• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wondering how many would be interested...

Jon,

I am very interested, would like firm details before making a final decision. Concept is right and I believe would be helpful to continue to grow our business. Please keep me posted. Thank you.

Fine Line Darrel

signgal

I think how the accountability piece is structured is going to be what makes this thing fly or not. I've read lots of books that by using what I learned in them, would make my business much, much better. The problem is that I don't take the next step. Ultimately, I may be worse off than if I hadn't read it at all because now I feel guilty for having the knowledge to do better but not.

I don't need help finding good books to read, being convinced that the ideas in the books are good ideas, having direct contact with the author, etc. I need help putting the ideas into action amidst the craziness that is the small business owner's life. If the program can guarantee implementation and action, I'm there.

+2 I saw this thread within minutes of you posting it, Jon. I could certainly use this! But let's be completely realistic... I haven't even taken you up on your phenomenal and generous offer of the free consultation. The day-to-day muckety-muck gets overwhelming with the additional personal stuff (sending kids off to college and making ends meet and both of us being tied to the business).

That said, I can see me putting that money into one on one consulting with you before putting it into that site (being honest). I'm an idea person but implementing the ideas is daunting and I just don't have the time or the desire to fill up the little time I do have with research, reading, surfing... whatever. I also have the added challenge of dealing with a skeptical husband for a business partner, who's not one to pay for something hoping it will pan out. His decision making process is a little stunted as well. This is not without reason, of course but just another piece of information for your analysis :)

So in summary LOL I honestly don't see me using this valuable tool, no.

Jon Aston

My fear is that I would be jumping from topic to topic, without anyone checking me, saying "wait - you haven't done what the LAST workbook said to do -why are you moving on?".

That being said, if we are talking about an investment of less than $50/month, I could see this being very beneficial. I would recommend that the site administrators try and build in some type of elective "track builder", what would enable me to build a curriculum of related topics, and NOT LET ME GO OUTSIDE OF THAT unless I authorized it several ways and times.

Of course - not everyone is as ADD as I am...LOL.

Thanks Gary. I like your suggestions. I will raise them, and I know they will be considered. I have no idea if/when they might be implemented.

Jon Aston

I think how the accountability piece is structured is going to be what makes this thing fly or not. I've read lots of books that by using what I learned in them, would make my business much, much better. The problem is that I don't take the next step. Ultimately, I may be worse off than if I hadn't read it at all because now I feel guilty for having the knowledge to do better but not.

I don't need help finding good books to read, being convinced that the ideas in the books are good ideas, having direct contact with the author, etc. I need help putting the ideas into action amidst the craziness that is the small business owner's life. If the program can guarantee implementation and action, I'm there.

Squeegee, thanks for your input.

I will definitely speak to my friend about the "accountability piece" and would love to hear specific suggestions from you, and anyone else who cares to comment...

That said, and with the greatest of respect, I think you should listen to that "guilt" of yours. It's sending you a valuable message. Real accountability can only come from within.

Jon Aston

I agree with both Gary and SqueeGee...

For something like this to work for me - there has to be a very structured path. I don't have time to structure it myself other that maybe set it up originally - otherwise I spend way to much time jumping from thing to thing and then not finishing any of them because I get too busy. I understand the mastermind concept, just not sure how it would work for me and my short lil attention span and be continually beneficial. Like SqueeGee said - I've read the books, know the ideas are good, but I want those to translate into real world strategies that are workable for me... not a theory, but solid courses of action.

That's something I would pay for. Outside of that I'm not sure I could justify the cost/time. While cost is minimal, if I can't pull a benefit from it - then it's an unnecessary expense. And time is the other issue. Do I have TIME to effectively use a resource like this? What I'd like to see is for the benefits to be so good - that I decide I don't have time NOT to use it.

