• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

window 7

L&L GRAPHIX

hey guys I'm looking at buying a laptop it has windows 7 in it I was wondering if I should buy it or try to find something with windows xp like I'm running my stuff off of now I have a vinyl express panther cutter I use vinyl express lxi software would the laptop be able to run it or should I find another laptop if so where can I get the drivers thanks for any info

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I would go with Windows 7 over any previous version. There is an XP emulator built in if you find an application that will not work.

Windows 7 is available in 32 or 64 bit versions. if you buy the Retail SKU they are included on the same disk. If you buy an OEM version you will need to choose one or the other. There's nothing wrong with installing the 64 bit version. I've been running Win7 x64 it since RTC and have not found any issues with installing software.

Replicator

I would go with Windows 7 over any previous version. There is an XP emulator built in if you find an application that will not work.

Not true . . . The "Windows Virtual PC" and "Windows XP Mode" are separate downloads and are NOT built into Windows 7

RebeckaR

The Lxi software - in particular the dongle that operates your program - is not compatible with Windows 7 without using virtual XP.
We just purchased a new computer with Windows 7 Ultimate and it took a bit of tweeking, but everything is up and running and working well. We are also running a couple of Panther cutters and Lxi.

Be aware that Windows 7 Home does not include the download for virtual XP, only Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise.

If you decide to go with the Windows 7 setup, drop me an email if you have any questions.

Todd-sta

I gotta say I absolutely LOVE Windows 7.... what a terrific interface and for me, a very welcome upgrade from XP....I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

cptcorn

adad
Not true . . . The "Windows Virtual PC" and "Windows XP Mode" are separate downloads and are NOT built into Windows 7

Annnnnd your CPU must support virtualization.

I love these threads.... Should I buy this new refrigerator, or should I find some sort of box, to put ice in...

Move on...

L&L GRAPHIX

thanks for all the info you guys are great :U Rock:
I'm sure I'll have more questions later the laptop is used so when I get more info on it I'll be back thanks again

paxas

Versa works 4 and Windows 7 -64 bit

I'm curious to know why Roland doesn't support Win 7 64 bit (only 32bit) under Versa-works.
Is anyone running Versa-works 4.0 with a Roland Sp540, if so are there any compatibility issues ?

RiXaX

I returned a Windows 7 64 bit computer after finding many things not working even after buying the XP level. I bought a 32 bit computer and love it.

Steve C.

We upgraded one computer to W 7 32. I love it except that we now need
to spend more than the cost of the computer on upgrades. :frustrated:

Techman

Most of us will not need or even see a difference win 7 64 bit..

Win 7 32 will be fine for 96% of us here. I have tested both win 7 32 and 64..
The challenge is that most software is still in the 32 bit mode.

choucove

Most of us will not need or even see a difference win 7 64 bit..

Win 7 32 will be fine for 96% of us here. I have tested both win 7 32 and 64..
The challenge is that most software is still in the 32 bit mode.

The only difference that most people will see is that with the 32-bit software, you are somewhat handicapped to a maximum of just under 4 GB of RAM in your computer that can be utilized. Even this isn't much of a problem, as there aren't many times that anyone will really use more than 4 GB of system RAM.

Techman

you are somewhat handicapped to a maximum of just under 4 GB of RAM i

I see no handicap even at that.

I just tweaked a machine for a client with just 4 gigs of ram and his machine runs just fine. He has no need for anything more. His case is just about every one else's case as well. Ther eis no need for a 64 bit OS when one just reads email or send a letter or face books.

Huge memory banks are just a gimmick pressed upon us by the marketing goons for the computer vendors.

Most of us do not need more than 4 gigs. Most do not even need win 7.