• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 7...I'm in Love

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
After hearing all of the horror stories about upgrading to a new computer and fighting software and equipment incompatability, I can say that I've joined the ranks of Windows 7 users and have lived to tell about it. No hiccups across the board, whatsoever.

I ordered a Dell Precision 1600 workstation online and had it outfitted with enough goodies to keep me productive until the next time I need to upgrade. It came standard with a gazillion USB ports and even a serial port (also standard). I'm using it to run a 20 year old Gerber GS15 (using SignLab 8 along with Illustrator CS5, AutoCAD 2000i). Everything with the plotter, ACAD and SL8 worked the first time through...which I find to be utterly amazing. I had to contact Adobe online to fix a licensing problem since my old computer took a dump before I could deactivate the software, but that went extremely well via online chat...way faster than telephone help.

I was close to pulling the trigger on an "off the shelf" system at Best Buy, but I'm really glad I took time to research my options and spend a few extra hundred bucks.

I had to wait two weeks and use the kids' laptops during the interim...one laptop to do the "heavy-duty" design work, and an older laptop to run the plotter...constantly switching back and forth a dozen times a day was a real pain.

Love the Win 7 interface...lots to learn, but I'm having fun.

JB

SignManiac

I have to agree with you. After all I've been through from the very beginning days of DOS, Windows version 1, and every incarnation to come after that, I feel like Win 7 is finally a good OS. The thing I love most is RAM, RAM, RAM!!!!!!!

genericname

The only issues I've had with Win7 are in the networking department. Specifically, trying to share Win7 files over a network, with systems running older operating systems.

Finally got it going, but I had to modify a few settings in the registry.

Other than that, Win7 has blown me away. When I first got it at home, I ran into a compatibility issue with some legacy hardware. I chuckled when I clicked on the "attempt to find a solution" button, as any Windows user knows that such an action was always met with a series of frustrating, condescending questions, and finally "Sorry, we couldn't find a solution to your problem".

About five seconds after I pressed the button, Windows had found a solution, and applied it automatically. The bloody thing fixed itself.

Instant fan.

James Burke

I'm running Windows 7 Professional and it has XP Mode. I had assumed I needed XP to continue running AutoCAD, but it seems to be doing fine with 7.

Does anybody know if XP automatically runs in the background, and thus allows me to run older software without having to do anything special?

JB

genericname

Nope, but it does have multiple compatibility modes. If you're having an issue with a particular old program, go to its properties. Under the "compatibility" tab, you can select which OS behaviour best suits it. Uuuuuusually, it results in a "VOILA!" moment. Which uuuuusually results in a "holy crap!" statement from me.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I just wish Windows 7 (and Vista previously) supported Postscript Type 1 Multiple Master fonts. They worked with WinXP via Adobe Type Manager Lite. Now if I'm in a pinch and need to use one of them I'll open one in Fontographer, choose what instance I want and then generate a "single master" face. Kind of a pain, but at least the fonts are not completely lost.

One thing I do like with how Win 7 treats fonts: you get thumbnail previews of the letters. That's very handy when the font file names have cryptic numbers rather than names. I have a folder of 2000 URW fonts from Deneba Canvas that are named like that.

I have the 64-bit version of Win 7 installed on my new Dell XPS notebook. One strange thing I observed: apparently you can't cut/paste certain things between a 32-bit and 64-bit application. For example, I have the Adobe CS5.5 Master Collection. By default it installs 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Photoshop CS 5.5. At first I thought it was kind of a waste, but then I found out Adobe Illustrator can't paste paths, smart objects, etc. into the 64-bit version of Photoshop. You have to use the 32-bit version. Then if need be, re-launch the 64-bit version and re-open the file. I have older 32-bit plug-ins running in the 32-bit version of Photoshop and newer ones, such as the latest version of Alien Skin Eye Candy, running in the 64-bit version.

SignBurst PCs

I'm running Windows 7 Professional and it has XP Mode. I had assumed I needed XP to continue running AutoCAD, but it seems to be doing fine with 7.

Does anybody know if XP automatically runs in the background, and thus allows me to run older software without having to do anything special?

JB

No, it doesn't. You have to install XP Mode (free) if you want to run a virtual PC in XP. Windows 7 have been great in compatibility with older applications, but in the even you really need XP, XP Mode is there.

James Burke

No, it doesn't. You have to install XP Mode (free) if you want to run a virtual PC in XP. Windows 7 have been great in compatibility with older applications, but in the even you really need XP, XP Mode is there.

Thanks, I'm assuming I do this at microsoft.com, correct?

JB

genericname

At first I thought it was kind of a waste, but then I found out Adobe Illustrator can't paste paths, smart objects, etc. into the 64-bit version of Photoshop.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I did just that. Was it just a quirk you noticed, or is this documented anywhere?

gabagoo

I have been running win 7 for about a year and I don't think I have ever had a crash.

I do experience some weird things once in a while but that might be Signlab8 and how it interfaces with the OS...nothing to hinder cutting or designing, more in the file retrieval end and sometimes some slow to import issues. (slow as in I might have to wait 5 - 10 seconds before anything happens on screen, making me wonder if I hit the import button at all lol)

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Glad to hear all went well and even happier to hear you went with a professional workstation instead of a consumer grade system. I've mentioned it before - most professional workstations have legacy ports for a reason as well as higher costs. They are built to be much more reliable than consumer systems and to be able to allow businesses to upgrade systems while still connecting to commercial hardware that requires real serial ports.

James Burke

Glad to hear all went well and even happier to hear you went with a professional workstation instead of a consumer grade system. I've mentioned it before - most professional workstations have legacy ports for a reason as well as higher costs. They are built to be much more reliable than consumer systems and to be able to allow businesses to upgrade systems while still connecting to commercial hardware that requires real serial ports.

That was what surprised me the most, and if anybody can get something out of this post, this surely would be the nugget.

The "out of the box" experience was the most compelling, and since I'd been down for the better part of two weeks I surely didn't need one more hassle to contend with.

I'll admit, those big-box store prices are tempting, but the few extra hundred bucks for the correct system is certainly worth the price of admission. When it took me nearly a half-hour of haggling to get a sales associate to print me off the specs at B*st B*y, I knew I needed to do something differently.

JB