• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Perf Problem

I have a customer who is reporting an odd problem with her 50/50 window perf film. I have attached a photo of what they are seeing. Essentially, it is an inconsistent and irregular pattern in what should be a solid color. When they printed and laminated, everything looked fine. After 1-2 weeks on the vehicle, the problems were highly visible. Particulars are:

Printer = Roland VersaCAMM 540 VPi
Inkset = Roland Eco Sol MAX
Print Media = Tru View (McLogan house brand
Laminate = Oracal 290

Thanks in advance for any insight into this.

Attachments

• patches1.jpg
    patches1.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 582

HulkSmash

I have a customer who is reporting an odd problem with her 50/50 window perf film. I have attached a photo of what they are seeing. Essentially, it is an inconsistent and irregular pattern in what should be a solid color. When they printed and laminated, everything looked fine. After 1-2 weeks on the vehicle, the problems were highly visible. Particulars are:

Printer = Roland VersaCAMM 540 VPi
Inkset = Roland Eco Sol MAX
Print Media = Tru View (McLogan house brand <-------------- What's that?
Laminate = Oracal 290

Thanks in advance for any insight into this.

see above.

Mike F

Could be wrong, but it looks like either the laminate is coming off the perf, or the perf is coming off the window. Have they/you used this combination of materials before? I've heard mixing brands of material & laminate can cause problems.

petepaz

Could be wrong, but it looks like either the laminate is coming off the perf, or the perf is coming off the window. Have they/you used this combination of materials before? I've heard mixing brands of material & laminate can cause problems.

+1
also looks like could be moisture in there (not sure how)

radiohead223

i have done perf windows with over laminate that looked great just after being done. but then within a week or so larger bubbles looking like that will form with moisture will form. the moisture will go away after a while but it just need sunlight and some time.

If it is moisture can you move it around with your fingers?

also never pop over laminate on perforated vinyl. it just lets dirt in and you'll have a black dot

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
To me it looks like areas where the laminate has been forced deeper into the holes and is sticking to the glass. I've seen similar where an automatic car wash pressure nozzle have near the same appearance.

Rydaddy

yeah, looks like the material has either lifted from the window making a bubble or the lam has lifted from the window perf......

My 2cents exactly. + are you certain it was 290f? Not that your problem here has anything to do with it being optically clear or not, just curious. Personally window perf is not my favorite thing to work with. If customer wanst it we use it, of course... but we are diligent about matching lam. to media and using premium, fresh stock.

Last edited:

AceHigh

That looks just as others have posted, either too much preasure on that section or possibly too much heat if heat was used. I personally hate to laminate window perf any more. It causes way more greif than needed. I just give the customer a good price on a non-laminated perf and tell them that the life expectancy is shorter. It has almost eliminated all problems with the perf and the installation time is almost non existent.
Just my thoughts.
Carl

AceHigh

Can you see out of any back window when it is dirty? It is not as big of an issue that everyone makes it out to be. If they have their car wrapped they should be keeping it clean for the appearance of their company anyway. Just the way I sell it to the customer I guess?? You just have to explain it to them and then the issue never comes up.

ProWraps

Can you see out of any back window when it is dirty? It is not as big of an issue that everyone makes it out to be.

uhhhhhh seriously?

unlaminated perf with water on it, gives you the same vision as looking through a brick wall.

i feel sorry for your customers.

JoshLoring

I never laminate perfs. I've used every overlaminate out and no matter what, clients in southern California prefer non-laminated windows. I have had to replace more windows with lam then without because all lam wants to curl.
There's a catch either way in sunny locations. No Lam= no vision in rain. Lam= blinded in bright sun.
So.. What do you choose... I'd say pick lam or not according to your weather. I've had our windows last 2-3 years no lam.

njshorts

I never laminate perfs. I've used every overlaminate out and no matter what, clients in southern California prefer non-laminated windows. I have had to replace more windows with lam then without because all lam wants to curl.
There's a catch either way in sunny locations. No Lam= no vision in rain. Lam= blinded in bright sun.
So.. What do you choose... I'd say pick lam or not according to your weather. I've had our windows last 2-3 years no lam.

really? ya'll don't have an OC lam requirement? In sunny FL, the DOT requires OC lam on any perforated window vinyl installed on a vehicle.

HulkSmash

Same here in Denver. The lam actually starts peeling, and flaking pretty quick, making it hard to see out.

J

john1

I had this problem on my first perf job. I used the Fellers Solvex with Lamex and thought it was the material. Surely enough it's the lam pushing through the holes creating that look.

I re did the job and took installation a different way and no issues.

Laminated perf (solvex and lamex combo) has worked really well for me. I did my side windows on my HHR and it's been about 6 months and no signs of curling or fading.