• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Graphics To Be Viewed On Inside Of Large Windows

Reaction GFX

I have a customer that is looking to put some printed window graphics along the tops of a long hallway of windows. The windows are 74" wide each (24 of them), and about 9 feet tall. The graphics would just cover the top 15" of each window. Kicker is that they want them viewable on the INSIDE of the building. The other kicker is that these are south-facing windows at a building along our lakefront here in Milwaukee, so they get POUNDED with sunlight/heat all day long. The graphics will only be up for approximately one week. Easy application/removal would be a plus.

First thought was just to use regular, unlaminated window perf applied to the inside, but I'm thinking the images will all get pretty washed out with all the sunlight coming from behind, and also worried about the black back and heat buildup on these windows. Last thing we want is for any glass to break. Second thought is just to use inexpensive IJ35C/8509 applied to the inside, but again, I'm worried about heat buildup as I've read some total horror stories about applying vinyl to the inside of large windows. Should I try to use something that can be applied to the outside and viewed inside? Open to any and all suggestions! Thanks!

Reaction GFX

Just had another quick thought...what about white static cling? Could be applied wet and very easily removed. Since it's white, heat might not be too much of a problem. Thoughts??

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Second the voter for the Glass Adhere material. It sticks wells, but isn't permanent.
If no one will be able to touch them, you could try white static cling- but if the windows get as hot as you fear, that might not work.

oksigns

Never tried GA, but, by the looks of it, GA would be great for this.

As far as heat and glass breaking, if you are only covering the first 15" of a 9' pane, provided the interior is well ventilated, you should not worry about the glass breaking unless we are talking about some substantial _sustained_ temperatures

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
Your in Milwaukee... most anything will last up there for a week..... You think the sun is bad up there? Come to Texas and try it!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I have a customer that is looking to put some printed window graphics along the tops of a long hallway of windows. The windows are 74" wide each (24 of them), and about 9 feet tall. The graphics would just cover the top 15" of each window. Kicker is that they want them viewable on the INSIDE of the building. The other kicker is that these are south-facing windows at a building along our lakefront here in Milwaukee, so they get POUNDED with sunlight/heat all day long. The graphics will only be up for approximately one week. Easy application/removal would be a plus.

First thought was just to use regular, unlaminated window perf applied to the inside, but I'm thinking the images will all get pretty washed out with all the sunlight coming from behind, and also worried about the black back and heat buildup on these windows. Last thing we want is for any glass to break. Second thought is just to use inexpensive IJ35C/8509 applied to the inside, but again, I'm worried about heat buildup as I've read some total horror stories about applying vinyl to the inside of large windows. Should I try to use something that can be applied to the outside and viewed inside? Open to any and all suggestions! Thanks!

I sell my non-adhesive perf which is ideal for this application. You apply with 1" double sided mount tape and it is super easy to install, even for the customer! You would install from the inside.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
If you guys are referring to the clear glass adhere, that is not very easy to install, at least for me it was a pain to get the bubbles out when wet applying.

d fleming

Glass adhere, reg phototex or static. Easy removal. Easy apply. All three will do what you want with a white or off white backside to prevent heat build up. I would lean toward phototex myself. Had a sample of glass adhere when it first came out. Was not impressed enough to buy any. Static is probably the most cost effective.

GaSouthpaw

I didn't know Glass Adhere had a clear version as it's been a while since I used it. I always found the regular either to use.

JoeRansom

There's a inside window perf called inside Beperf. I've never used it but have been told about it from my rep. Printable and it goes on the inside of the window and viewable from outside.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

bannertime

Plus one to using a low-tac material. We used Orajet 3628 for a one day job. Had to be installed and removed within the same day. It was applied to windows, elevators, and the floor. I pulled all the graphics off before the other guys got up to the top floor to grab our other decor. I have no doubt it'd have stayed up more than a week.

Also plus one to that 1in perm/rem tape BigFish has.

Dallas225

I second the orajet 3628 - fantastic removable vinyl with a white adhesive side, we use this for wall murals all the time with great success, if it sticks well to drywall it should stick well to glass - i actually have two in my kids rooms that have been up for 3 years now, tried pulling one off last weekend, still came off clean with no residue. Great stuff!

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
3M has recently release a clear IJ180 film. I would be very concerned with the image on your prints being washed out by the light behind it. We have used the clean IJ180 in several instances and you should be safe using a graphic that had some color to it. The clear film sticks to glass more so that IJ180 would stick to a car so it isn't the easiest thing to get offn but is very easy to install.

GaSouthpaw

The OP said they believed (correctly, in my opinion) that "the images will all get pretty washed out with all the sunlight coming from behind," so perf had already been ruled out. Same thing would happen with clear, unless it had a white underbase/primer coat.

boxerbay

one week? use phototex opaque or oracal 3268 6mil low tack. phototex easy dry apply. oracal wet install for bubble free. I would lean toward the phototex with dry install. faster easy no wet mess.