• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wind slits in banners

gabagoo

I am doing 25x 36" x 12' banners and the customer wants wind slits. I have never felt comfortable doing this and I use a 6" galvanized circle to draw smiles on the banner, then I cut them. I always try and place them so they are not going through copy. I make the opening so that when there is no wind the material sits flush and does not fold open.

Is this the correct proceedure? In all the years I have been doing banners I have never really had to do this that often and want to make sure this is somewhat correct? any other hints would be appreciated

I don't do them. Saturday I replaced a 3' x 8' banner I'd done for a customer about a year ago (it was still in good shape, they just wanted a new message). I didn't count but I bet they'd put at least 50 slits in it just like the ones you described.

gabagoo

I don't do them. Saturday I replaced a 3' x 8' banner I'd done for a customer about a year ago (it was still in good shape, they just wanted a new message). I didn't count but I bet they'd put at least 50 slits in it just like the ones you described.

but if a client wants them I feel that it must be done.

ddubia

Biggest hint would be to talk him out of it.

Regarding wind slits we first have to discern the reason for them. We all assume that the slits will give stress relief by allowing the wind to pass through the banner putting less stress on the material and it's anchoring method.

So how much wind does it take to compromise the material or anchors? Well, how big is the banner? Certainly we wouldn't put wind slits in a 12" x 24" banner because we are sure that the material and anchors would easily withstand any stress the wind could put on it. So when does the banner become large enough to warrant wind slits?

Is 36"h x 144"w reaching that size? How strong is the material? Is it 10 oz? 13oz? 18oz? Is it hemmed? Is it installed by tying ropes into grommets at the corners or is there a rope running through the width of the banner sewn into the top and bottom?

Logic says to combat stress first look to use a strong material and a strong anchoring method. That may be all that is needed. This can depend on the size. I've seen a 48"h banner stretch all the way across a wide street in Columbus, Ohio that had what looked like 3/4" holes all over the material. It looked like window perf there were so many holes. Of course, the message was in such big letters that it could still be easily read. Like with window perf. Probably could have hung that with binder twine. Overall the area of the banner probably equaled one half it's size.

I've also seen banners stretched all the way across a street both using and not using wind slits. I never knew if one blew down and another didn't.

Imagine stretching two ropes across the street. How much pressure would it take to make either the rope or the anchor fail? That depends on the rope and the anchor I'd think. Now put a banner between the ropes. In a high wind, does that create enough pressure on the ropes to cause them or their anchors to fail? It would take an engineer to figure that out. I remember one who did.

In SignCraft magazine some many years ago there were a serial of articles by an engineer who explained such complexities. He talked about wind load on a sign, a billboard, banners, etc and showed examples using drawings of how to combat these stresses in confidence.

Regarding banners and wind slits he gave an example. He said, if you cut 6" semi-circles it would take 4 of them to equal 1 sq. ft. of relief against the wind. He also said you can accomplish the exact same relief by making the banner exactly 1 sq. ft. smaller. I know. My reasoning and logic says it would make a bigger difference if the relief were in the center compared to making a banner 2'h x 11'-6"w instead of 2'h x 12'w. Not so says he. It's the same thing. It's all about the size of the area standing up to the wind.

I never forgot that. And I never put wind slits in a banner. Instead, I've used strong material and a solid anchoring method to combat the wind.

36" x 144"? I'd use 18oz material with a 1/2" rope top and bottom sewed into the hem and anchored by tying it off onto something rock solid on either end.

According to the engineer, if you planned on making a wind slit, as you described, in two rows every 2' along it's length then you would have 12 slits. Needing 4 ea to make 1 sq. ft. of relief that would give you 3 sq. ft. of relief from wind stress. According to the engineer you can accomplish the same thing by cutting a foot off the end of your banner.

Think about this as well. When you've cut a wind slit into a banner you've already created a tear in the material. A well-planned, accurate, precise tear, but a tear none the less. The only difference between that and a rip is that you planned the cut you made. It turns into a rip as soon as it tears further than you planned.

You can help yourself somewhat by punching an 1/8" die hole at each end of your proposed wind slit cut. Then hand-cut just into the hole but not beyond it. That would end the tear with a punched hole and distribute some of the stress around that hole.