Just my personal opinion for what it's worth :smile:

Stacy J, I always value your opinion. As above, I agree that a structured path would be beneficial and will raise that suggestion with my friend. The workbooks give practical action steps. But, as above, they will only ever be as valuable as your commitment to action. I'm honestly not interested in pursuing this opportunity unless it is as compelling as you describe.

I think one of my next steps will be to try to get anyone interested a "sneak peek". What I would love to do is get a group of you to commit to actually completing a "course" - including taking the action steps in the workbook and sharing your experience and results here, in signs101.com.

Thanks again!

Techman

Very good point.

I subscribe to a few other marketing sources. However, in my experience the two with the most success in helping a bizz to grow have one thing in common. These two are avoiding the boring and mundane details of how and why marketing techniques work.

In addressing the above quote..
Instead, they are providing road maps to follow. One in particular is providing a detailed map to follow for marketing a business. For example. One has the month of September planed out with several marketing strategies that a local business will follow.

So instead of spending hours devising a path for the next few months. The bizz owner just has to look at the planner and pick out what he wants to do. Likewise there are sources for print materials, scripts for those who need terminology, and a monthly business technique. All that plus a master mind group of certain members who already know the micro parts that discusses these plans with the general population. This master mind group provides the tweaks for particular situations and experience levels of the bizz owner.

If this were to come about for the sign makers this would revolutionize the industry. Is there a cost? yes. Is it worth it? Absolutely. If I am worth $100 bux an hour, and they save me 5 hours in one day then it is one of the best things i do.

It looks like Jon has this in mind. If so it would be a just about the best thing that anyone could do.

Jon Aston

+2 I saw this thread within minutes of you posting it, Jon. I could certainly use this! But let's be completely realistic... I haven't even taken you up on your phenomenal and generous offer of the free consultation. The day-to-day muckety-muck gets overwhelming with the additional personal stuff (sending kids off to college and making ends meet and both of us being tied to the business).

That said, I can see me putting that money into one on one consulting with you before putting it into that site (being honest). I'm an idea person but implementing the ideas is daunting and I just don't have the time or the desire to fill up the little time I do have with research, reading, surfing... whatever. I also have the added challenge of dealing with a skeptical husband for a business partner, who's not one to pay for something hoping it will pan out. His decision making process is a little stunted as well. This is not without reason, of course but just another piece of information for your analysis :)

So in summary LOL I honestly don't see me using this valuable tool, no.

Teri, thank you - and it's all good. It's a standing offer,BTW.

Hope you won't mind the suggestion that you and hubs should start by discussing and agreeing to what one change would have the greatest positive impact on your business. If needing more time to work on your business rather than in it would qualify, then agree to make that your single focus (outside of daily operations).

1. Start with analysis. What can you measure?
  2. Agree to a few objectives. Don't try to change the world all at once.
  3. Identify possible strategies for achieving your stated objectives.
  4. Pick the most promising strategies.
  5. Set a few milestones that will let you know when you're making progress toward your objectives.
  6. Try to be wary of and note any assumptions you might be starting out with.
  7. Develop a list of tasks single actions that will each get you incrementally to each milestone and/or will help you test your assumptions.
  8. Commit to a realistic timeline for getting tasks done.
  9. Start with one task. When it's complete, move on to the next.
Hope that helps!

Letterbox Mike

Jon, I read this as thoroughly as time allowed on my lunch hour, but it seems like the majority of any of my own thoughts or questions have already been up and addressed in the above posts. I'll just throw out a enthusiastic YES this is much needed, and to the right person, has enormous value.

Let me preface what I'm about to say by saying Signs 101 is a great site. It does however, leave a lot to be desired in the way of business management. I understand that is not it's primary focus or reason so I hope nobody, particularly Fred, takes offense to that. It's just not a business-management oriented site. Rightfully so, too, the audience for people specifically interested in that is limited compared to the audience for people wanting info on printers or mounting techniques or other sign-specific nuts and bolts information or discussions. I don't really understand why that is, we're all here to take our business from point A to point B, but it is what it is. So I think your audience will be limited to a small handful of people who are truly passionate and eager to dive deeper and deeper into the business end of the industry.

