• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wireless ethernet ??

kustom.printing

Does anyone run there ethernet (RJ45) from there PC to the printer wireless.

I have a VP540

Just need an idea of if it is possible over a 40ft span.

J Hill Designs

btw it's cheaper to make them yourself than buy one @ a computer store...homedepot has 100' rolls for $35 and the ends are easy to put on - the crimper tool is prob no more than $10

joeshaul

Newegg sells a few 100 ft cables for around $10+shipping (expect around $6). I usually buy the 1000 ft rolls though, but I've spent many hours crimping cables before and quickly learned the standard color schemes and crimping techniques and what to look for before you crimp and make a bad cable. I like my cables to be about to size with a few feet extra, some companies I've worked for have like half the cable rolled up in the ceiling tiles and I think it's just a waste. Making cables is not rocket science, but if you've never done it before, you will probably screw a few up, and sometimes the issues you cause will be intermittent which can be costly when running to a printer of all things.

Also, I would not suggest going Wireless for the printer, as others have said, the signal will drop, and the printer may not expect it which means your job could be dumped midway through, it's essentially the same as unplugging the network cable and plugging it back in real quick and I doubt Roland accounts for that. These print jobs are not small either, so you could also run into speed being a factor as well. Wireless devices/routers/etc also have the joy of needing a restart to fix its issues once a month or so.

iSign

...some companies I've worked for have like half the cable rolled up in the ceiling tiles and I think it's just a waste.

a waste of what? ...$5.00 worth of cable?

Making cables is not rocket science, but if you've never done it before, you will probably screw a few up, and sometimes the issues you cause will be intermittent which can be costly when running to a printer of all things.

all that to avoid wasting $5?

(I'm one of those guys with a half coil behind my printer, another one behind my router, and one behind my design workstation.. bet ya couldn't tell :wink:)

joeshaul

a waste of what? ...$5.00 worth of cable?

all that to avoid wasting $5?

(I'm one of those guys with a half coil behind my printer, another one behind my router, and one behind my design workstation.. bet ya couldn't tell :wink:)

Yeah, it's fairly petty amount that I'm saving, but it's just like how I optimize print jobs to save an extra few feet of material. I do not recommend that this person do this at all, instead I recommend he buy the completed 100 ft cable with crimped ends from Newegg for $16, it'll probably be cheaper to buy 2 or 3 in case he needs to add anything down the line. I was using my experience to help reinforce what could go wrong if they try to make the cable themselves since it was presented. I did mess up many of my first few cables ever, and I didn't realize what I did wrong until I actually used a cable tester to see that wires got switched around when putting the end on, or that I put the end on the opposite way, etc.

I spent many hours redoing cables for my college, offices, and a variety of other places back before I joined the sign industry, so it's nothing for me to make a good cable in a couple of minutes now, but I also realize not everyone has this experience. The problem I had with the cables in the ceiling is those companies paid good money for a "professional installer" that didn't even bother, or more likely didn't even know how to custom crimp the cable. Ignorance or laziness do not exist in my definition of professional. The best one I saw was the 100 ft cable going from the hub to the computer next to the hub. They bothered to run it up the ceiling, back down the ceiling, and shoved the 90'ish ft in the tile above.