• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows XP Home Question

myronb

I know, I know, I should upgrade from home to professional, but I haven't yet!!
Here's the question: In my dialog boxes, in any program, all of the icons are in order of last modified. I can right-click & change it to order by name, but it won't stay that way. In 'my computer' everything is in the right order, but when I open or save anything, I have to jump through hoops to get there. Any gurus have a suggestion?
Thanks!

timmay

Open a folder and get the view the way you want it (View menu - Icon, Details, List, whatever your pref and also do Arrange by however you want.) Once that is done - keep that folder open and go to the Tools menu and select Folder Options. Now click on the View tab and click the button that says Apply to All Folders. This will set all folder on your computer to the settings you just set for that folder.

*Or, you can click the Reset All Folders button instead and take all folder back to the Windows default folder settings for each particular folder.

EDIT - oops - Just re-read your post - this doesn't work the same for dialog boxes. Let me think about this some more....

timmay

Well, you've stumped me. Googled this problem and appears there is no way to change how this defaults!? Hard to believe.

I tested on my system and Word defauts to whatever the last view I chose was. So if I sort by name or modified date - that's what it stays with until I chose another view. But Firefox on the other hand always stays with the List view even if I change it to something else.

Techman

There is absolutely nothing wrong with XP Home. I use it on several of my machines and have no need to goto Pro because I do not use VPN.

yes, there is a way, yes there is a problem with the way XP handles the file lists.

You need to change a setting in the registery to get it back to default. I just do not remember the exact windows hotkey entery. Its been months since I last saw a machine with this problem. SP2 seemed to have this. At least this answer will give you some idea that it can be done.

I posted this answer somewhere as well. Just do not remember where

myronb

I don't have SP2, I had some problems with my computer a few months ago(its a laptop--was over heating sent it off & they cleaned it out & regreased the processor--works fine now) I had backed everything up & re-installed XP, & with what I've heard about problems with SP2, I didn't update to that.

Another interesting problem that I had: After I got everything up and running, I couldn't access our LAN. It said I didn't have permission or something like that. The local computer gurus couldn't figure it out & we ended up manually mapping all the shared drives & folders. They said that was one of the problems with Home Edition. Two or three days later---bingo, everything was fine!! Go figure!

Maybe I should consider getting SP2? Would that make a difference?

timmay

SP2 has fixed more problems for me than it has caused. I'm an IT Manager by day, all of our systems are XP Pro here but I run XP Home on both of my personal systems - it does everything I need to do for home. I'd recommend upgrading to SP2 and get all of your critical updates done. Important to do the updates as problems that were caused by SP2 early on are fixed in later patches. Your problem just may magically go away. :rolleyes:

Techman

XP SP2 was my secret retirement program for a few months. Reversing that "fix" was a real money maker for our place for a while.
But, as time went on the software vendors sent out patches. So, as mentioned above. get your updates BEFORE you goto SP2 or you may be very sorry.

Personally. I do not use SP2. see no need for it.

And finally. The latest update from M$ will be adding in a nag screen if your XP is not perfectly registered. This nag will start you into getting your software registered right and refer you to a site to check if your software is pirated. IT will unerasable. Ther eare those who upgraded their machines and did not re-register. This nag may appear in this case as well.

All of this is a waste of energy for those of us who are legal. The people who like to play with code have already found a way to defeat this nag as well as defeating the windows genuine activation .

Some simply do not wish to have this added code placed onto their machine. Its just bloatware of those of us who have legal XP. Some say,, well its just a litle bit. Yes its just a little bit here and a litttle bit there. before long you have a load of juseless junk.