• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Work burnout

Goatshaver

I'm going on my second year in the vinyl printing business with things only getting busier. Which is great, however I'm finding myself getting completely burnt out mentally and somewhat physically. I find I can't say no to a job, I've been working 7 days a week 10-11hr days average for the last 3-4months.

I'm finding people don't give ample time for projects when they need something. I feel stuck....like if I turn anyone away or say no it'll reflect on me being a terrible business owner, so I keep telling myself just get it done and then break, but the break never ends up coming.

I figured running my own business would be great and I can make my own schedule. Not the case...I'm so intent on making each customer happy I never give myself the time to make myself happy.

How do you deal with running your own business? especially if you are your only employee.

Sorry for the rant.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
This is one of the many great hurdles you have to cross (or figure out) as a business owner. These hurdles keep the weak willed at bay and leave more room at the top when you get there.

That being said, you have to say no. You just have to learn how to say it. It's powerful once you learn how. You might be surprised at the amount of work you can keep working 10hr days, 5 days a week.

That, or hire someone to help. (This will flat out suck for a while until you find the right person.)

Or, you can and should raise your prices. It's ok to have a day here and there where there isn't much work to do. This tells you your pricing is in line with the market. Running at 110% capacity all the time means you're selling your stuff too cheap.

Good luck. I have personally been there. We worked many years, 70hr weeks at less than minimum wage to get where we are today.

signage

sound like you may need to raise prices. If every job you bid get accepted then your prices might be too low!

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
Since everything you said needs to be done yesterday, are you charging a rush fee at all? I was personally surprised when my old company started charging $50 for rush jobs, and how many of those same people were suddenly much more ok with a longer turn time.

Baz

When you think about production days. Meaning "How fast can i get this done for you". Never include Saturdays and Sundays.

I personally do work Saturday afternoons and do my invoicing on Sundays but no one besides me needs to know that.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Some good advice here. Manage your clients and their expectations. Start tacking on a day or two for your promised completion date, and as Adam said - charge a rush fee if they need it faster than that, or yesterday.

Baz

The ones that "need it yesterday" are usually the ones that don't show up on time to pick up their stuff!
Been doing this for to many years to be bothered with that deadline.

CanuckSigns

start letting clients know that moving forward your standard lead time for this type of project is xx number of days, anything that is needed before that time will either be refused or charged a rush fee.

It's amazing how many clients who are adamant that their project needs to be completed by a certain day, will change their tune as soon as they hear about a rush fee.

Clients will push and push as much as they can on both price and timelines, you need to stand firm. If I'm able to get a job done ahead of schedule, I will usually wait to tell the client it's ready or else they will expect that turnaround next time, no good deed goes unpunished.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya hafta be brutally honest with yourself.

Is your work that good that everyone's coming to you with all kindsa deadlines or are ya just cheap and convenient ??

If you raise your prices, you'll certainly lighten your workload and not hafta work as much to make the same amount of money. Less hours and more free time....... Hmmmmm

Think about it.......... do a customer's truck for $250. It takes 2 hours and some materials. Or do one truck, put some good time into and get $1,250. for it. Maybe that one will take 3 or 4 hours, but you only hafta do one a day compared to 5 a day using your pricing method(s).

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I feel your pain and have been there, still am sometimes. Here is my random advice
Give delivery windows, not dates in order to have wiggle room. i.e. it will be done in 1-2 weeks
Tell clients that you are busy and ask them point blank, when do you actually need this.
Respect your own time if you want clients to do the same in return.
Sometimes just say fuck it and take the time off. Your customers enjoy their weekends and aren't going to drop their plans to do something for you.
Keep going after new customers too so that you can continually turn over the bad ones
If you work past 5 or on the weekend do it on your terms. If it is to get a rush order done, charge for it and see how quickly it becomes less important for the customer.
Don't try to be the hero for your customer because they failed to plan.
Realize that it's just not as simple for one of your customers to leave you, find someone else and get what they want.
Remember that people are lazy and aren't going to put much effort into looking for another vendor. Remember that when you lay the ground rules and set your pricing.

