• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

window perf on vehicles lifting off!!!

gabagoo

Did 5 ford escapes and on the rear window we printed and die cut the logo in perf (vehicle grade) and I used optically clear laminate. Customer called complaining that they are lifting off. I warned him that windshield wipers and windshield washer fluid were going to be trouble. It has only been 3 months, so I wonder if maybe die cutting that film just doesn't work?

CanuckSigns

I agree, always seal the edges of perf, especially die-cut. Someone most likely used the wiper, the guy you told is probably not the guy driving the car, so the message never got passed on, funny how that works isn't it :banghead::banghead:

rjssigns

Could be a bad roll of perf or something in the glass itself.

Some windows will never be able to hold any material. Been there done that. Started asking questions.

Suffice to say it is in the way the glass is made. My window film guy gave me the skinny on glass and potential issues.

5 cars with the same issue? You bet.

Here is what I learned about shop vehicles, perf and rear wipers. When I do them I remove the wiper. It doesn't get put back on. I use a thing called an oil tight plug for the hole then cover that with a scrap of perf. YMMV

If I was doing contour cut perf, I would set 2 cut paths, one around actual design then the other about 1/4" off that. Print, and inner contour cut, then weed. Then laminate, then outer countour cut, then transfer tape and install. This will give you a 1/4" or whatever size of laminate all the around the edge for sealing.

remember not to weed out your crop marks for the contour cutting! Just cut a box around them

QuickSilver2605

We had an issue where all of our perf was lifting, turned out it was the lam. It was a calendered lam that was shrinking in the heat causing the edges to lift. It was General Formulations optically clear. I guess they have changed to a cast film now.

dlndesign

+1 Crystal Coast.
Another option is to take the edge sealer tape and follow the contour of the image, half on, half off. Typically the edge tape is just the laminate cut down to a 1/4" roll. Hope that helps.

MikePro

my best guess is calendared laminate.
most perforated vinyls are calendared too.

another possibility would be a RainX or similiar hydrophobic coating on the window.

HulkSmash

It's not a bad roll of perf. Di cutting Perf is a bad practice. Not saying it's not doable.. we just stay away from it.

gabagoo

OK lesson learned. by the way, how does one tell the difference between a vehicle grade perf and a cheaper version? I wonder if they sent me the wrong stuff. The laminate was a cast optically clear.

AF

Do an adhesion test in your own vehicle using the perf in question and some known-good vehicle vinyl.

phototec

If I was doing contour cut perf, I would set 2 cut paths, one around actual design then the other about 1/4" off that. Print, and inner contour cut, then weed. Then laminate, then outer countour cut, then transfer tape and install. This will give you a 1/4" or whatever size of laminate all the around the edge for sealing.

remember not to weed out your crop marks for the contour cutting! Just cut a box around them

Wow, that is the best idea I have heard in a long time!

That sounds like the best way to prevent the edges from lifting.....

gabagoo

this is a good idea, but I don't get a choice of which cut line I want to use, unless I send 2 files...but then will the registration marks work the same on both...hmmmmm

petepaz

over the past few years i have done a few of these. on pick up truck rear windows no issues. then i have done a few on ford transits and they all curled up on the edges. first it was because i had calendered lam, then i used the correct lam and still curled up so don't know if it was the glass or the material. the best experiences i have had is with out lam. i know this goes back and forth all the time on here but this is what i have had happen so i go with out the lam and just give the customer a rough time frame of how long it will last and then they decide to just go with solid vinyl over the windows. (solves the whole problem)