The upside to having a somewhat limited group, and a group that paid money to be there, is the information, discussion, willingness to both open your mind to learn new things and willingness to help others, "should" be exponentially greater than what you'd find on a typical discussion board.

I think it's a great idea and I really hope it makes it to fruition, I'll be one of the first to jump on board.

HI Jon, i find some of the responses very interesting. One of the 'trends' that i am witnessing in the sign industry is sign companies trying to repackage themselves as either ad agencies or marketing professionals. With the later (sign companies trying to present themselves as marketing professionals) what concerns me about a group like this is all of the people who then have been given a set of instructions, a strategy, but they have no idea why it works, they don't understand the psychology behind it all they are doing is following a plan someone else has outlined...i see this day in and day out with these sign companies that are presenting themselves as marketing gurus and literally presenting customers with plans from the book of the week. Myself I think it is very important to understand the 'how' and the 'why'.

I understand that part of the equation can be boring to some people and many people dont want to invest the time when a plan is laid out for them but myself i think it is a very important part of the equation.

The other thing that I notice in regards to my sign company customers is that they have a very short attention plan for general strategies, general books, etc..they want it customized for our industry.

Letterbox Mike

Good points Dan, especially about the sign companies turned marketing agencies. I've noticed that trend lately. Not everybody can be the next Dan Antonelli. Signs are in the same universe as marketing, but that's where the similarity ends, but it never ceases to amaze me how many people push "marketing services" that have absolutely no idea what they're doing or why they're doing it. Scary really. I'm sure the real marketing agencies love it too...

iSign

...the audience for people specifically interested in that is limited compared to the audience for people wanting info on printers or mounting techniques or other sign-specific nuts and bolts information or discussions. I don't really understand why that is, we're all here to take our business from point A to point B, but it is what it is.

I think it goes back to an observation Michael Gerber makes in his E-Myth publications.
Many small business owners find themselves in the role of business owner with only the background of being what he calls "a technician" meaning someone who has become quite proficient (perhaps through prior employment) in sign making for example, yet has had absolutely no experience or education in business skills...

...so we may all want to take our business from point A to point B.. but some folks may define "point B" quite differently then others... or even more importantly, some people may have dramatically different ideas about the path between the two.

I guess part of what I'm saying is many business owners want to make more money, but also, many of them only know how to produce a product & actually have no desire to learn how to market it... which is fine if you work for a sign shop, especially one with with a marketing savvy employer... but not so good if you are a technician, who bought himself a job & now finds himself as an under qualified small business owner, in a down economy, wishing things were different, with absolutely no idea how to have any impact on manifesting his wishes.

FrankenSigns.biz

I am the quintessential propellerhead. I am not a salesman. That's why I hired one. I'm a pretty good designer and that's what I prefer to spend my time doing. So, I need all the help I can get reeling in new business. Jon, count me in.

Letterbox Mike

Doug, I think you hit the nail on the head. To take it a bit further, I believe ego plays a part in this as well. Most of the people who are the "technician" types started a business so they could be that technician under their own free will, regardless of if they can actually run that business. I've seen a lot of technician types fall into the trap of believing that since they're good at what they make, business will either land in their lap or it automatically makes them good business people, so why would they waste their time seeking out help with the business end? At one point in time or another, I'd bet all of us have fallen into that trap at least once. I'll admit I did back in the day. It's a recipe for failure. It doesn't matter if you're the worlds greatest sign maker, without some business sense you are doomed.

Jon Aston

Hello all.

Just a quick note to let anyone interested know that this project is proceeding. I will have more clarity and news to share in the next few weeks.

Once again, thanks to everyone who participated in this discussion. Greatly appreciated!

signswi

What's the elevator pitch? What can this service give me that I can't get on my own already? We're in the age of massive, free social curation of content, what does this service provide that active networking can't? Or is this targeted at people who aren't great at new media tools...?