• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Win7 update issue

Colin

Anybody else experience this, and how to fix?

Win7 Pro.

Recently, at the end of my day when I shut the computer off, I see a message on screen which indicates that some Windows updates are downloading, yaddy yadda. When I go to boot up in the morning, I see a message: "Failure configuring Windows updates", then: "Reverting changes".

It then shuts down and starts normally by itself.

:help

I have the EXACT same problem with my Windows 7 Pro Laptop, it is installing 8 updates, I have not had time to troubleshoot it. I will let you know what I find.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Common problem on the most recent round of updates. Go back into Windows Update. Each critical update will have an update number. Uncheck all and install them one at a time in their numerical order. You will have to reboot between each one. Its a bit of a pain but it works. I just had to do this on 3 out of a dozen or so computers up here the other day.

Colin

Thanks. Doing that now. It seems to be hanging (or taking an unreasonably long time) on the 2nd one. I wonder if that's the one causing the problem?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
turn off all updates. there is almost no need for most of them.

That is one of the most ignorant peices of advice I've seen yet on here. Unless of course the computer is never connected to the internet, ever. Many of the "critical" Windows updates fix security vulnerabilities. I've seen a computer firsthand with a fresh new install of an older copy of Windows with no updates loaded get infected within minutes of being connected to the internet. Just because some other machine out there happend to be scanning ports at just the right time and hit the IP address of the new computer.

There are also many many fixes that correct stability issues and add compatability for other programs. Many are driver updates that can fix crashes and whatnot.

Yes, I also agree that once in a very very very long time there is a remote chance an update will cause problems. 99.9% of the time they do not and actually help make your computer less vulnerable to exploits and other threats as well as more compatable and less likeley to crash from some software bug.

Years ago I was a senior net admin at a major hospital with over 3000 desktops running Windows. I've seen the disastrous results of an update that does happen to be bad. I've also seen firsthand the disastrous results of NOT taking security updates seriously.

What we did in that enviorment and what I suggest. Turn off full automatic updates. Set it to 'download updates but let me choose when to install them". Then wait several days to a week to see if anyone is freaking out on message boards and whatnot about the recent updates that crashed computers across the globe. Or if you really hears or see nothing, then select them to install. This is also nice if you do not like your computer just installing updates and rebooting without your being aware which can be a disaster if you are running printing jobs unattanded overnight or something.

Techman

That is one of the most ignorant peices of advice I've seen yet on here. Unless of course the computer is never connected to the internet, ever. Many of the "critical" Windows updates fix security vulnerabilities. I've seen a computer firsthand with a fresh new install of an older copy of Windows with no updates loaded get infected within minutes of being connected to the internet. Just because some other machine out there happend to be scanning ports at just the right time and hit the IP address of the new computer.

OH? As if you are the all knowing big game computer expert here that has the all knowing omnipotence to make these assertions about another? How many machines have you tweaked over the past 35+ years? How many softwares have you tested over the years? How many softwares have you written over the years?? How many awards you won? How many shops have you owned and worked in the past 15 years?

How many machines have YOU had the pleasure of reversing an update to get a machine back online after some obscure unneeded update was installed?

Give me a friggin break. Your response is about as valid as telling others to reformat and reinstall if they get some malware.. Your reply is completely off topic.. You "seen" (sic) a machine get infected within minutes? So what.. Just because you do not know what to do doesn't mean others do not know what to do.

In case you do not know the latest set of Tuesday update is known for causing a problem.. Now go ahead and post that my suggestion was dumb. You didn't even know there is a problem with the latest update. Never mind all the previous problems updates have caused..

Follow your advice and ,, allow an auto update and have a problem and then try to fix it afterwords. Yes that is perfect advice.

Now to get back on topic..
This OP was asking about a running machine and an update problem. It is a running machine that has no other problems other than an update problem. I said turn off updates because there is little need for them. Most updates are to fix some obscure detail to cover some instance where a few users in millions found a something that affected them.

