• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Would you like some dessert with that sign?

GypsyGraphics

Today I had about an hour to turn out a A-Frame sign and take it to UPS for overnight shipping, all I had to do was mount the two prints… no problem.
Since the graphics are being mounted directly onto the Signacade A-Frame, it’s suppose to be hit with a flame before mounting the graphic. I don’t have a torch, just a heat gun. I want a torch, I REALLY do, but when burnt my arm pretty bad with a heat gun, my husband said “no torch for you.”

So today with little time to spare, my heat gun dies. This would have been the perfect time to go buy myself a dreamy little torch… but I’m so short on time and I know I have a spare heat gun somewhere. I’m wasting time looking for the spare heat gun when it occurs to me that I DO HAVE A TORCH!!!

Gosh, while I have it out anyway, may as well make some crème brûlée.

attachment.php

Attachments

• sign-dessert.jpg
    sign-dessert.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 151
Last edited by a moderator:

John Butto

panels

I always use a 2x3 pieces of styrene or 3mm pvc for mounting graphics on for both sides. Either use VHB tape or small screws to hold them on the the Signcade A frames. Then you can save that for the flambe'.

rwinninger

I spray denatured alcohol on the panels and light it which burns off the coating and the vinyl sticks fine.

WrapperX

Gotta have the torch. Heat guns work to slowly...you get a much quicker burst, and once you're comfortable with it, I think, a more controlled heat sorce with the torch. I'll only use a heat gun for post heating.

jc1cell

Nice torch! We just use the plumbers type

Recently got acquainted with one of these. Took a bit of getting used to compared to the heat gun but boy does it work much faster. Have the one with the holster for the tank. LOVE IT!!!

jc

WrapperX

Gotta love that we love our tools. Our spouses and significant others just don't understand why we love them (our tools) soo.

Like any sign geek, I get all excited about new tools and tricks. So I feel ya GG on the excitiment about being able to use the torch. Just don't hurt yourself with it :thumb:

GypsyGraphics

that dessert torch was no fun, you can't even see the flame and the darn button must only be meant to be on in short spurts... hard to hold down for any length of time. guess their not meant to caramelized such a large dessert. and i hated wearing that tall white hat in the shop!

I spray denatured alcohol on the panels and light it which burns off the coating and the vinyl sticks fine.
i've never had any problem with a large graphic either, but letters always have to either go on a substrate of a full sheet of vinyl first.

GG..please tell me you just got that cutting matt..it looks so clean..I got get me a new one. MT ..niiiiceeee :thumb:
i do keep it clean but i'm also not lucky enough to be working on it everyday. i'd love to wear the thing out!

Gotta love that we love our tools. Our spouses and significant others just don't understand why we love them (our tools) soo.

Like any sign geek, I get all excited about new tools and tricks. So I feel ya GG on the excitiment about being able to use the torch. Just don't hurt yourself with it :thumb:
Hubby's out of town... so i'm sneaking off to buy a big boy torch before he gets back.... bed bath & beyond won't have what i'm looking for this time!

gregger2k

A heat gun will not have the same effect as a torch. The frame oxidizes the surface and lowers the surface energy of the material so it is easier to adhere to. The flame method is how they treat some polyethylene materials to accept printing, otherwise the ink will not stick. A plasma arc can also also be used if you happen to have one lying around:munchie:

Try the water bead test after a heat gun treatment then after a flame treatment, you will see the difference!

Greg

Colin

On a related note, decals won't stick to the plastic that is used on the "Plasticade" Sidewalk signs and SimpoSigns II. Is there a little trick to get them to stick?

gregger2k

Have you tried the flame treatment described for Plasticade?

Do a search on "Plasticade" and "flame" and there are several sites with the instructions in a pdf. Remember it is the flame plasma that modifies the plastic surface not the heat. I have bonded polyethylene to steel with polyurethane adhesive with good strength when without the flame treatment it would peel right off.

A little 3M primer 94 sometimes helps.

Greg

WrapperX

I just wonder why you have treat that surface with flame/heat?? It's a total PITA to have to do that when most every other surface you recieve from suppliers is RTA. Is it something in the process or molding of the plastics?

I can rememeber the first time I tried to apply to one of those darned things and I was sooo frusterated by the end of the day that i ended up attaching velcro to the corners and applied to a piece of coro. It wasn't until a few days later (the boss had opened the package and brought the signacade back) that I came across the "instructions" for installation that I realized what I was SUPPOSED to have done. Very annoying

GypsyGraphics

haven't made it out to buy my torch yet.... anything i should know before i buy? will i find what i need at home depot or should i be looking at a sign supply place?

i'm getting the impression that some of you don't get that that's a chef's torch in the photo and not some chick size girlie torch. i want a big boy torch, with a big flame... one that can do lots of damage! woo hoo

hurry... tell me what to buy before my husband gets home!

GB2

Old Member
You want to get either a Bernz O Matic:

BZ8250HT Trigger-Start Hose Torch
This is a good unit if you want to clip the tank on your belt and use the torch on the end of a 5' hose. Good for working on wraps for example and has a trigger start.

or

TS4000 Trigger-Start Torch
This is a good trigger start torch mounted in the standard configuration with the torch head on the tank.

iSign

You want to get either a Bernz O Matic:

BZ8250HT Trigger-Start Hose Torch
This is a good unit if you want to clip the tank on your belt and use the torch on the end of a 5' hose. Good for working on wraps for example and has a trigger start.

COOL!
(I mean Hot!)