• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wiper carriage belt problem..HELP?

appstro

I purchased my SP-300 from a slick Roland reseller last year. Its always had a belt that "slips" when ever the wipers get cleaned off as the carriage goes back and forth. If the machine gets regular head cleanings once a week then its minimal but if the machine sets for a few weeks I hear the belt make a nasty sound when it skips.

I tried to get the rolond tech to come out for free and address the issue a few times but he is very flakey....

Is it difficult to replace the belt??? I have already replaced my caps and wiper blades and scraper on my own. How much more difficult could the belt be?? Anyone have experience with this issue? Can you point me in the right direction?
Know any roland service techs in San Diego that arent greedy flakes? lol :)

Trust me... the belt is not an easy thing to get at! The entire wiper station has to be removed to get at the belt!
However, the good thing is that you probably don't need to replace the belt :)
At the front of the wiper station you can see a "winged" brass pensioner that holds a small gear which in turn holds the belt.
If you're careful, you can use a pair of needle nose pliers to bend the pensioner's wings inward toward the wiper station. This will apply more tension to the belt... enough to allow it to function properly.
Also, take a look at the wiper scrapper. It's the little plastic flap that the wipers scrape against. Is it black? If so, you might try a clear one. The clear wiper scrappers are stock for the SPs and are not as ridged as the black ones... which are stock for the XC printers.

Hope this Helps!