• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Perf Lamination

brycesteiner

I just installed a rear mini-van window perforation and it turned out quite well. I made a mistake of using the liquid lamination to help protect it.

I searched and noticed it's not a good idea to laminate perforated vinyl at all and to just tell customers to not use the rear wiper.

So now I need to take it off, what's the best way to remove the liquid laminate without damaging the window?

Thanks!
Bryce

J Hill Designs

I just installed a rear mini-van window perforation and it turned out quite well. I made a mistake of using the liquid lamination to help protect it.

I searched and noticed it's not a good idea to laminate perforated vinyl at all and to just tell customers to not use the rear wiper.

So now I need to take it off, what's the best way to remove the liquid laminate without damaging the window?

Thanks!
Bryce
dont worry about it. liquid lam shouldn't be in the 'holes' which is the reason people say not to lam perf.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have always been under the impression that you always want to laminate window perf. If water gets in the holes, you lose the ability to see through it as you should. Laminate helps with the install and protects the print. As long as you use optically clear laminate, there should be no problems.

2B

did you apply the lamination before or after the material was installed on the vehicle?

if lamination was done prior to the vehicle installation, then J Hill is correct, do nothing and move onto the project.
otherwise you have to strip the window clean and start over.

instead of liquid lamination, you need to look into optically clean lamination film, we use Oracal 290GF.

IMO lamination on perf is pointless especially knowing the perf is a short term material.

DirtyD

I alwys put optically clear lam on just to help with install - it can be easy to tear when it's not on there - I use Nglantz House brand - works well

d fleming

4" sheetrock knife (razor with handle) to strip the mess you made. Clean window after. If you don't want to use a laminate then use an ample supply of rapid tac 2 to back of perf and use two people to install that sucker soaking wet. Walk away for a while then come back and trim. etc.

brycesteiner

4" sheetrock knife (razor with handle) to strip the mess you made. Clean window after. If you don't want to use a laminate then use an ample supply of rapid tac 2 to back of perf and use two people to install that sucker soaking wet. Walk away for a while then come back and trim. etc.

The laminate make it look great and I thought it would protect it. It obviously wasn't that smart though. Why would I need to use the rapid tac 2? I was able to put on just fine without any liquid. It worked quite well. It is a dodge Grand caravan and it was curved, but it when okay with very few wrinkles.

Where was the real issue though. If you put it on and everything looks great, why remove it. I get that you painted the customers car now. So removal in the future will be a PITA. But why not just leave it and tell them when you want to remove it let me know and I will do it for free. Otherwise your going to remove it for free and redo it for free.

Kwiksigns

wookie

installing unlaminated perf wet? perf is already the easiest material to install... what benefit would wet installing provide? You have to have 2 people install window perf kind of seems counter productive...

To the OP... Just leave it on there.

d fleming

Because with two people wet you can re-position without tearing non laminated perf and be very quick about it. We do not tape in place, etc., and at this point very rarely have to re-position. I have a rear curved window and two sides on a mini van first thing in the morning, will have all three placed in 5 minutes, move to next vehicle for a couple of minutes then return to it, trim and collect check.

Kwiksigns

wookie
Gotcha. Yeah, I guess to each his own. We don't have two people to put on a vehicle like that. Work is starting to pile up and we just hired 2 people, hopefully more soon (once I find installers that can fullfill my high standards), so maybe i'll try it out when I can.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber

Your kidding about rapid tac, Right? It's not possible to get a bubble with window perf and you definitely can't use it with the laminate because the water will be trapped in the holes for years...

SeanMcM

Having laminate on vehicle perf windows will stop dust and dirt getting into the holes of the perf vinyl, other wise the customer will find as time goes on that it will get harder to see thru the window, perf on building windows can probably be more flexible depending on the area i guess.

J Hill Designs

Having laminate on vehicle perf windows will stop dust and dirt getting into the holes of the perf vinyl, other wise the customer will find as time goes on that it will get harder to see thru the window, perf on building windows can probably be more flexible depending on the area i guess.

on the opposite end of the spectrum, laminated perf, even opt. clear lam, gets foggy after a while and starts to look like isht

brycesteiner

Where was the real issue though. If you put it on and everything looks great, why remove it. I get that you painted the customers car now. So removal in the future will be a PITA. But why not just leave it and tell them when you want to remove it let me know and I will do it for free.

Because the customer thought they should be able to see out of it just fine. I told them it will take away some protection to it by not having it on. I have another one printed anyway because I was using the same amount of material. I would still keep it because the seat head rests or so high in that van that it's hard to see out the rear window anyhow.

d fleming

Your kidding about rapid tac, Right? It's not possible to get a bubble with window perf and you definitely can't use it with the laminate because the water will be trapped in the holes for years...

I don't laminate perf. It is short term. Optical lam gets foggy relatively quick. The amount of store fronts I do is considerable for the liquor industry and they get changed out before they die. Wet app makes it re-positionable if I accidentally get off register and stops taring issues because of no lam. It also cuts my install time by about half. I need to do my own pickup window again from fading. It is 3 years old and still stuck like Chuck. Takes one maybe two bumps in the morning for droplets in holes to be gone. Besides that when you are racing what's behind you doesn't matter, lol. Probably the oldest perf I have in the field other than the mini van I am doing right now which is a re-print. Van got a new paint job so new perf and window lettering. So....no, I'm not kidding. Just another way to do it and it works for me.

SeanMcM

on the opposite end of the spectrum, laminated perf, even opt. clear lam, gets foggy after a while and starts to look like isht

I have yet to see this happen on the vehicles i have done with the media we use, we recently stripped our van wrap+windows perf off and the perf itself was fine and it had been on for about 7 years. Its something i should take note of tho in case the issue does pop up.