It's up to you and I guess ultimately up to your customer. It's also up to the material and anchoring method you choose.

I wish I could remember the issues of these articles by this engineer. It was many years ago; probably late 80's-early 90's. The wind slit issue is the only one I remember in detail partly because it was the only one I was able to comprehend in detail and partly because it was the only issue he'd covered that I'd dealt with up to that point. Plus it blew apart my logic on the wind slit subject. I no longer have those old issues. There was a wealth of information to solve a lot of common problems.

Not sure if it was the same article, but years ago I saw something similar as well. That's why I don't do them. I tell the customer they are not needed. They can add them if they want, but I won't do it for them.

Techman

Wind slits,, they were originally not meant to relieve stress. They were to stop the banner from flying around all over the place..

gabagoo

These particular banners are being used by the police and they screw them on to polers at each end. I will assume 2 officers hold them up to warn the crowd of demonstrators as to what form of enforcement they will be using. I can see if it is windy that 2 people holding them up could be a problem. They are used temprorarily and not of a permanent nature. I would suspect they may be held up for 15 minutes to 30 minutes at a time.

Marlene

instead of cutting big 6" smile type holes all over it, try cutting little 1" complete circles. it lets the wind blow thru and you can put them where the lettering isn't.

Letterbox Mike

Your procedure is as correct as any can be really. I'm in the same boat as others. The minimal amount of pressure they relieve from the banner is far outweighed by the numerous potential points of failure you have introduced to the banner. I've had exactly two banners fail on me out of thousands, both had wind holes, and both were ripped to shreds at the wind holes, the perimeter hem remained perfectly in tact.

If a customer wants them, they get a disclaimer printed on their invoice stating we do not recommend them, and re are not responsible for damage or complete destruction of any banner containing wind holes.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We've put half moons on/in many banners. If it makes the customer happy.... do it.

It does help. If it didn't help, why would they be selling 'Mesh' banner material, which brings me to another question..... why don't you just do the entire job on "mesh' media if there is such a concern ??

gabagoo

We've put half moons on/in many banners. If it makes the customer happy.... do it.

It does help. If it didn't help, why would they be selling 'Mesh' banner material, which brings me to another question..... why don't you just do the entire job on "mesh' media if there is such a concern ??

Mesh banner is very hard to read and these need visibility. I think a few slits here and there will work. They are not being hung so I figure they should last. I was more concerned with the proper way of doing it and I seem to be on track

skdave

Wind slits are a great way to Double your sales. Get the cust. to sign in​
blood that he wants them. Get the check for the back up order before the first good storm. :Oops:​

sjm

Mesh banner is very hard to read and these need visibility. I think a few slits here and there will work. They are not being hung so I figure they should last. I was more concerned with the proper way of doing it and I seem to be on track

Wind slits in Mesh Banner? .... we hang them from cranes 40 stories up .... less slits

mikefine

Have you considered that the wind slits will look like bullet holes!
Not good for crowd control signage.

Sounds like they will put in and out of storage. After a couple of uses, they are going to look like crap.

You don't tell them how to police crowd control. They shouldn't tell you
how to make a banner.

G-Artist

From an article in Sign of the Times (many years ago) about engineering banners.

"Vent holes do not reduce wind load to any significant degree and
should be avoided unless reinforced and can be done w/o
detracting from appearance."

We have previously hashed the wind slit topic to death here. There is no consensus.

I listen to the published experts. If they are wrong, I can hold them and their publisher
liable in some cases.

I'd never put in a wind slit, ever...and any/all across-the-street banners get attached
to cable only or we have cable sewn in (A.F.A.I.K. that's DOT regs in FL).

Dzrt1st

... Regarding banners and wind slits he gave an example. He said, if you cut 6" semi-circles it would take 4 of them to equal 1 sq. ft. of relief against the wind. He also said you can accomplish the exact same relief by making the banner exactly 1 sq. ft. smaller...

This "engineer" needs to go back to math class. The area of a 6" semicircle is only 14.13 sq. iin. You would need slightly more than 10 slits to equal 1 sq. ft. of relief.

FWIW,
Todd