• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Perf Failure - Looks to be burning.

richmondsar

I did 3 similar vans about this time last year. Two are fine but this one for some reason is acting up. Solvex perf w/ optically clear overlam. Anyone else have this happen?

Attachments

• 2010-07-20 08.22.20.jpg
    2010-07-20 08.22.20.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 214

Circleville Signs

You need to find out if all the vans are stored in the same location - indoor? Outdoor? If indoor, is it a temperature controlled building? This looks like it was parked right up against something that was REALLY hot, for extended exposure.

Bradster941

Being that it is a heating and air service van, that would indicate to me that the employee(s) take the vehicle home at the end of the day. Further, 2 of the vans are OK, one has failed.

I think you will find the cause is environmental to where the vehicle is parked over night.
(You know, walk out in the morning and your car is covered in moisture).

Park it under a shagg oak tree and things, (here in Florida) get a bit nasty.

Not sure what you have up there for plant life.

ProWraps

thats not burned, thats just aging. its just aging faster that the other two due to where its being stored.

solvex perf is junk and isnt rated for more than 6 months i dont think.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Had same problem...it only happened to the solved that was laminated. color faded on other solvex perf that wasn't laminated, but laminated turned brown. That's why I switched to Clear Focus.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If that was so close to a heat source to do that to the windows, the rest of the vinyl at the bottom would be lifting.

I believe it's your media is not holding up to its expectations.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Think about it Tech........

If it were sunburned.... wouldn't it be kinda evenly ??

This picture clearly shows all the edges have been affected... especially the top edge and down the sides which to me are signs that moisture is getting in and mildewing or ruining the vinyl from the outside in. Its seems to be a complete breakdown of a media that has gone bad.

I'm not saying the sun doesn't play a part in the process, but sunburn.... I don't think so. Rather moisture, dry out... over and over again just took it's toll. One year is hardly enough time for anything to go bad from the elements unless the media was not the proper media to use..... or was flawed.

Jim Doggett

Good info on Solvex.

Now for a complete non sequitur :^) Why print that on perf??? Two-color cut vinyl would have perfect, IMO. Yeah?

gnemmas

Solvex window perf rated 1 year outdoor. It turns to brownish on unprinted surface.

Jim, over with white vinyl lasts longer, but if clients want to be able to see out, then perf it is.

Jim Doggett

Solvex window perf rated 1 year outdoor. It turns to brownish on unprinted surface.

Jim, over with white vinyl lasts longer, but if clients want to be able to see out, then perf it is.

Good point on seeing out, but I was thinking in terms of cut-vinyl (old school cut and weed), not full coverage printed white. You can still see out, somewhat well (commercial vans are often filled and use side mirrors). The quality would match the cut vinyl on the back van below. And it's cheap and lasts for years and years.

Yeah?

sdimmick

That is sunburn! Alot of glass in vehicles have tint around the edges like where you see the most of the brown area on this perf...I think the light shining thru more may have some type of effect on why it's discolored like it is....JMO. I agree with where it's parked would be the first place to look.

Techman

If it were sunburned.... wouldn't it be kinda evenly ??

No,, Not at all.

Do you see paint fading evenly? No, Old paint shows good areas and bad areas. IT shows brush strokes. YES???