• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 11 Upgrades anyone?

vondegroot

I just upgraded a recent install (one month) of Win10 on my general use hp14 i5 laptop and I gotta say, I'm diggin' it!
Doesn't seem to run any slower, and it just looks and feels so much better! I Sure did NOT like my doc in the middle though! Only certain people like that ;)

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I did a clean install on my main computer three weeks ago. Everything seems to be running fine and it didn't take long to get used to the new UI. I don't like that when you click on the clock, the calendar doesn't show up anymore. That and sometimes I come back to my desk and my laptop is completely shut down.

vondegroot

Ah yeah, I had to redo my power settings, but more annoying was having to find and adjust the Detail and List spacing "leading" setting, lol!

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I'm holding off with the Win11 upgrade for the time being. I have a fairly new 17" Alienware notebook and occasionally get notices I can install Win11 on it. I've been waiting several weeks for a new desktop system I have on order for work. That one has Win10 Pro pre-loaded. I don't want to get into mixing Win11 systems into our network with mostly Win10 machines until I know the potential pitfalls. I also want to be sure Win11 isn't going to break things in certain applications.

Some of the most touted features of Win11 aren't even in the operating system yet. Basically what is shipping now is not all that much different than Win10 other than a new user interface.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
leading edge or bleeding edge I'll wait till the bugs are worked out and i see if the drivers( if any) are compatible with the programs i use - my computer guy said wait for 6 months and see how it goes , wait for the OK from specific vendors who test 11 with their programs - if it aint broke dont fix it

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I've used Windows 11 on my Razer Blade 14" laptop.
My impressions where that it feels like win10 with a graphic user interface update. It looks nice. It's very smooth and well designed. Very snappy.

Im sure the old farts here will find every reason to complain about it....

I had no issues with software. And i highly doubt anyone will have any software issues.
If you're running software that belongs on windows XP... well it may be time to upgrade that too.
Windows has compatibility mode which solves a lot of legacy software issues. Frankly, a lot of software issues that are posted here can be fixed by a simple Right click - properties & change windows scaling or change compatibility.

I had no network issues at my shop (all win10 pro). As soon as i connected to wifi, i had my usual access to the network & server.

Elephant in the room - The AMD CPU power draw / slowdown Issue... (issue has been patched)
My Razer Blade 14 has an AMD 5900HX which did suffer from a minor slowdown / extra power draw (known patched issue) which did eat into extra battery life.
So i did go back to Win10 (before the patch was released) as it's my daily laptop and mostly use it on battery.

Is there anything wrong with Win11? no
Will up upgrade all my PCs to Win11? Yes, just not right now as i cannot be bothered.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I did a clean install on my main computer three weeks ago. Everything seems to be running fine and it didn't take long to get used to the new UI. I don't like that when you click on the clock, the calendar doesn't show up anymore. That and sometimes I come back to my desk and my laptop is completely shut down.
Can't right click the taskbar to show the task manager annoyed me. had to go back to using Ctrl+Shift+Esc

David Wright

Can't right click the taskbar to show the task manager annoyed me. had to go back to using Ctrl+Shift+Esc
Careful, you don't want to go into old fart territory.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Careful, you don't want to go into old **** territory.
It's just a muscle memory thing. getting past the muscle memory to getting to task manager was annoying but with in 2 days i forgot about it and back to using Ctrl+Shift+Esc. I use task manage a lot.

There's a lot of changes in win11 especially with right clicking that takes time to get used to.

jochwat

Graphics Department
My main concern was that, when I customized and ordered my new Dell machine, it offered no other OS option other than Win11. And at the time, Adobe's list of compatible apps was pretty grim, and most importantly didn't include Illustrator. My machine wasn't due to ship until the end of December, so I just crossed my fingers and hoped it would be ironed out by them. I also have a decent 17" laptop for a backup if it came to that. It appears, though, that most/many of the Adobe apps I use or plan to use are already usable with Win11, so that made me feel better. Pretty excited to get a fast, robust machine with a new OS to fart around with.

jochwat

Graphics Department
My main concern was that, when I customized and ordered my new Dell machine, it offered no other OS option other than Win11. And at the time, Adobe's list of compatible apps was pretty grim, and most importantly didn't include Illustrator. My machine wasn't due to ship until the end of December, so I just crossed my fingers and hoped it would be ironed out by them. I also have a decent 17" laptop for a backup if it came to that. It appears, though, that most/many of the Adobe apps I use or plan to use are already usable with Win11, so that made me feel better. Pretty excited to get a fast, robust machine with a new OS to **** around with.
Just a note: my auto-censored word there was more in the realm of flatulence, not fornication.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Pauly said:
I had no issues with software. And i highly doubt anyone will have any software issues.

