• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Would any judge convict me?

trakers

<rant>
So for like the hundredth time (it seems like anyway) I had a person come looking for some sign material “remnants”. He explained he was looking for a 3’x4’ remnant that he could have.

I explained that when we cut off a portion of a $50 piece of substrate that the “off fall” does not automatically lose all value and become worthless, and thus, while we don’t have any “remnants” or “scrap” we do however have material “off fall” that we can sell for a discount off the regular cost. The price varies by the material size.

He argued, of course, at which point he wasn’t getting any material at any cost. I considered just punching him in the nose and wonder if any judge would convict me??

The issue is not the material; it is the sense of entitlement that people seem to have these days. Had he came in, ask nicely if I had any left over material he could purchase at a discount, I would most likely just have given it to him.
</rant>

ddarlak

Go Bills!
next time someone asks if they can "just have" something, tell them sure as long as i can "just have" your pinky finger....then pull out a knife and say "you really don't need it".....

PRS Bryan

A 3'x4' piece is not a remnant or scrap, it is half of a sheet.

I will sell substrates by the square foot regardless of if I have a use for it or not. I sell it for around 200% of what I pay for it, so half a sheet of $50 material will cost them $50.

I don't feel obligated to give them any reason or rationale to argue with. You don't like it go somewhere else, I am not a retail substrate business.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
People don't look at something like this from your perspective ... only theirs. I always got a kick out of customers who watched a line of copy being weeded and then asked if the weed could be saved so they could get a second sign for free.

I can remember thinking back in the days before I got into this line of work that a sign painter was just a guy with good handwriting. The idea that it was a hard learned skill never occurred to me.

danno

The first hand painter I watch do a job was Paul Pierce. I took him 2 days to hand letter a van. This was back in the 70's. I learned at that point it's not as easy as it looks.

Marlene

tell them scrap for you is anything less than 4 square inches or less other wise it is stock at full price. they can whine all they want, who cares

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Next time ask him if he has any remnants from a hundred dollar bill or two he'd be willing to trade for your scrap.

wayne k
guam usa

Feel the exact same way. Had very similiar issue before and just told the customer we didn't have anything. Maybe a week later a different person is asking the same thing but she asked if she could purchase any scrap pieces. I went and picked up a pile and handed it to her. For the price it's not even worth the paperwork. But if your going to be an a$$ about it I am not going to help you.

threeputt

We don't seem to have this "problem". We will sell materials (although it's sometimes hard to see this as anything but an interuption of our work) at an appropriate markup.

Regarding getting your blood pressure all worked up, h*ll no! Not worth it. Simply tell such a client as yours that when (scrap) materials have no value, they are discarded out back. They can check the dumpsters if they like.

Everything else is for sale. (although that having been said, we don't make a point of trying to sell substrates or vinyl).

Techman

many folks are into recycling. I would imagine those types of people asking for scraps are trying to use up good stuff.
I recycle pieces of baltic birch plywood from a local laser cutter. He is glad someone will haul it off so he get to save cash on his trash fees. The scraps are big enough for me to make cabinets.

Lots of people are into this dumpster diving as a way to use up scraps of material that are perfectly fine.
Likewise, people asked me for scrap vinyl and I usually just handed over the scrap box. Glad to see it go.

And now I have scrap wood in a barrel that a guy collects for heating his shed. Glad to see it go.

But a 3x4 piece of vinyl is a little more than scrap. That is unless there is a pile of it laying in a box unused.