• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Working something out?

danno

I will tell the customer that I will be in that area on a specific day and group that visit with another call or when I know I am passing through that area. I run a wide area and would probably be close to there within a couple days. I always have a tape measure, camera, notepad in the truck.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Since we now live in a digital world, I take every advantage of it.

I pre-qualify my customers by having them email several photos of their potential project. And since almost everybody has a printer, I ask them to
tape a piece of printer paper (8-1/2" x 11") on the substrate (when possible) and take a few more photos to help give me a size reference. If they can't tape a piece of paper, I ask them for rough measurements.

I know it's not close enough for production work, but it's usually sufficient for a "yes or no" answer or a high ball-park estimate.

JB

Jean Shimp

The real kicker is when you do decide to take a chance and go to the site for free and then the next thing they want is a sketch for free! Now, you're realizing you can be wasting double time if you give them a free sketch and they don't buy the sign. I've made this mistake too many times. I've lost several possible jobs this year because I won't do free site surveys (unless it's for a regular client). That's OK, though. I can spend my time being productive instead of chasing dead ends. When business was dead slow last year we "caved in" on a few occasions - they all were a waste of time! It's hard to stick to your policies when fear creeps in. I'm working on it though.

2B

Since we now live in a digital world, I take every advantage of it.

JB

+1 EVERYONE has a camera phone, have them take a picture of the area it is going and close up of the exact location with a known size item (ruler, piece of paper, roll of paper towels, etc...)

the other helpful tool is Google earth, with street view.

with these 2 options you can get a fairly accurate quote. if you are the winning bid then you move into doing an onsite survey for the exact specs needed.

Jane Diaz

Jean, we totally agree. Give 'em an inch and they take a mile. :Big Laugh
We have been at it 30+ years and learned most of our lessons the hard way. Besides that, I sort of have radar now for jobs that are going somewhere and those that are fishing expeditions. I was real nice about it. The other part is, I would like them to come HERE and see us and see the materials, past work, our shop, etc. If they can't be bothered, neither can I.

Z SIGNS

Totally agree with Jean and Jane.

Going through something similar to this right now.

Customer contacted us through a referral about a potentially big project.
I went out on limb and did some quick rough sketches with some pricing just to get something on the table.

Customer replies with the usual "can I see it in a different color,what about different shape etc"

I get him on the phone and explain that these were just rough sketches and It's best if we meet at my office to discuss the project.

Customer says NO WAY I don't have time for that.

Well if he doesn't have the time neither do I.
I don't care if it's a $15,000 job.

What other professionals could you call on to come out and solve your problem for free ?

I'll find something else to do with with my time.It's time to re organize that production room.

Jane Diaz

You know really it's all about respect. If they don't respect you enough to see that you don't have time to take at least an hour out of your day to run to them and "look at their idea", I can see this is going nowhere fast. I wouldn't think of asking him to come to me to look at his flower arrangement for an event. Why should I be expected to do that? Especailly after I explained that my materials, computer, samples, etc. are all here. :banghead:
NEXT!

Z SIGNS

A lot of people will contact a sign company asking how much for this or that like it's a normal commodity.

But what they really need is a solution to their signage/image problem.

Just like someone looking to buy a drill and drill bits.
It's not the drill and bits they really need they need holes.

I have no time or tolerance for this.

God invented the plotter and printer and put it in the hands of the inexperienced
to satisfy this kind of customer.

signage

God didn't invent the plotter and printer! God gave some the knowledge and talent to use them to create appropiate and pleasant looking signs!

He gave other no common sense and rudeness!

Z SIGNS

God didn't invent the plotter and printer! God gave some the knowledge and talent to use them to create appropiate and pleasant looking signs!

He gave other no common sense and rudeness!

I stand corrected sir.

There is truth in what you say.

CanuckSigns

I used to get annoyed by this, however you have to look at it through the eyes of a client, they don't know that you don't do free site visits, nor should they. In their eyes it's similar to hiring a contractor to build them a deck or something. Most contractors will come to your home,look over your project, offer opinions and create a rough design all for free. I'm not saying it's right, but it's what is now expected.

you can't fault the client for not knowing the SOP inour industry, we are in a niche industry that most people never deal with, or deal with very infrequently.

Jane Diaz

That may be true Watson Sign but I nicely told them that we don't do that. Now if they really ARE interested, they will call us or stop by, not e-mail us through the website. I want to do business with them but not if they don't respect what we do or want us to jump through hoops just to get their work. We have plenty of appreciative customers who are great and we take care of them to the max.:smile:

Pat Whatley

Fifteen minute drive to bid on a large project? Absolutely.

Two minute walk down the street to bid on door lettering? Not gonna happen.

I've spend 3-4 hours just trying to chase down the name and number of the person I need to talk to about bidding a large project. I can dang sure break off an hour for somebody dropping one in my lap. Sure, a lot of times it's a big waste of time but the jobs it pays off on make up for it.