• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 7

S'N'S

I see Windows 7 Beta version is out so it wont be long before its released to the public. Microsoft are now saying that Vista was just a fill in from XP till they got 7 up and running, why don't they just admit it was a flop.

Shovelhead

I downloaded it last night and ran it through VirtualBox.
Hopefully this will be an improvement.
Obviously, it bears a strong resemblance to Vista but the navigation seems a whole
lot better.
So far it's a rather nice experience.

Shovelhead

I see Windows 7 Beta version is out so it wont be long before its released to the public. Microsoft are now saying that Vista was just a fill in from XP till they got 7 up and running, why don't they just admit it was a flop.

I don't believe Vista or ME were accidental flops.
It's all a monolithical calculated plan.

coyote

I've been holding off until Vista is replaced...my main question is whether it'll take huge memory as Vista does, and will it work with my peripherals or should I just keep my XP computer forever (or buy a Mac)? I don't need any bells or whistles-no gaming, don't do video-just need a machine that'll run my graphics software and do word processing. (boring, I know...)
C

Shovelhead

Windows 7:

• 1GHz processor (32- or 64-bit)
  • 1GB of main memory
  • 16GB of available disk space
  • Support for DX9 graphics with 128MB of memory (for the Aero interface)
Vista: Premium (Home Basic: (20G HD/512 MB RAM) )

• 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 GB of system memory
  • 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
  • Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:
    • WDDM Driver
    • 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
    • Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
    • 32 bits per pixel

24G less on your HD!

SignBurst PCs

I have been playing with it in Virtual PC a bit the last couple days. I like it. Windows 7 (so far) seems to be a "molded" Vista.

I do have a problem with the taskbar (or task-band as it is now called) so far. They seemed to have done away with "quick launch" due to the way that the new taskband works (similar to the OSX approach).

Joe Diaz

Yeah part of me is excited about the new taskbar, part of me thinks that I will immediately want to figure out away to switch back to the old taskbar, mainly because i'm used to it.

I'm excited about what they might do with the touchscreen capabilities. My next laptop might have to be a touchscreen or tablet.

As much as I like the way vista looks, I'm not in love with it, I was hoping they would improve the visual style even more, it is defiantly better then XP though.

SignBurst PCs

Yeah part of me is excited about the new taskbar, part of me thinks that I will immediately want to figure out away to switch back to the old taskbar, mainly because i'm used to it.

Yeah, we'll see. Maybe I am just resisting change a bit. It may grow on me.

cptcorn

adad

I'm excited about what they might do with the touchscreen capabilities. My next laptop might have to be a touchscreen or tablet.

As much as I like the way vista looks, I'm not in love with it, I was hoping they would improve the visual style even more, it is defiantly better then XP though.

I've been apart of the invite beta... Windows 7 is better than xp. It's just as stable if not more. Surprisingly.

The new task bar works out well for what it is... you wont be trying to switch back... it's nothing special though.

CES020

Windows 7 aim is to kill Linux in the Netbook device market though you will not find MS saying that.

Good luck in making that stick. People who run Linux run it because they hate MS products and/or the company in general. My guess is if it was anything with a MS stamp on it, those people wouldn't go for it.

From the backend of things, everything I have heard is this is not a rewrite in the OS, it's simply a polishing and fine tuning of Vista (to make it where it should have been on Day 1). So it's not a "new OS" so to speak. Might be in a new box, but it's core is still the Vista core. I know there are some internal differences, but from all the reports I have heard, it's just polished up Vista, with many bugs or hated features resolved.

Tony Teveris

MS will bundle it and be very price competative for NetBook manufactures not to look at it. Ms's touch screen technology is far better than any Linux touch screen technology.

MS has the $$$ to do a lot of marketing once it's ready, who "owns" Linux ?? who will do it's marketing. Once announced Win 7 will kill Linux in the NetBook market. MS does not want NetBook users using Linux and use to Linux email, word processing, etc. They (MS) want to keep that market and see Linux as a threat (small but will grow).

Techman

Here is another viewpoint.

My opinion is that it will be another slow mover. XP is still great. It runs just fine. If w7 comes out as another resource hog and act like a sleeping dog with the upper level systems it will not be popular either.

Oh, I almost forgot. The UAC deal that really aggravated every one.. Well, it deinstall software you must have UAC turned on. (beta) that will go over well. NOT!

Here is more from another viewpoint..

http://keznews.com/5213_First_reactions_to_Windows_7

Excerpts...

When it came to thinking about upgrading, those who said they might had the usual reservations:

* Need a clear idea of the benefits compared to current OS
* Compatibility with existing hardware and software
* Overall learning curve
* Price
* General worries about the economy

My take here is that Windows 7 is going to be a tough sell for Microsoft. In a climate where people are concerned about spending money people are going to be extra reluctant to spend money on an OS that might end up costing them a ton of cash in software and hardware upgrades. Maintaining a high level of compatibility with Vista hardware and software (and encouraging vendors to fix issues quickly) is going to be a must. Microsoft also needs to make 100% clear the benefits that Windows 7 offers, and these have to be far more tangible than rejazzed interface and some restructuring of components. For me the increased performance that Windows 7 seems to offer is good enough reason to upgrade, but I don’t think this will be such a slam-dunk when it comes to the average home user or typical business user.

