• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wireless router thief

gnatt66

gnatt66 what are they smoking down there? Is Julian and Ricky going in and out of there????

the neighbor rarely leaves his house and buy and sells govt auction stuff for a 'living'...thing is they (weird neighbor and smoker kid) just bought a small laser engraver (its in the garage under the art store) and maybe sometime i'll want some stuff done :)

he has 2 chinese scooters sitting in his yard and a subaru that only starts after it's on the charger (which is out in the yard in the snow with an extension cord last i knew, too )..kinda comical..but nowhere near as cool as Julian..haha.

Mosh

the neighbor rarely leaves his house
Do some snooping around...I bet you find J-roc and Bubbles sitting on his couch!
At least a Corey and Trevor hanging around.......

3dsignco

Because so many of these routers that come from Quest or Bresnan have the antenna built right in even if they don't want wireless.

I made the cable company get me a router that had no wireless on it. Once I explained how insecure they were and that I had Customer files on computers they had me a new router in a day.

gnatt66

i should also say that last i checked there were like 6 wireless signals available at my retail counter, and 3-4 of them are unsecured (including mine)...the post office is across the street and a big regional art center is 30 feet from me.

dbenec

Turn off SSID and assign all IP address to your computers cards mac address!

+1

do as signage notes and your network will only be available to you. you only have people on the network because you're broadcasting to everyone like a hot spot.

jdb

Wow, lots of replies. Thanks everyone. I googled and came to the conclusion that the mac address filter will be the safest option for me. For now they are locked out. Now my son is complaining because he can't get online with his ipod touch for updates and pluggins. Still have some tweaking to do.

But.....
My computer is running very quick again now with NO problems. Whatever whoever was doing was really messing with my system, the monitor kept blinking and navigation online actually froze up at times. I was getting requests to share my files, which I denied. It was messed up! None of this is now happening.

Anyway, thanks again for all the replies!

anotherdog

In the setup webpage on all wireless routers is the option to turn the wireless part off.

I was a little concerned about security on our older router, there is hacking software that can crack some of the older protocols. I did a test last year using my laptop and sure enough you can beat older models. (including my five year old linksys).

Routers are so cheap these days and so fast, if it wasn't for the gigabit on my design and print computers I would go entirely wireless.

ok this is funny to me. i remember 'route whatever he calls himself these days' posting a similar problem and getting responses to the contrary from it seems some of the same ppl that are saying not to 'spread the wealth'...

interesting.

for the record i'm not in favor of 'sharing' my service. however, i think the different advice the OP is getting is interesting.