I did not say never look at them. I did not say avoid being aware of them. I said turn the auto update OFF. Take back control of the machine let tweaks and changes happen while under full control of the user..

Mike F

OH? As if you are the all knowing big game computer expert here that has the all knowing omnipotence to make these assertions about another? How many machines have you tweaked over the past 35+ years? How many softwares have you tested over the years? How many softwares have you written over the years?? How many awards you won? How many shops have you owned and worked in the past 15 years?

How many machines have YOU had the pleasure of reversing an update to get a machine back online after some obscure unneeded update was installed?

Give me a friggin break. Your response is about as valid as telling others to reformat and reinstall if they get some malware.. Your reply is completely off topic.. You "seen" (sic) a machine get infected within minutes? So what.. Just because you do not know what to do doesn't mean others do not know what to do.

In case you do not know the latest set of Tuesday update is known for causing a problem.. Now go ahead and post that my suggestion was dumb. You didn't even know there is a problem with the latest update. Never mind all the previous problems updates have caused..

Follow your advice and ,, allow an auto update and have a problem and then try to fix it afterwords. Yes that is perfect advice.

This OP was asking about a running machine and an update problem. It is a running machine that has no other problems other than an update problem. I said turn off updates because there is little need for them. Most updates are to fix some obscure detail to cover some instance where a few users in millions found a something that affected them.

I did not say never look at them. I did not say avoid being aware of them. I said turn the auto update OFF. Take back control of the machine let tweaks and changes happen while under full control of the user..

To be fair, he did suggest turning off automatic updates as well. He probably could've left out the whole "most ignorant piece of advice" part, but you've both got valid points. If you're not connected to the internet and you're not having any problems, then no, you probably don't need to run updates. If you are connected to the internet, whether you're having problems or not, it's probably a good idea to at least eventually update once you know the coast is clear.

Can't we all just get along? :help

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Sorry. Was in a bad mood earlier and I probably could have worded that line a little better maybe suggesting you give some tips and explain the blanket statement. As far as your questions. Well actually yes. Prior to starting this company 7 years ago I burned out on a almost 15 year IT career finishing it up with 5 years or so as the senior network engineer/admin for a major hospital. Personally in charge of making sure just north of 3000 Windows desktops were always secure, current, etc. along with about 145 servers. I had all the toughest certs including Cisco CCIE, MSCE, Citrix, CISSP, and a several lesser qualifications. Prior to the hospital I worked in high level desktop support for a major ultility company working on computers that help manage the southeastern power grid. So had quite a time in charge of and managing some of the most mission cricitical computers in the country.

OH? As if you are the all knowing big game computer expert here that has the all knowing omnipotence to make these assertions about another? How many machines have you tweaked over the past 35+ years? Quite literally, thousands. How many softwares have you tested over the years? Quite literally, again thousands. Including some like MediTech and Spacelabs Healthcare packages that cost well into the 6 figure range. How many softwares have you written over the years?? Couple of dozen specialized things in the industries I worked. How many awards you won? Several, primarily internal corporate things. How many shops have you owned and worked in the past 15 years? 3 The sign company I now own, wife and I also own a private ambulance service with about 30 employees, and while I worked in IT I had a small side company providing network and security consulting to other companies.

How many machines have YOU had the pleasure of reversing an update to get a machine back online after some obscure unneeded update was installed? Literally, thousands. Many hundreds by hand, many more using Microsoft SMS and a few other automation tools for managing thousands of desktops at once.

Follow your advice and ,, allow an auto update and have a problem and then try to fix it afterwords. Yes that is perfect advice. Did you read my post? My advise was "Turn off full automatic updates. Set it to 'download updates but let me choose when to install them". Then wait several days to a week to see if anyone is freaking out on message boards and whatnot about the recent updates that crashed computers across the globe."