Given that Vista only has a market share of about 21%, compared to XP’s market share of about 65%, it’s XP users that Microsoft needs to be targeting for upgrade. And that’s a problem, because folks who avoided Vista because of compatibility issues and stayed with XP are going to be faced with similar issues when upgrading to Windows 7. This is one reason why Microsoft needs to release Windows 7 earlier rather than later in order to be able to capitalize on the mid-year “back to school” notebook buying frenzy - this market is less concerned about backward compatibility.

hoppers

I wonder if the OP is actually using and running Vista or just trashing it? I know it came out to a low of bad press and had its issues...but honestly (I hope I’m not jinxing myself here) - I like Vista....it has been quite stable for me on two machines. One I bought with it 2 years ago when it still was somewhat "fresh" and it hasn’t crashed on me or did really weird things. Also no virus and spyware like I would get on my XP machines (how I’m sure really sure).

Sure XP was and is great, I do love it...but Vista isn’t so bad and I read the same a lot on other computer forums when it took people a bit of time to get used to it - but since it was shoved down on us basically (not the best, I agree) but every computer in big box stores now come with it - so it cant be THAT bad.

I think OS is more user generated errors with installing a ton of krap and not backing up properly etc. I pick and choose the things I install, but still have done a lot to Vista in the past 2 years without any problems. My biggest issue was IE 7 crashing all the time and once I went to firefox, I never looked back!

Windows 7 is a build on top of Vista, it has to be since they barely have had much time to write new code (how long did vista take to come out?). I’m sure it will be good as Vistas kinks have gotten worked out pretty well the past 2+ years. I think M$ just wants to ditch the Vista name and look to start fresh, although its really just marketing.

Sorry for the long wind, try out Vista...you probably will like it with some tweaking!

And no I don’t work for M$ ;) - just actually giving them some credit since they have fixed a lot of the main Vista issues the past year or so. I hope W7 is a decent upgrade...

Techman

Windows 7 is a build on top of Vista, it has to be since they barely have had much time to write new code (how long did vista take to come out?).

Mistaken theory..

Vista is a patched up versions of windows 2k3 server. It is not the "real" vista.. The imposter was in place because the real one was not ready and would not be ready until key market decisions were made. IE: The idea is to eventually get to a subscription based usage and that plan was not hashed out fully. However it is now as the latest M$ patent for this method reveals. The basis is that you will pay for usage. Low fees will apply to email and general usage while higher fees will apply to heavy cpu and hard drive accesses like what we do in graphics. Will this system fly? Well we shall see. The windows activation system is the beta of this.

Windows 7 is the real vista. To prove this all you have to do is compare certain lines of the 2k3 server core code with the vista core. They match.
The windows 7 core code does not match.

Win 7 will run faster and it is a smaller foot print because it is a different code.

Of course, I do not know every thing, and of course this is just opinion based on actual observations of code.

cptcorn

adad
I use XP64 at work... Vista 64 Ultimate at home... Dual Boot W7 at Home...

I choose W7 overall... on every subject...

trakers

I've been using GUI's since GEOS on the C64 and MS products since Windoze 3.1.

> 3.1 was cool because it was new.
> Windows 95 was the pretty good.
> Windows 98 was better.
> WindowsMe was the 2nd worst consumer OS every released by MS (If you don't count Bob).
> Windows XP was, and still is, the best consumer OS MS has ever released.
Congratulations to Windows Vista 32 (and 64 in particular) for grabbing honors for the WORST OS ever released out of Redmond.

Been running Windows 7 here and am very impressed thus far. Windows 7 will be what Vista should have been.

Either way, better get ready boys and girls cause access to new XP licenses is about gone. I know they've moved the drop dead date over and over but the latest one (July 31) will most likely stick since Windows 7 will release shortly thereafter.

Shortly after that Vista can take its rightful place alongside the Edsel, New Coke, Apple Lisa, and MS Bob.

hoppers

Got it Tech - I gotcha since Im clearly just basing on some things I read, so I hope W7 is the new, true Windows that is great...

but was more just saying, Im pleasantly surprised with how well Vista has treated me the past 2+ years and know of a few others like me. I was very scared going in and now its nothing to me. In sure W7 will have its glitches, but being less of a resource hog will be very nice (upgraded my ram from 1 Gb to 4 Gb in Vista and it helped a good amount)

hoppers

Shortly after that Vista can take its rightful place alongside the Edsel, New Coke, Apple Lisa, and MS Bob.

haha "New coke" - that product was a joke! ;) Oh and dont forget Windows ME - that OS hosed me more times then I would have liked to remember!

Glad W7 is getting good reviews from top sources and normal day to day users. Wonder how much the upgrade will be from Vista? ;)