• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Win XP Networking question

John L

I have an existing network of winXP computers. I have a computer that runs our shop cnc machines that I would like to connect to the XP network (I just ran cat5 to it today). This computer is running Windows 2000NT. My only purpose is for transfering cut files to the CNC computer without running out there every time with a thumbdrive the way i do now.

Is this combo possible?

I tried saving the XP Netsetup file to a disk and running it on the 2000NT but the NT machine gave an error that netsetup isnt supported.

ncpdfsb

you should look into a server system. may be your best bet. running a server is not as expensive nor hard to do anymore. lots of options and backup is a breeze. also you may want to upgrade to cat 6 cable.

blackicefx

I concur. You'll want a server to run the multiple machines since there are multiple OS running. If you are looking for a server environment for purchase, I have a sealed Server 2003 with 10 licenses sitting around that I got when I was taking my MCSE training.

Matthew
BlackIceFX

iSign

or buy an external hard drive designed for network connectivity (NA - network attached storage) and plug it into the internet router, save CNC files to it, & call them up from it. That way your two OS's never really need to talk to each other.

cgsigns_jamie

iSign's suggestion would be your best bet if you don't want to dive into a server. Servers are great to have if you have multiple users but if it's only a couple people it may not be worth it to you.

Another option is just connect your Win2k machine to your existing network. Then you can create a shared folder on the Win2k machine and map a network drive on the XP machines. Then all you have to do is save a copy of the file onto the mapped drive and it will show up on the Win2k machine.

If you connect the Win2k machine into your XP network make sure they are all on the same Workgroup. I think in Windows 2000 the default was "WORKGROUP" and in Windows XP it is "MSHOME".

OADesign

If you connect the Win2k machine into your XP network make sure they are all on the same Workgroup. I think in Windows 2000 the default was "WORKGROUP" and in Windows XP it is "MSHOME".
+1 for this route.

No investment cept' the 10 minutes to plug it in and change the workgroup name. 20 minutes if you count the time it take to reboot and have the setting work the first time around.