• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

win 10 wil be FreE?????

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Ummmm... ooookaaaayyyyyy
Not that I'm smugly saying this because I have a PC as well, but Mac upgrades
have been free for the last 2 updates (Mavericks and Yosemite). Would be nice
to get both OS upgrades for free.

Neener indeed!

player

Who wants to upgrade from Win7? I hate app store crap and Android. I have 2 Android tablets, plus a Samsung S4 Mini I got a few days ago. They grab hold of your identity and are relentless.

Also the tablets are so limited compared to Windows.

I have a Win8 laptop, and again all that app crap... I loaded a small program called "Start Is Back" that brings back a Win7 start and menu.

WildWestDesigns

Who wants to upgrade from Win7? I hate app store crap and Android. I have 2 Android tablets, plus a Samsung S4 Mini I got a few days ago. They grab hold of your identity and are relentless.

Also the tablets are so limited compared to Windows.

I have a Win8 laptop, and again all that app crap... I loaded a small program called "Start Is Back" that brings back a Win7 start and menu.

I don't know where you get this.

I have a Cintiq Companion tablet and it didn't require any more personal info then Win 7 did for activation.

Also, this tablet runs a full Win 8.1 Pro OS, I run the entire CS6 Suite and my digitizing software. Now, I personally wouldn't do the android tablets, as you say, the apps are limited, get one that runs the full Win OS and there are several tablets that fit that bill (Cintiq Companion being one).

If you have the tablet, you won't need "Start is Back". I personally don't understand what all the fuss is about with regard the start menu and I'm probably one of the worst people to handle change then most. And we do have one Win 8 desktop (no touchscreen monitors) and don't have the "Start is Back" (or equivalent) program on there.

Ironically, I think the original start menu has been in several beta releases for Win 8, but always pushed back at the last minute before what ever service pack was released.

player

Win8 is similar to Android with the app crap. You can't just load a program. Then the app host gives all your identity info to every piece of crapware loaded. Win7 you just go to a site and load.

I don't like the Win8 start page with the squares that are programs. I am happy for you to have taken to Win8 so readily. Me, not so much.

WildWestDesigns

Win8 is similar to Android with the app crap. You can't just load a program. Then the app host gives all your identity info to every piece of crapware loaded. Win7 you just go to a site and load.

Are you talking about the Start Tiles? All my programs that load within the desktop tile are loaded as normal, just like Win 7.

That's probably the biggest difference that I can see between my experience and yours. The only tiles that I have on my start page is the Desktop tile and the tiles for the programs that open within the desktop tile. So all roads lead to the desktop tile.

graphicwarning

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Mac updates have never been free..... you just pay for them upfront when you buy the computer.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I don't like the Win8 start page with the squares that are programs. I am happy for you to have taken to Win8 so readily. Me, not so much.

Windows 8/8.1 is no different in the way it handles programs. You don't have to use the app store, you can install all of your programs the same way as before.

Windows 8 gets a bad rap, yet I still find it to be the best OS they have released. Windows 8 has awesome resource releasing when using demanding programs like we use, side by side windows 8.1 is faster then windows 7.

WildWestDesigns

Windows 8/8.1 is no different in the way it handles programs. You dont have to use the app store, you can install all of your programs the same way as before.

Windows 8 gets a bad rap, yet I still find it to be the best OS they have released. Windows 8 has awesome resource releasing when using demanding program an like we use, side by side windows 8.1 is faster then windows 7.

I have to agree with all of the above.

I have to wonder if it is more about people not liking the drastic change that you had between Win 8 and Win 7. I think MS went too far over to the touchscreen/portable and that was just too much change for some people to handle within one release. Especially for the desktop users.

WildWestDesigns

Think the biggest mistake they made was not including a classic mode, For those who couldn't get past all the changes.

I agree, there were better ways to facilitate easier change over then what they did. However, I think also a good portion of the consumers didn't want the change or have to deal with it period.

