• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

windows 10 for free

SignManiac

I told my guys under no circumstances to do the upgrade. It's taken a long time to get all my stuff working under Win 7 and if it aint broke, don't fix it. From what I've read, Win 7 professional will be around for a few more years and I'm not taking a chance that some of my software will still function normal. I may test it on my home laptop but not any of my office machines.

SignBurst PCs

Yup, I am seeing this on our systems as well. An upgrade icon is showing up in the system tray to reserve a copy of Windows 10. It looks like the Microsoft Flag.

JERHEMI

Yup, I am seeing this on our systems as well. An upgrade icon is showing up in the system tray to reserve a copy of Windows 10. It looks like the Microsoft Flag.

Casey...what are your thoughts on updating our Signburst pc's? Any issues with drivers for printers and RIP's? I'm perfectly happy with Windows 7, so I'm sort of like "if it isn't broke, don't fix it!"

SignBurst PCs

I would absolutely wait out the initial release. Go ahead and download it if you want, but I would not install it right away.

As of now, drivers seems stable on our current systems, but we are not working on the actual release.

There is no telling what software will have compatibility issues. Stick with your Windows 7 until you get official confirmation regarding software compatibility. The major software companies will no doubt be ahead of the curve, but your small ones (i.e. RIP software companies) will need some time to test and fix any issues.

Long story short, don't install the upgrade on production systems until someone else has worked out the kinks.

Techman

The major software companies will no doubt be ahead of the curve, but your small ones (i.e. RIP software companies) will need some time to test and fix any issues.

Yes. may be true.

However, with the number of people in the test program there is no reason why any software author should be behind the curve. No reason at all. Every one with any vested interest should be ready.

I would also venture to guess from what I gathered in the test program that every thing is ready to go. Drivers, updates and anything else needed to run right. M$ does not want another Vista fiasco or WIN 8 disaster on their hands. They specifically asked for anyone with any challenge to say something.

Sven

Windows 7 is probably the LAST version of Windows I will be using. It's a fairly good, stable OS, but Microsoft has completely lost it in my opinion.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
I have WIN 8 on a gaming rig at the house. Hate it.
Everything here at the office is on 7. Just works.
Is 10 going to be more like 7 or 8 in the interface?

And what happened to number 9? :omg:

WildWestDesigns

I have Win 8.1 Pro on my Cintiq tablet and I love it. It took maybe a weekend of just playing around with it.

Now having said that, I do really like Win 7 and I'll probably stop at either 7 or 8 depending on the monitor hardware and because I'm sticking with CS6 for as long as I can foresee. I might run emulation software to run 7 or 8 if computer components can't hack it with 7 or 8 directly, which I can see happening at some point.

WildWestDesigns

We're still rockin' XP Pro here.:cool:

You know, I actually disliked XP when it was new. It was just something about it that I just didn't like. I can't put my finger on it, but I couldn't wait fast enough to get away from it. That was also my ill fated time with a Mac as well.

1leonchen

i started playing with windows from 3.1. yes 3.1. and i have always welcome the upgrades.the have been a lot of fixes and bugs over the years. but now i believe Microsoft has gone completely nuts. i mean its all about money and not about proper software. for example i bought a brand new labtop. cost me around 2000 usd. nice it ran good when i got it with windows 8. after a week it decided to update its self and required a password. ok put it in. i started to take 3 minutes to boot. wtf???. OK its new called tech support. OK u must go to 8.1. OK. i did it took 4 minutes. now the computer i got has a i7 haswell e processor 16 gb of ram and two graphics card. only thing i didn't order was the solid states drives i got hybrid setup. now thats just the fun part. according to my supplier i cant downgrade to windows 7. also 90 percent of my drivers and software wont work. go figure.
so my little old dual core computer is still my work horse. it rips prints cut and drives my cnc. and i have a 478 intel that runs some of my machine also. i could even run my laser copier any more i have to use a generic print driver. Microsoft run to get at samsung and apple is dumb and stupid. i hope apple and samsung takes over their share of the market fully. and i am supposed to used Microsoft 10. no way. i have a apple home also and i have upgraded it to the latest version. its much better than Microsoft and i can dual boot on it so i can run windows 7. i think Microsoft forgot what a computer supposed to do versus a stupid phone. a phone is for enjoyment and to assist u during the day. not actually do real work on.