E Coloney

I've found it's amazing how people don't need a job so quickly if you charge them a fee for the rush. Poor planning on their part doesn't mean an emergency on your part. Charging a considerable fee for 'rush' jobs will filter out the "tire kickers" from those who are sincere and it does two things for you: 1) helps to make a buck, 2) preserves your sanity.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Great advice! I've had the same problem and sometimes still do. I'm one person also. The last month I've been slammed. However, to manage this I put the higher paying jobs and better customers on the top of the list - they get priority. The big jobs always come first, the small jobs (personal decals, etc.) I fit in where I can.

There are no signs that are emergencies. You aren't saving lives, you are making signs. YOU decide what jobs are emergencies. I tell people when they come in that I'm scheduling vehicles 3 weeks out. You can tell real quickly how badly they need it. Of course I can squeeze certain jobs in and absolutely do - but being upfront weeds out the people who just want things done vs. those that genuinely need it. I always prioritize small business - vehicles, signs are next, apparel last.

Their lack of planning is not your emergency. It's hard to get that in your head but you will. Sometimes I'm greedy too and certain jobs are good money makers so overtime is worth it for some of them LOL

And ditch a lot of those little jobs! Joe wants 3 stickers for his truck, Cindy wants these stripes she found on line but in the same colors that match her horses mane...screw those jobs. You waste A LOT of time of that stuff!

jimbug72

Great advice above. You'll be surprised how much extra waiting time your clients will find that they have, once they have to pay a rush a fee or "take it somewhere else."

gnubler

I feel your pain, too. Trying to deal with the double whammy of not only running a business for the first time (and doing it alone) plus learning the trade. The accounts and equipment were dumped on me at the end of last year, like a 'use it or lose it' opportunity. No time for a business plan, training, renovating an ideal work space, etc. Started with virtually $0 in the bank, by the third month was in the black, so I'm making money. Like you I'm running 10-12 hour days, sometimes there is crying and there's a box of booze stashed in my office for those late nights.

I had a customer make a comment that "if you can survive the first year, then you're good". Also hard for me to say no, I want the experience to learn. Lots of mistakes, do it wrong once and then never again. Find out what you're good at and not. Take Sundays off. Like another member posted...they're only signs. They can wait. I've gotten back into leaving Sundays as "do nothing" days, walking at the lake or reading a book in bed. Mental health and downtime is important.

IsItFasst

The way I look at it (if the numbers support it) charge double what you normally charge. You may lose half the jobs but you are getting the same amount of money for half the work and material. Sounds crazy but this has worked for me for the last 20 years; by charging what is worth my time vs what others charge for the same thing. I see the same stuff I sell being sold on eBay for 10% of what I sell the same thing for. Could I do it for that 10% cost (possibly) but I'd be doing 10x the work and using 10x the material to make the same amount. Charge what your time is worth to you. If you are worth it, customers will pay it as many just want a "go to" they are happy with and don't price shop.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
When you think about production days. Meaning "How fast can i get this done for you". Never include Saturdays and Sundays.

I personally do work Saturday afternoons and do my invoicing on Sundays but no one besides me needs to know that.

Too late. Your secret is out on facebook now. lol

Baz

Old customers know me ... They know i work on Saturdays.
Any time one of them tries to tell me "you can work on it Saturday" my answer is:
Yeah ... I am working ... But not on your stuff.

End of discussion. :noway:

Don't be afraid to tell it like it is.

signage

Come on Baz tell the truth you tell them yes I am working Saturday and if you want me to work on you stuff it will be 3 times the cost upfront!

Baz

Trouble with that is ... Even though it's x3 times the money. Then i am obligated to deliver.
That just takes the fun out of the day. It's not why i work Saturdays.
I like a quiet afternoon, radio on, working on special projects. Whether for business or for family.
No telephone or emails to answer.

Goatshaver

Thanks for all the great feedback! Looks like I'll have to try pushing back delivery dates and raising prices slightly. A lot of my customers don't plan for it and get stuff on a semi-weekly basis which leaves me with little time to squeeze them in if I'm already full. I'd say my price could go up a bit and that will probably help.
I get a lot of business because people like that I'm local and can usually turn jobs around quickly and they can actually talk to me and meet me rather than going online.