• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wise Guy, eh?!

TheSellOut

I know we all must get the occasional customer or passerby that wants to be the wise guy and says something like "hey, that sign there is a...crooked" I don't know why, I have great confidence in my work, it just makes me cringe and I can't help but respond "No, it's your head...just hold it up straight"

What "Wise Guy" remarks make you laugh or cringe? And what do you say back?!

you spelled that wrong...

do you always spell (insert any town name here) that way? (even though it is spelled correctly)

that's crooked (even though it is level or as straight as can be)

you get paid to do that?

i just give them the 'stare', some people say things that are so dumb that they don't warrant a response.

wildside

my answer to the standard "thats crooked" or "it's spelled wrong" has always been "just making sure your paying attention"

we usually get "hey the phone numbers wrong" with my response of "i know, but your competitor paid me more for his number to be there" and yes it almost always gets a laugh, its all in the presentation

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
after painting a 12in high by about 30ft long stripe on a mall barricade...had one of the "walkers" put a finger on the paint while saying, "it's still wet" ...

MikePro

"It just looks that way because you've got 2 different shoes on!"
Assist with a gesture to their feet, and laugh when they actually look down.

"We cater to dyslexics"
"Its gonna fall down anyways in a couple of days"
and a few others have also been used.

UFB Fabrication

One of the best one I remember was 4 of us were hoisting this huge "Information" sign over the information desk and this lady walked up and asked where the information desk was.

When someone would come up and say that to me I would ask them to hold something or my ladder.

Patrick46

(I stole this story of mine from another thread...)

I drive a VERY decorated 1950 hot-rod panel truck for my shop truck. On one side my company's name has 6 different kinds of gold & silver leaf work on it, and the other has alot of graphics, and a pictorial with my company logo also. And, of course, BOTH sides have things like signs, truck lettering, hand pinstriping, illustration & design on there.

I constantly get people walking up to me and ask me..."who did this work for you???" HUH??????? Are you people high?????? :banghead:

(I'm rather a smartass, and I often tell 'em that there's this kid that lives up the hill from me, and I give him dope money to do this for me!)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
  • Bet you make a lot of money doin' this ??
Nope, bet you wear girls underwear.

• Did you go to school to learn this ??
Nope, do you wear girls underwear ??

• I have a niece that can draw real good... need any help ??
Nope, do you wear girls underwear ??

• Can I pay you next week when my big check clears ??

Nope. BANG !!

Sometimes I don't need to ask the question. :noway:

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Years ago, when someone would ask my wife who is a teacher what her husband did for a living, she said he paints signs. Invariably, someone would add "but what does he do for a living?". Drove her nuts.

jasonx

That looks easy i can install it myself I've done wall paper before.

Customer returns. You gave me bad material because I have alot of wrinkles and bubbles and it didnt turn out like how I saw you doing it in your factory.

signgal

After the hurricanes: Y'all must be gettin' rich! Yep, that's why I'm wearing diamonds and park my Lamborghini in the back... *dry look of death*

We've all heard "great but the phone number's wrong"... well, the fifteenth time I heard that one, she wasn't kidding! ROFL It was wrong! It was a For Rent sign and I used one of my templates from other jobs and neglected to change the number. *face palms*

"It just looks that way because you've got 2 different shoes on!"
Assist with a gesture to their feet, and laugh when they actually look down.

Totally stealing the shoe one! Thanks!

Marlene

yep, every time I do any work where the public can get near me I get all the "funny" people comments...what it has made me do is to NEVER say a stupid thing to anyone I see doing any job.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Many years ago, I was doing a bunch of signs for this restaurant establishment. I called them and told them the signs were finished.

Two guys showed up to pay for the signs and put them into their truck.

Well, the driver got out and he must've been over 7' tall. [He later told me 7'2"]

Naturally I said.... do you play a lot of basketball ??

He said, nope, do you play a lot of miniature golf ?? And I lost it............... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Patrick46

I used to do window spashes at a local furniture store that was right next door to alittle market...that every weirdo in the area must have shopped at. Man, there were some real charactors that came outta that place.

anyways, I was painting my windows, and this clown steps up and asks, real seriously..."whacha doin??"
(duh...paints, brushes, windows.....)

"I'm giving mysef an enema, using a coathanger & a rubber chicken", I replyed.

He leans in and asks..."Where's the rubber chicken??" :doh: :banghead:

(WARNING...I may be posting ALOT on this thread!!!!)