Are Postscript Type 1 fonts compatible with Windows 11? They still work in Windows 10. Adobe will phase out support of Type 1 fonts in its applications over the next year or so. That may prod other developers to pull support for Type 1 fonts as well.

jochwat said:
My main concern was that, when I customized and ordered my new Dell machine, it offered no other OS option other than Win11.

That's pretty odd. Just a couple weeks ago I ordered a new Dell XPS "special edition" desktop unit to replace a co-worker's aging workstation. It's supposed to arrive just prior to New Year's Eve. Meanwhile the desktop tower I ordered for myself in September is supposed to arrive around Thanksgiving. Both systems will have Win 10 Pro pre-loaded. I ordered the machines from Dell's business portal rather than the "home" side. When I ordered my desktop tower in September the "home" side of Dell's website only had the home version of Windows 10 available for XPS towers.

jochwat

Graphics Department
Are Postscript Type 1 fonts compatible with Windows 11? They still work in Windows 10. Adobe will phase out support of Type 1 fonts in its applications over the next year or so. That may prod other developers to pull support for Type 1 fonts as well.

That's pretty odd. Just a couple weeks ago I ordered a new Dell XPS "special edition" desktop unit to replace a co-worker's aging workstation. It's supposed to arrive just prior to New Year's Eve. Meanwhile the desktop tower I ordered for myself in September is supposed to arrive around Thanksgiving. Both systems will have Win 10 Pro pre-loaded. I ordered the machines from Dell's business portal rather than the "home" side. When I ordered my desktop tower in September the "home" side of Dell's website only had the home version of Windows 10 available for XPS towers.
Yes, you are correct -- the Business side as of late still offers Win 10 Pro along with a Win 11 License, with the Home side only offering Win 11 Home. I guess they're figuring anyone ordering on the Business side would like the option to not risk blowing out their important software, and anyone ordering on the Home side just won't care. I think the only reason I stayed with the "Home" version was the interest-free payments went for 12 months for Home and only 6 for business. Possibly some configuration difference as well, but the financing was the key to the decision.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Windows 11 was released on October 5. Microsoft is pushing the new OS out to existing PCs new enough to qualify running it.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I hate showing up to a new machine install and the customer has a band new computer with a new OS on it. It happened last week when I was installing a Mimaki JV100. Was my first time even seeing Windows 11. To my surprise everything installed and worked properly! So if you're looking to run a JV100 with Flexi on windows 11, you're a go.

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
I upgraded my personal laptop that I run the Adobe suite on a few weeks ago and so far I have not had any issues, the interface just seems easier for me. When I first got my laptop with 10 in July, I felt like I knew Mac OS better even though I have primarily worked with windows pre-10 for years. My production machine with Onyx and also powers my cutters has not offered me the update and I'll only screw around with it on that machine if it become availble because our IT department can restore it if it doesn't work out.

WildWestDesigns

My impressions where that it feels like win10 with a graphic user interface update. It looks nice. It's very smooth and well designed. Very snappy.
The UI does look nice. Of course, I see a lot of things from KDE (or atleast look heavily inspired by that). Which is a good thing, a very nice looking UI, big KDE fan here.

Is there anything wrong with Win11? no
I'm not a fan of needing to have MS Account versus having a local account. That would be the one thing that would keep me off of it. I do believe that there are still work around (keeping the computer offline during setup), now that is with the Home version. Pro version, I think you have domains that you can setup. That would be the biggest thing. It's going well into the OS as a service (which they already have for anyone that wants the Enterprise version that doesn't qualify via bulk license purchase), which I just don't like. I get some like the convenience, but that does come with cons as well.

The one nice pro of Windows bloat (and that's really what it is), is backward compatibility tends to be the best. Windows is still the only one out of the box that has 32 libs in it. Things like that, cons as well to that, but can't deny the pros.

Business portals usually keep the older supported OS. Lenovo does as well, at least last time I checked a couple of weeks ago. Win 10 is still supported til 2025. I find it strange that people are surprised about Win 11 when it was first announced. Win 10 always had an EOL of 2025 on MS' site, which seemed strange for an OS that was supposedly the last one, but I digress.

Last edited: