• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 8 WTF

phototec

Wow, just purchase a new laptop with Windows 8 (my first time using Windows 8), and I don't like it at all!

Maybe because I'm just set in my ways of using older OS versions (XP, Vista, Windows 7), it even has a touch screen (even more confusing).

Are any of you using Windows 8 and like it?

Are they any suggestions or tricks to make it function more like a traditional Windows operating system?

Thoughts?

:omg:

Techman

win 8 is the failure of windows. Turns out it is worse than The other failure known as vista. So sad it could have been a good OS if M$ would've just left well enough alone. Sections of the beta team wrote reports over the problems but were ignored and dismissed. In fact many beta team members were not renewed when their reports failed to follow the party line. However karma came around and the manager of the win8 project was promptly fired within weeks of its release.

Many new machines came with a downgrade path back to win 7.. Did yours have that option?

Did you do the update to 8.1? That update was allegedly to resolve some the hate over win 8.

SignBurst PCs

I really like Windows 8. It took me a couple days of constant use to figure navigation out, but after I did, I can navigate much more quickly in 8 that I can in 7.

That being said, it did take some time to get used to and I don't know that everyone has the time or the inclination to completely re-learn how to navigate their PC.

We still build all of our systems with Windows 7 unless the customer specifically asks for Windows 8.

WildWestDesigns

Did you do the update to 8.1? That update was allegedly to resolve some the hate over win 8.

To be honest, I've actually preferred the way things were before 8.1.

I have it on my Cintiq Companion and I prefer it on that platform. Took me about a weekend to get used to it, but to me it does make sense on what they were doing when using a touchscreen. I don't know if I would have liked it as much or at all if it was a traditional laptop/desktop.

Been running it since the end of September beginning of October when the Cintiq was shipped out to me. No regrets on Win 8 Pro at all.

phototec

I got a laptop with win8 last year, returned it in a day.

That was exactly my first thought, however I got a really good deal on it.

Dell 15R with Intel i7, 8gb RAM, 1TB HHD for $575.

I could get Windows 7 software for around $100, is it easy to convert it backwards to Windows 7, for someone who is NOT a computer geek?

:help

PRS Bryan

I use both windows 8 and 7 depending on which machine I am using.

Yes, everyone hates windows 8, but I don't think it is that big of a deal.

First bit of advice is use the familiar desktop as opposed to the "Live Tiles".

Second make shortcuts for the control panel and "my computer" on the desktop.

Third alt+f4 will quickly close any tile based window.

The unfamiliar is always frustrating, but given a little time, it will be come second nature.

Also remember that the hated Vista soon became Windows 7, the system that most of us are currently using.

phototec

I use both windows 8 and 7 depending on which machine I am using.

Yes, everyone hates windows 8, but I don't think it is that big of a deal.

First bit of advice is use the familiar desktop as opposed to the "Live Tiles".

Second make shortcuts for the control panel and "my computer" on the desktop.

Third alt+f4 will quickly close any tile based window.

The unfamiliar is always frustrating, but given a little time, it will be come second nature.

Also remember that the hated Vista soon became Windows 7, the system that most of us are currently using.

Thanks Bryan, very good advice about the shortcuts.

How do I use the familiar desktop as opposed to the "Live Tiles", I have accidently come across the familiar desktop, but not sure I understand how to get there, and stay there?

PRS Bryan

Thanks Bryan, very good advice about the shortcuts.

How do I use the familiar desktop as opposed to the "Live Tiles", I have accidently come across the familiar desktop, but not sure I understand how to get there, and stay there?

There should be a tile that has an image of your desktop. Clicking on it will bring will take you it.

The other option is to just start typing "desktop". Windows will give you a link on the right hand side of the screen.

This works for about anything, need PowerPoint, start typing PowerPoint. Need Illustrator, start typing Illustrator.

It is probably the coolest feature of Windows 8.

Also to shut down go to the desktop and right click on the windows icon in the bottom left, it will give you the option.

Supergirl

I upgraded right away to 8.1

at least it's a semi functional windows button.

i heard for $5 you can buy "the old" windows button, but as i'm learning to use 8.1 i actually don't need it.

when you are in the new "tile" view, just start typing what you're looking for.
you can type directly control panel or snipping tool or whatever you need, hit enter, voila!

i have a top left tile representing my desktop, so if i'm lost, i can always hit win key, then desktop LOL

i'm sure there is a million things that i haven't figured out yet (don't really know how to get to the settings/reboot button except with touchscreen) but i'll keep it.

phototec

win 8 is the failure of windows. Turns out it is worse than The other failure known as vista. So sad it could have been a good OS if M$ would've just left well enough alone. Sections of the beta team wrote reports over the problems but were ignored and dismissed. In fact many beta team members were not renewed when their reports failed to follow the party line. However karma came around and the manager of the win8 project was promptly fired within weeks of its release.

Many new machines came with a downgrade path back to win 7.. Did yours have that option?

After checking, the laptop is loaded with Win 8.1, it's still way different for me from what I'm use to.

I appreciate all who have given me pointers, I will give it a go and try and get a handle on it.

It is just so darn different, unless you have actually tried it, you will not KNOW what a bizarre experience this is!

:omg:

AnthonyRalano

I had driver issues with Windows 8, Flexi, & Mimaki. I used it for two days. I felt like I was using a little girls iphone and went back to Windows 7.

phototec

Anyone ever installed backward OS?

Like if I purchase Windows 7, can you load it over Windows 8.1?

How difficult is it to do this?

TammieH

I would assume if you have all the drivers, or can down load them prior and save, you should be able to format and reinstall the software, as long as they have Windows 7 ver drivers for the hardware in your comp.

Supergirl

i can't imagine that you can do it from within windows.

but you can insert your clean win7 cd and make sure to change the boot order (and boot from CD)
Then make a clean install. THIS WILL WIPE your computer.

you could make another partition and install win7 in a different partition which would leave the other one intact, but unless you know what you're doing, i'd stay away from it and either wipe it now while it's new and empty OR just give it a try. really. it's not that bad.
it's not like vista that it locks up all the time. it's just different.

SignBurst PCs

You shouldn't even need to buy Windows 7 if you have Windows 8.1 Pro. Use your downgrade rights: http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=zW_bQpVdgOG

You will still have to find an install disk (or image), but that shouldn't be too difficult. Just make sure that you can find Windows 7 drivers for your system (that shouldn't be too hard either).