• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 11 Upgrades anyone?

jochwat

Graphics Department
Is this even released yet? I went to the website or one of them and it doesn't look like the white person version has come out yet for sure.
I'm still trying to figure out what features are different in the "white person version" in comparison to whatever the "other" versions are. o_O

GB2

Old Member
So I just rebooted a Windows 10 PC and now it's asking me to upgrade to Windows 11. The choice is Accept or Decline....does anyone know if this is a one time deal if you decline? I'm not interested in upgrading to Windows 11 but I don't want to lose the chance by declining and I can't proceed without choosing something.

GB2

Old Member
OK, so I did a search on the internet and found a couple of sites that say if you originally decline the upgrade, you can go to settings/update and upgrade from there....so I will decline for the moment and proceed with my day!

vondegroot

I don't think you can ever be "forced" to upgrade. But I would recommend it if you can swing it - it's such a nice UI.
I always hated the ultra flat Win10 UI.

netsol

I've used Windows 11 on my Razer Blade 14" laptop.
My impressions where that it feels like win10 with a graphic user interface update. It looks nice. It's very smooth and well designed. Very snappy.

Im sure the old farts here will find every reason to complain about it....

I had no issues with software. And i highly doubt anyone will have any software issues.
If you're running software that belongs on windows XP... well it may be time to upgrade that too.
Windows has compatibility mode which solves a lot of legacy software issues. Frankly, a lot of software issues that are posted here can be fixed by a simple Right click - properties & change windows scaling or change compatibility.

I had no network issues at my shop (all win10 pro). As soon as i connected to wifi, i had my usual access to the network & server.

Elephant in the room - The AMD CPU power draw / slowdown Issue... (issue has been patched)
My Razer Blade 14 has an AMD 5900HX which did suffer from a minor slowdown / extra power draw (known patched issue) which did eat into extra battery life.
So i did go back to Win10 (before the patch was released) as it's my daily laptop and mostly use it on battery.

Is there anything wrong with Win11? no
Will up upgrade all my PCs to Win11? Yes, just not right now as i cannot be bothered.
we've been through 2 many rounds of this with microsoft

i seem to remember, years ago, you guys saying "i just upgraded to windows 10 AND EVERYTHING IS SO FAST...

how is that working out for us? i am going to assume we just don't know windows 11 well enough to dislike it, yet

(that's 139,000,000 results...

1639771646603.png

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
i seem to remember, years ago, you guys saying "i just upgraded to windows 10 AND EVERYTHING IS SO FAST...

The speed increases you gain with new computing hardware and new generations of operating systems are soon taken away by ever increasing bloat in newer software.

One example of this idiocy: an update of a Realtek audio driver in my Alienware notebook was over a freaking Gigabyte in size. WTF!!?? A gigabyte sized update for a sound card. It's not even a digital audio editing application like ProTools, Audacity, Audition, etc. It's just a driver update, not even the whole driver. But it's a full gigabyte in size.

It's kind of laughable to look back on the days of MS-DOS, its 640 kilobyte memory limit and doing various hacks to the autoexec.bat and config.sys files to get drivers and TSRs to load correctly. Back in those days RAM was over $40 per megabyte. Hard discs were very limited in capacity. CD burners were a cutting edge item rather than land fill fodder like they are today. Software had to be coded with a sense of economy. Today it's just bloat bloat bloat.

A brand new computer with 32GB or more of RAM, an NVMe solid state hard drive, a fast video card and CPU will boot up and run very quickly. But with as sloppy as developers have been it won't be more than a few years before those hardware specs give you a computer takes a couple or more minutes to boot and run programs really slowly.

netsol

I am the last one to make excuses for this idiocy, but,
These days they take way too many functions away from hardware and make everything a software device

WildWestDesigns

The speed increases you gain with new computing hardware and new generations of operating systems are soon taken away by ever increasing bloat in newer software.
Not to mention the bloat that comes in from the forced OS updates that also included big feature updates, that may not benefit the hardware that is installed on the local machine and in fact, may be a detriment to it.

That same thing can be applied to SaaS software and their rolling release software that is pushed at a yearly rate, which probably has memory leaks out the ying yang due to that truncated schedule in order to give the impression to their consumers (not customers, but consumers, big difference) that it is worth this new pricing schema.

But with as sloppy as developers have been it won't be more than a few years before those hardware specs give you a computer takes a couple or more minutes to boot and run programs really slowly.
It's not just the 3rd party devs, there are some things that MS is doing on their own that devs have to follow. For instance, let's stick with the audio. Back during the wonderful Vista days, in MS' infinite wisdom, decided to make the audio not handled directly by the kernel, but through a vm layer. Sound back in the 9x days, was actually better with less compared to what it is today. And that is directly related to that decision at MS. Sure it's gotten better, but only proportional to the quality of equipment that you get. All related to that poor decision(my opinion mind you). That affects all 3rd party firmware, software, hardware.

Some actually goes back to legacy elements in Windows (I made reference to this in the other thread). Still have those legacy bits in there, devs are still going to target those libs. Windows really needs to start over, there is a lot of legacy bloat in there. Problem is, people will lose their precious legacy compatibility. There really is no innocent party here. Some of this is due to the OS vendor, some of this is due to the 3rd party vendors as well.

MS, because it is their OS, can make things as hard or as easy for devs as they want to and they make it hard in some instances. Sometimes, I can understand and even in the others, I can somewhat understand, but I find it more troublesome (ignoring the host file contents etc).

I am the last one to make excuses for this idiocy, but,
These days they take way too many functions away from hardware and make everything a software device

Of course they will. That serves two purposes, at least. 1 they can go with the subscription service. 2 they can also claim more IP and make it to where people don't really own anything as it is heavily dependent on the software component.

I would also say that they are also dumbing down the UI as well. I'm reading that some students don't even know file/folder hierarchy anymore. Really pretty bad as that should be a simple thing.