• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 7...I'm in Love

visual800

I just got my mom a refub from tiger direct it has windows 7 the only thing I do not like is all the secirty BS permission and it wont allow this or allow that....luckily with google you can beat this windows into bw coming your b***h!

I didnt appreciate that crap in vista, I never understood why it has to be so difficult to do simple things with out being offered permisision to do so....... I dont like equipments controlling what I do.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I just got my mom a refub from tiger direct it has windows 7 the only thing I do not like is all the secirty BS permission and it wont allow this or allow that....luckily with google you can beat this windows into bw coming your b***h!

I didnt appreciate that crap in vista, I never understood why it has to be so difficult to do simple things with out being offered permisision to do so....... I dont like equipments controlling what I do.

Not a problem if you're the admin.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The only issues I've had with Win7 are in the networking department. Specifically, trying to share Win7 files over a network, with systems running older operating systems.

Finally got it going, but I had to modify a few settings in the registry....

Exactly what did you do?

I brought up a Windows 7 machine replacing and old XP machine. This machine used to share the c drive on my shop machine, the shop machine would share the c drive on the old machine, and the desktop of one could be brought up on the other using VNC.

With advent of the Windows 7 machine I could no longer share drives/files or communicate via VNC using the names of the machines. I have to use the IP addresses assigned by my router, not the machine names. This means that any time the router is recycled, as in power failure etc., I may or may not have to garner the new IP addresses and set them up in my shared drives/files.

Moreover, you cannot share an entire drive with Windows 7, you can only share a folder, one at a time. Not how I want to do it and annoying in that I'll decide what I want my equipment to do and when I want it to do it. If I should be desirous of protection from something, I'll ask for it. Until that time, just do exactly as I say.

As far as Windows & in general, I'll give it one shrug on a scale of whatever. It differs trivially from previous Microsoft offerings. It remains Yet Another operating system designed by a community of beings who don't know what an operating system is, or could be. Worse, they think they do.

genericname

Moreover, you cannot share an entire drive with Windows 7, you can only share a folder, one at a time.

Not true. What version are you using? I'm running Win7 Professional here, and I have two removable drives shared over our network. I also just tried setting up my C drive as a share, and that worked as well.

VNC's tricky, I'll admit that, but more than likely it would only require a small tweak to your firewall rules to get going. That, or you need to make sure everything's on the same work network... none of that homegroup garbage. I can access any computer on the network by name; don't need their specific IPs.

Colin

As my old XP machine was 4 years old, a few months ago I got a new Win7 Pro 64 bit machine (6 core) along with Office 2010; Corel X5, and Adobe Design Standard 5.5. My plan on "easing into" this machine has been working out really well. I have an Aten KVM switch and flip between the old computer and the 7 all day.

I like how you install fonts in 7: right click on font > Install font. Done. The new font instantly works in an already open software without re-starting it.

I also like how fast it boots up. Lots to learn.

signswi

doesnt work when i already have the documents folder on it

Right click the documents folder you already have and you'll see the pinned folders at the top of the list. Below that recent folders.

Glad to see so many Win7 fans, it really is a great OS.

rjpjr

I enjoy Windows 7 EXCEPT when selecting or hi-lighting a LARGE file (1 gig or larger) in Windows Explore.
Occasionally I will need to rename or move a file and when the file name is selected, the program stalls waiting on a render preview to be generated and displayed at the bottom of the page that I do not need or want!! :frustrated:

2NinerNiner2

I enjoy Windows 7 EXCEPT when selecting or hi-lighting a LARGE file (1 gig or larger) in Windows Explore.
Occasionally I will need to rename or move a file and when the file name is selected, the program stalls waiting on a render preview to be generated and displayed at the bottom of the page that I do not need or want!! :frustrated:

Same goes for right-clicking a large (one with a LOT of files - for example a Joomla! install package) ZIP file in order to copy/cut; takes FOREVER! In XP, it was "immediate" ... well, for Windows anyway :)

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.