• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

window perf- highly lit area- bad results

petepaz

installed some window perf for a customer. warehouse type environment. they have a fabrication area with windows that they wanted window perf with graphics installed on. there is a hallway that goes past the windows and they wanted the graphics there to see out and not see in (or as best that you can do with window perf) what i didn't account for was the fabrication area has extremely bright lights and the hallway not so much so the graphics are very muted. when you are walking towards them they look ok but once you get directly in front it is washed out due to the lighting and not able to see out from the inside. is there better material i can use to give the customer the effect they are looking for or is it next to impossible due the the lighting situation?

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
We run into this with our tradeshow exhibits that have conference rooms that have no ceiling and the overhead lights on the show floor make it so there is no difference in contrast of the light inside the room and outside. At SGIA this year I spoke with Clear Focus about this, and they have a 80/20 perf now that we're going to try next time we have this situation.

Also, GANS INK has a product called PWVC-Printed Circles Faux Perf. It's essentially clear calendared(?) adhesive vinyl with a perf pattern printed on it from the manufacturer. This gives you a solid surface to print on, but it's not optically clear so when you apply it to glass you won't be able to see through it clearly. See the attached photos of this product below. BigFishDM is a merchant member here that is the Wide Format materials guy with GANS. He can help you with this product if you're interested.http://www.signs101.com/forums/member.php?17617-BigfishDM

Good Luck.

Attachments

• IMG_1001.jpg
    IMG_1001.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1002.jpg
    IMG_1002.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 247

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Yeah sounds like you need a different perf....if you used 50/50 or 60/40 that will happen. Need a higher vinyl to hole number....like 80/20.

neil_se

We come across this all the time where the customer wants to be able to see through an internal window in one direction only. We always explain up front that it relies heavily on the balance of light, the tint or perf only serves as a distraction (it's easier to look past the black side then it is a mirror/white/printed side). Same with tinting exterior windows, once the sun has gone down you can see straight into a house/office/car if the lights are on inside.

I haven't yet found a product that can stop light in one direction only.

thewvsignguy

We used 70/30 is an area like you described and had the same problem. What they did was tint the windows with some 35% (I think).

Would like to try the 80/20 at some point.

graphics guru

spoke with a buddy of mine that is actually on the production end of perf for many years...and encountered the same in some doctors offices...regardless of the punch pattern...the effect is almost reversed when light sources emitts from the back side of the film..ie, interior lights...basically its the black backing/"black adhesive that plays the trick on the eye allowing the see thru effect we all are familiar with when selling the concept to a customer...but ( and this part is over my head) but when light comes from both directions it basically nullifies the effect giving the washed out effect at night...so basically i have to explain that to customers and long as they are cool with it we roll on...or just use opaque and deal with it ...now there are some cool frosted products when printed gives a nice effect...almost stained glass style

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I do 50/50, 60/40, 70/30, 80/20, Holographic, Non-Adhesive, and Faux Perf if you are interested.

We used 70/30 is an area like you described and had the same problem. What they did was tint the windows with some 35% (I think).

Would like to try the 80/20 at some point.