I remember when I got my Cintiq tablet, I was concerned after hearing all the horror stories about Win 8 and I would say a good solid weekend and it was nothing to it. I think it hurt my head more trying to use the Mac during that brief foray then trying to get used to Win 8.

But that could just be me.

AF

The changes in Win 8 were not universally accepted and largely despised by people from all aspects of computer use. The fact that it changed didn't mean the changes were good. Win XP to Win 7 was the point in windows timeline where MS finally figured out its niche in the world of operating systems and evolved its UI to a point where anyone could use it. Win 8 tossed that out and went with something that caused a lot of backlash and confusion. The reality is that the tiles interface worked fine on a phone but not so much on a pc, that is why third party programs to circumvent the tiles have been so successful. I use win 8.1 on a laptop and basically only use that particular machine when absolutely necessary. I personally prefer the pre-Win 8 tile UI so I find that I use Win 7 more than Win 8/8.1 and Mac for business stuff. Win8 Preview had a real start menu, so why people believe that it is taking MS years to "test and develop" the start menu back into the OS is a real head spinner.

rjssigns

Still running XP Pro on our RIP server and one design computer. :noway: Haven't gone past Snow Leopard on my Mac. :noway:

IMO if it does not make stuff faster, infinitely easier, more stable all while decreasing my overall workload I do not care one whit about it.

In plain terms software developers want your money thus are forced to "innovate" to get your money. More often than not the latest packages come burdened with useless bloatware.

Seems no one is interested in making a hardcore, stable, stripped down OS for businesses anymore.

WildWestDesigns

Still running XP Pro on our RIP server and one design computer. :noway: Haven't gone past Snow Leopard on my Mac. :noway:

IMO if it does not make stuff faster, infinitely easier, more stable all while decreasing my overall workload I do not care one whit about it.

I find this surprising. For me, Win 7 is much faster and efficient compared to XP. Now if you are also using 32bit programs as well, then it won't make a lick of difference as your programs will be the bottleneck.

I actually have less resources in my Cintiq tablet with Win 8 Pro compared to my Toshiba laptop with Win 7 Pro and the tablet does circles around the laptop.

So I'm seeing a disconnect there.

In MY experience anyway.

Now again, if you are using legacy software, that's going to be your bottleneck.

Seems no one is interested in making a hardcore, stable, stripped down OS for businesses anymore.

It's called Linux. Which I would prefer to run, but the tools that I need to do work aren't ported over there and the open source programs that are available haven't seen active development in going on 14 yrs (not talking about Inkscape and/or GIMP) other then to port to later OSs.

AF

Linux is not a good business solution for a PC. Besides the atrocious desktop software offerings, commercial desktop software is scarce. Drivers for devices are not very good. It also requires someone with intimate knowledge of Linux to maintain in a busy work environment. Linux is also heavily fractured with the plethora of different distributions out there making commercial software unattractive in the future. Free BSD has a better offering in that the entire system is controlled from kernel to packages, but it is unlikely to become a business option anytime soon.

They figured that since Obama's giving away free community college they might as well give away their free crappy OS.

By the way the last two Mac updates have been free -- Windows is just copying AGAIN...

WildWestDesigns

Linux is not a good business solution for a PC. Besides the atrocious desktop software offerings, commercial desktop software is scarce.

That is the biggest drawback that I'm aware of. That has changed though slightly, but at a snail's pace.

Drivers for devices are not very good.

For the ones that I've needed, I've never had an issue for devices, but then again, most of my devices can run dependent of a computer.

It also requires someone with intimate knowledge of Linux to maintain in a busy work environment.

No matter what setup you have, you are going to have to have someone that has an "intimate knowledge" in order to efficiently maintain the status quo.

Linux is also heavily fractured with the plethora of different distributions out there making commercial software unattractive in the future.

The core aspect of Linux in all of those distributions that I have seen and messed around with are essentially the same. Unless there is something that I'm missing, which can be the case. I typically know enough to cause trouble.

I highly doubt that everyone would be happy with any type of solution out there. That's going to be the big problem. Everything that I need works on Windows, so that will have to work.