Actually you said "turn off all updates". You gave no reasoning, just a **** poor blanket statement. I had already give the OP insturctions on how to correct the error with the update installing BECAUSE YES ACTUALLY I DID KNOW THERE IS AN ISSUE. I gave advise to correct the error. I also advised to take control of the updates by making them MANUAL. You only did so later in your raging butthurt flaming, mosty screaming at me reply to my post. I always try to be helpful and courteous on here generally always explaining my reasoning. I've never before now felt a need to explain my qualifications.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Again, I apologize for that. I should have worded that line a bit different. And sorry Colin, did not mean to jack your thread all up.

GB2

Old Member

There are also many many fixes that correct stability issues and add compatability for other programs. Many are driver updates that can fix crashes and whatnot.

Yes, I also agree that once in a very very very long time there is a remote chance an update will cause problems. 99.9% of the time they do not and actually help make your computer less vulnerable to exploits and other threats as well as more compatable and less likeley to crash from some software bug.

Years ago I was a senior net admin at a major hospital with over 3000 desktops running Windows. I've seen the disastrous results of an update that does happen to be bad. I've also seen firsthand the disastrous results of NOT taking security updates seriously.

What we did in that enviorment and what I suggest. Turn off full automatic updates. Set it to 'download updates but let me choose when to install them". Then wait several days to a week to see if anyone is freaking out on message boards and whatnot about the recent updates that crashed computers across the globe. Or if you really hears or see nothing, then select them to install. This is also nice if you do not like your computer just installing updates and rebooting without your being aware which can be a disaster if you are running printing jobs unattanded overnight or something.

Good advice

visual800

Ill second that. DISABLE ALL MICROSOFT UPDATES, WINDOWS FIREWALL AND ANYTHING THAT WANTS TO UPDATE (stupid adobe reader). I have said it and Ill say it again. If your comp (like mine) is running great than why mess that up. Updates are NOT for your programs they are for windows....windows runs your computer and owns your a$$ and your programs....when you update it all it does is create issues. Cutting windows updates off will NOT affect your computer except it will run as it is now with no issues.

These security issues I dont know where they come from but I see them as pointless. I have not updated my windows 7 since I got this new machine earlier this year. Some will agree some are too frightened of the machine to do disable thinking the CIA will kick in your back door. I would still be on Xp if I could at least the freakin search feature worked better on xp than this 7!

Wiggum PI

I always set mine to notify, but not download or install, pretty simple really. Having said that, the only genuine virus I ever got was from a windows update on XP(but I believe many millions got that one on a legit microsoft hack). Nice rant though visual lol.

choucove

Obviously, the issue of Windows Updates (along with any other software automated update system) is something quite debated and handled quite differently from tech to tech. However, pure and simple truth throughout the history of advancing computer technology and the generally accepted standard for IT administration is to install available updates FOR YOUR TRUSTED PROGRAMS including Windows. I don't install updates for everything personally, but for Windows I will allow updates.

However, as Sightline pointed out, the best thing to do is to turn off the automatic updates and enable the Notify Me option so you can manually install updates. Wait a week before you install them, though, as if there is a problem with an update it will usually be rectified in that waiting time.

I've not worked with nearly the quantity of computer systems that some of the others have here, but yes I've been burned by bad Windows updates on a few occasions. I've had entire offices unable to start up their computers one morning after they all did a batch of automatic updates which installed an improper update to system drivers for AMD 7xx series chipsets and had to do system restores on the computers to remove the updates and fix the issue. However, at the same time, I've also seen on more than one occasion I've also seen Windows updates which have solved issues and improved stability. There are just so many variables and such a broad range of users, products, and devices out there that Windows updates are bound to cause some issues, but also are doing the job that they are intending to do: fix issues.

In the end, personally I think the idea of turning off all updates completely is just asking for trouble - maybe not right away, but down the road. To me its the equivalent of telling someone, "If your car is running fine right now, then there's no need for you to change the oil."