• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

win 8.1 coming out. and technet is killed.

Techman

However it still carries that monstrosity metro for desktop usage..

Metro is ok on consumer products tablets etc.. for surfing and email while sitting on a sofa..
It will increase battery life and is a no brainer for laptop usage..

However,,
Metro is useless on desktops. Desktops are for people who actually use a computer for work and to create. The metro on win 8 is the hindrance.
That is unless one watches the 15 minute training vid. But then it is only slightly better. And who wants to watch another training vid?

Yes M$ has added back the start menu using the windows key, Finally they have a use for that key.

Search is an easily remembered Win-F from anywhere, for almost anything.. but its still not the best as it was in NT versions.. But slightly better than that animated but much hated search puppy.

And on another note. M$ is killing the TechNet subscriptions. So those who wish to get in on the super software deals may wish to signup/re-up one more time to get your CD keys.

kanini

Been using win since 3.11 and the 8 is... not good for productivity. It is as you said a consumer product, but I really miss a business oriented version, seems as MS forgot people actually do some work with their computers also... But maybe it'll get better when the start menu returns.

choucove

I'm working on getting the Windows 8.1 preview downloaded now for testing, but I will be curious how it can help improve functionality over Windows 8. I know that Windows 8 can be clunky to get around in on the desktop, especially for someone who is just getting into it for the first time. I've found, though, that I spend 99% of the time on the Desktop so for me it functions just like Windows 7 except for having to pull up apps or shut down the computer.

Do you know, did they introduce the "switch" that allows you to choose between boot to Metro and boot to Desktop in the 8.1 preview? There's been a lot of discussion and rumor on this since 8.1 was announced, but last I had heard Microsoft was still planning to introduce it so users were able to load straight into the Desktop instead of directly to the Start Menu.

rjssigns

I'm always amused with MicroSoft's commercials. They always talk about how easy it is to keep track of your friends, or Tweet, or play with pictures blah blah blah... Never anything in a hardcore business environment. Never anything how it will help streamline mundane everyday business tasks. Nothing about a slick QuickBooks interface or merge functionality between programs. To me that speaks volumes.
We have 3 PC's at the shop and still run XP Pro. Ha!
All design work gets done on a Mac.

WildWestDesigns

We have 3 PC's at the shop and still run XP Pro. Ha!

64 bit version (there were 64 bit versions for those that didn't know, I know shocker right?) or just the 32 bit?

I think Win 7 is the new XP. Miles ahead of XP, but then again, I disliked XP even when it was new.

Baz

XP 64 was no good ... No 16 bit support .. Many programs would simply not install due to their "installers" being created in 16 bit.

I am shopping for a new home pc and looks like it's going to be Windows 7 64 for me. Screw Metro.

rjssigns

64 bit version (there were 64 bit versions for those that didn't know, I know shocker right?) or just the 32 bit?

I think Win 7 is the new XP. Miles ahead of XP, but then again, I disliked XP even when it was new.

Our XP is 32 bit. When we get a new PC it will have Win 7 on it. At some point I'll have a cnc in the shop and I'm going to try and run it with Linux.

If I had an ounce of computer intteligence I'd design an OS without all the garbage they come with now.

WildWestDesigns

Our XP is 32 bit. When we get a new PC it will have Win 7 on it. At some point I'll have a cnc in the shop and I'm going to try and run it with Linux.

If I had an ounce of computer intteligence I'd design an OS without all the garbage they come with now.

I would use Linux as a base and just tweak it to your liking. I do that on a very small scale.

If everything goes to a cloud and/or subscription type of service only, I might have to just go with Linux, since I'll have a better chance at running the older software (CS5) on that system using WINE then with having to deal with a new OS (especially if they all continue like Win 8; if they were smart they would have had a desktop version and mobile version).

rjssigns

I would use Linux as a base and just tweak it to your liking. I do that on a very small scale.

If everything goes to a cloud and/or subscription type of service only, I might have to just go with Linux, since I'll have a better chance at running the older software (CS5) on that system using WINE then with having to deal with a new OS (especially if they all continue like Win 8; if they were smart they would have had a desktop version and mobile version).

It seems with things going cloud based the market is ripe for open source.

A cnc forum I belong to has an open source v-carve style program written by one of its members. Seems to work quite well as members have posted project photos. Best part is if you need to do something particular you PM the guy and he writes code for it. Try doing that with any name brand software. I think his software will be whoop *ss since it is a collaborative effort by guys that actually make a living doing cnc work.

BTW for all you naysayers and others that said the Cloud will prevent hacking. Adobe Creative Cloud has already been hacked. This comes right from my former college professor. He attends many design and software conferences all over the United States. When I mentioned what some folks said about Adobe CC being harder to hack he laughed. His words: Really?! Pff...that's old news.

