• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 7 "User Control Account" settings

J Hill Designs

Start IE in No Add-ons mode, either by right-clicking the Desktop icon, or clicking START | RUN and typing: iexplore.exe -extoff

SignBurst PCs

Manage add-ons from the tools menu. Click on each add-on and disable one at a time (or multiple) until you find one that changes the behavior. You have to restart IE every time you make a change.

If you use no add-on mode, then you still have to find out which one is causing the behavior.

Colin

I disabled all of them and it made no difference.

I've put it back to where it was before now.

:help

qmr55

I've downloaded Chrome. No lag.

Chrome is amazing. End of story.

I've been running no anti-virus for 6 years now on my xp and now my 7 machine as well. Been running chrome since it was first released and love it.

I run CCleaner and Malwarebytes every once in awhile.

No problems ever.

visual800

I think one of the wost things that "sneak" past people is add-ons and junk in start up. I am always checking both and others may disagree but I swear crap add-ons were added and I had no idea, maybe it was in a firefox update i dont know someohow they snuck in there. I have also crap sneak into my starup.

having a computer is work! if you like me I check my computer like i check my damn credit card and bank statements line by line! every now and then I catch some stuff

Colin

I think one of the wost things that "sneak" past people is add-ons and junk in start up. I am always checking both and others may disagree but I swear crap add-ons were added and I had no idea, maybe it was in a firefox update i dont know someohow they snuck in there. I have also crap sneak into my starup.

So would that suggest that having your UAC settings (in Win7) at a higher level is a good idea?

Last edited:

JoshLoring

I have UAC turned off on all machines. Also disable any aero or 3d desktop themes if you can. This all really effects performance in photoshop and illustrator. Seriously...

Techman

Colin,
'Are you using AVG for a virus deflector.?

If so lose it for something much higher on the scale such as avast.

JoshLoring

Techman said:
Colin,
'Are you using AVG for a virus deflector.?

If so lose it for something much higher on the scale such as avast.

No no no.
We tried avast once. Killed computers speed. Avg is designer approved by me. Just buy the good stuff and not free

Techman

No no no.
We tried avast once. Killed computers speed. Avg is designer approved by me. Just buy the good stuff and not free

Sorry. But the facts just do not support this statement.

All one has to do is read around on this very forum and see for themselves just how much AVG has caused noticeable slow downs on so many users machines.
While Avast has not caused a single problem.

AVG lost its standing whenn it became bloatware a while ago.