on my system.

Flash is a well known vector for viruses. In all honesty, I have the flash plugin disabled on my system and it doesn't prevent me from enjoying video content. Maybe 1 out of every 200 videos that I encounter doesn't play due to it still being flash and sometimes it's videos that I'm glad that I don't have to deal with.

I have not had any issues with Firefox freezing or crashing as far back as I can remember. If it happens while Flash is playing then there might be something hinky with that flash content. Not necessary a virus, but it could be with how the flash was created. Disable Flash for awhile and give it a whirl without that and see how it fairs.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2015-11-01 05-48-08.png
    Screenshot from 2015-11-01 05-48-08.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 139

visual800

i dumped firefox and few months ago cause I couldnt listen to online radio without it freezing up and went with opera. i really dig opera. i was an avid firefox guy but just like everything else that comes out, they gotta go and start sucking.

also started running Avira antivirus. I was using avast but it started having issues.
steve jobs despised flash....hmmm wonder why? lol

Kottwitz-Graphics

ya'll say Im crazy but Ive been screaming about cutting windows updates off. they are uneccesary. they call them secuity issues but I call it BS! I think its just another way for them to infiltrate issues. when you buy a new comp with windows it runs fine right? when you update then you start having issues

Ok, for those of us not that computer savvy, how do we do that?

Christian @ 2CT Media

Who cares? Like everything in this day and age its all got to be funded some how. Windows being an open system, Microsoft will release a pay to stop option, some innovative software writer will release a free option, and most will ignore it. You show me one thing that doesn't have advertising any more: your phone has it, TV has it, radio has it, your drive has it, your internet has it, and on and on.

If obscure ads for free os and updates is all you have to deal with, then I say "no big deal".

If you research the subject, Microsoft will be updating all OS versions back to 7 with ads in various places.... So good luck with never updating to protect against os exploits.