WildWestDesigns

It seems with things going cloud based the market is ripe for open source.

A cnc forum I belong to has an open source v-carve style program written by one of its members. Seems to work quite well as members have posted project photos. Best part is if you need to do something particular you PM the guy and he writes code for it. Try doing that with any name brand software. I think his software will be whoop *ss since it is a collaborative effort by guys that actually make a living doing cnc work.

I agree.

The only thing that will keep me back though is the only half way decent digitizing program that is open source is way to immature for professional use. GIMP does enough (and more) then what I use Ps for. Inkscape has some things that I would like to see tweaked a little more. I can see those things happening with the way that Adobe has gone. If Corel follows behind them then I can see it happening pretty quick. The digitizing program is probably too niche and more then like won't happen. Just have to hope that WINE get's far enough a long that I can run it with my program.

Times like this, I wish I could really write code.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Time will tell if Win 8.1 is much of an improvement over 8. Ran 8 for about a week on a test machine. Reloaded 7 pretty quick.... Actually glad to hear that MS is killing off TechNet subscriptions. One less unfair advantage for those who abused it - in other words TechNet never was intended for someone to just run their business and the licensing specifically states that all TechNet licenses are NOT for production use. I'd venture to guess that probably well over half of the TechNet subscriptions were not being used for learning and technical training as was the intention of TechNet. Businesses that abuse something like TechNet that way are, like it or not, ILLEGALLY gaining an advantage over honest businesses. There is no valid justification for theft or illegal use of software. There is always the full MSDN subscriptions still.... but I doubt many want to pay close to 2 grand for it.

TechNet license terms for all software obtained through the TechNet program. Includes Windows versions (desktop, server), Office, everything....

You may not use the software if you do not have an active subscription.
You may install and use the software on your devices only to evaluate the software.
You may not use the software in a live operating environment, in a staging environment, or with data that has not been backed up.
You may not use the software for software development or in an application development environment.
The components of each software program are licensed as a single unit. You may not separate the components and install them on different devices.
You may not share, transfer, resell, or assign your subscription or the software.

For system techs wanting to learn, pretty much all Microsoft software is available as trial-ware that will work 100% for a period of time. For resellers there are other options like though the Partner Program and for developers, of course MSDN is still available.

rjssigns

I agree.

The only thing that will keep me back though is the only half way decent digitizing program that is open source is way to immature for professional use. GIMP does enough (and more) then what I use Ps for. Inkscape has some things that I would like to see tweaked a little more. I can see those things happening with the way that Adobe has gone. If Corel follows behind them then I can see it happening pretty quick. The digitizing program is probably too niche and more then like won't happen. Just have to hope that WINE get's far enough a long that I can run it with my program.

Times like this, I wish I could really write code.

Hmmm...wonder what the neighbor kid would charge? He graduated last year with a Software Engineering degree. He's developing a fuel tax program for a logistics company right now.

Techman

Actually glad to hear that MS is killing off TechNet subscriptions

Were you a TechNet user?

Actually, TechNet users is where a large portion of all the innovation of software came out from. The old adage that 80 % of the change came from 20% of the users was never so clear.

The so called advantage of a technet software user over a regular business is also a non starter. If software cost is so large a component of the business plan then the business was already in a bad place.
This point was discussed so many times in the forums it became a cliche'.

Anyway TechNet is going away but the other plans are not.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
10+ years ago when I was a network admin (had Cisco CCIE, MS MCSE, Citrix, and several other certs) for a major hospital, yes I did subscribe to TechNet. It's not going to hurt developers in any way. Trial versions running on a virtual machine pretty much = indefinite use and reloads anyways. No problem for a developer but a bit of a hassle for everyday users. No, illegal use of software is not something that I will let fly at my company. A fairly well known and respected member DrCas can attest to that....

Techman

it will hurt developers who do not wish to write Metro Apps.

Take away anything that will not support Metro.. That is the game plan.

Tony Teveris

I've been using Windows 8 since it came out and barely ever bump into the Metro apps and tiles. Of course I never shut my computers off so once I select the Desktop it's always there. I pin the apps I use the most to the taskbar, etc. Once you "LEARN" how to do things and set up the system they way you want it's fine.

With the new 8.1 (at least at the moment) when you select the "Start" menu you will get tiles, not the popup menu we are use to.

It executes faster and with my 256GB SSD it's really fast. Pure development / testing system.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I don't really care about microsoft anymore. They are trying to beat apple and google at their own game, sucking hard and alienating their client base. If my programs would run in it effectively I would switch my systems over to ubuntu, fedora or linux mint and tell apple, google AND microsoft to eat it. ... well until they get the android system to be functional for multitasking enviroments like the PC .. that I might try.