• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Working procedure requirements

Locals Find!

The law Gino is referring to says an employee must receive two 15 minute breaks and 1 - 30 minute uninterrupted lunch break per 8 hour shift.

Traditionally its given one in the morning and one in the afternoon however, its not specified when they are to be given just that they are to be given.

zuluXtreme

Been doing this a long time...

I'm a 3rd generation sign maker, starting way back when all we had were brushes and paint... Things have come a long way to the point where we have a shop which employees 32 people... We have 3 dedicated applicators (vehicle wrapping, digital and vinyl lettering application)... Having done the work myself I feel that standing is by far the more productive method, especially when it comes to weeding really large panels. But having said that I think each task is unique and the employee doing the task should be able to exercise common sense and determine which method (sitting or standing) is the more productive method. Then again I have had staff that love to lay on the job, elbows on the table, the works... I have a problem with that because I can very quickly get my head applicator and within a very short space of time prove which method is the more productive one. Admittedly there are days folks are not on top form but I would prefer that not to be the norm. End of the day let's get on with the job at hand, I'm not into dealing with lazy staff with a million reasons why they cannot be more productive... It always amazes me how the laziest folk have the most amazing excuses. I trust my staff to make the right call, I do not agree that chairs/stools/etc. should be removed from the workplace.

Marlene

Recently, our newly appointed supervisor decided to make strange demands of the employees in our sign shop. We think he is going a bit too far in his requirements, but I'd like to get an opinion to see if those demands are in fact way out in left field.

He has made several rounds through the shop and noticed the employees sitting to weed vinyl. He feels it is unproductive, so he has told the manager to remove all the desks and chairs from the shop. No one will be sitting to weed any longer.

seems like the supervisor needs to find some real issues to deal with instead of making them up and "fixing" what isn't broke. treating employees like prisoners is not a good way to run a shop. people who are allowed to sit when they want to and stand when they want to are doing so for their own comfort. when people are comfortable they are more productive, plain and simple.

phototec

Cell Phones?

What's wrong with you guys, of course the employees need to sit down, that way they can chit-chat (make personal calls) on their cell phones while they are weeding, what's wrong with that?

As long as they are doing the work, who cares if they sit in a chair, talk on their cell phone, pick their nose or scratch their a$$....

:ROFLMAO: