• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Frosting – Help! Need Some Info / Insight

O2 Designs RSA

Good day,

Hope some people might be able to assist. I am going to be frosting a storefront window (51 inches wide by 124 inches high) please excuse my use of inches I’m South African and we use the metric system, anyway I would like to use a wet method on a Hexis S5DP Etched Glass Series vinyl as recommended. A little more information about our climate: Hot most of the year, the temperature is from 68F to 95F and were I’m based there’s very little to no moisture.

Here are my concerns:
· The application will be for a hair salon, would this affect the vinyl in any way? - Heat, moisture etc.
· I will be applying the frosting via wet method and the area to be frosted is quiet large so should I use a larger squeegee?
· Currently I use a basic solution sprayer, I feel this job requires a pressurised pump sprayer what are your suggestions?
· This is the first time I am applying to such a large area so any extra tip or tricks would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Elouise Atkins :notworthy:

Attachments

• 100_0920.jpg
    100_0920.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 100_0921.jpg
    100_0921.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 90

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I'm not familiar with that brand, but if it's anything like similar Avery, 3M or Arlon vinyls, you should be just fine as they work fine in interior uses (unless I'm mistaken, that looks like a mall-type setting, so you won't get much as UV degradation). I'm sure over time the hairspray/product/whatever they call it would have some effect, but not that much. Maybe borrow a bottle of whatever they use and test it if you're nervous about it.

As far as the application, I always use regular spray bottles, but that comes from not having enough uses for the larger sprayers to justify the cost. I think you'll be fine with either. And yes- a larger soft squeegee would be a good idea. I'd say just make sure you've got a good "coat" of application fluid (and a lot of rags/paper towels for cleaning it up) and have at it.
I would also add that I'd do everything in my power to convince the customer that this needs to be done either before or after their business hours and they've cleaned up all the clippings from any workspace you'll need. All takes is one and the whole thing is ruined.

letterman7

Yep, you'll be fine. I agree with Southpaw to make sure the salon has every hair cleaned up from the area. When you start, you'll likely create some static peeling the vinyl that will attract every loose fiber. Soak the windows and soak the vinyl as you peel it from the liner and have at it. A large felt squeegee will be your friend here. Try to stay away from the harder plastic ones as they can mark frosted vinyls.

MikePro

:Welcome:2:signs101:

easy. no need for crazy equipment like pressurized sprayers & such.

I'd tackle this with a spray bottle of application fluid, a heat gun, a couple gallon jugs of pre-mixed solution on reserve, squeegee, knife, and tape-hinges.\
hinge the top, peel while spraying, "soft apply" to window, lube the vinyl with application fluid so that your squeegee doesn't scratch it, and hard-apply before finishing with heat/trimwork.

I would not attempt to install Avery etch on a paper liner at that size. What you need is a true "window film" not a "vinyl" I would look at Solyx or Llummar Window Frosts. They have lots of options to choose from. They have a clear synthetic linear that can get wet and is easily removed without streathing the film. You could also use 3M dusted cystal, but the linear is harder to remove and you would need a helper and couldnt "back roll the film". I do not recomended pulling the lineaer or hinging it.

Tools you need:

Spray bottle - with Water and two drops of baby shampoo
Hard Card - Like Sqguee
Press out - Blue max tinter style or for soft film like 3M dusted crystal or Avery etch just use a standard unger back edge window cleaner style.
olfa
paper towel of course

Clean the window good. spray water soulution and scrap window with razor. Spray again, wipe all mullions and window edges to remove loaded up dirt on the edges.
Use black unger window cleaner sqguee to remove water. and you should have a really clean window.
Here is what i would do.

1. Cut film to size +1" all the way around.
---------------
2. Roll film tight.
3. wet the leading edge front and back sides.
4. Start a leading edge of the film by rolling the linear under and around the roll.
5. Wet the glass, and i mean really wet the crap out of it
6. Begin rolling the film down
7. the linear will be on top as you roll down. get to bottom remove the linear.
or
2. wet the glass (soak it)
3.Stand on ladder
4.have someone pull the linear
5. have them spray the film
6. Slap it on window
--------------

8. Lock it in by pressing out a t hinge.
9. spray water on top for less friction,press water from the center out and top down. getting only about 2" from the edge
10. clip corners and tuck extra film. lightly use finger or hard card to tuck film close to edge. Trim the edge using the alum. mullions and hard card (like sqguee) as guide.
11. finish pressing out all the water, go over it again if you need to pressing hard and smooth
12. Use a paper towel and hard card to "tap out the remaining water located around the edges.

here is a video of a guy tinting a door with panic bar, he cut exact fit bc of that, but it give you an idea how to roll it down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1eXgYKP5Vk

here is another that may help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcoDNLmGgzI

JoeBoomer

HOSE that thing down

If using 3M frosted/dusted crystal or anything similar make sure you hose it down with app fluid. Do not skimp on the app fluid! You don't want it to prematurely adhere to the window and then try and move it.

I can not overstate how important it is to get both the window and film soaked with app fluid!