• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Would you panel this?

TheSnowman

Oh you must be Kraigs clone.Interesting. Very very interesting

Settle down Beavis...I'm not using perf because of the reason mentioned. This is basically a storage area for freezers and other restaurant supplies that's connected through a hole in the wall to the restaurant on the other street. It's got ugly blinds there now, and she doesn't want people seeing in.

fmg

Settle down Beavis...I'm not using perf because of the reason mentioned. This is basically a storage area for freezers and other restaurant supplies that's connected through a hole in the wall to the restaurant on the other street. It's got ugly blinds there now, and she doesn't want people seeing in.
Some nice subtle window frosted etch film preferably Oracal 8510 silver would look very sharp on the window rather than the image you have provided.Food enlarged is a NO NO in my opinion it never looks nice on any type of applied graphic film.

MikePro

+1 seamless. you'll double your install time trying to align two large tiles, as opposed to just slapping up one-piece.

get yourself a "BodyGuard Knife" from YelloTools. I used to do this by tearing-out the backing paper, but the knife makes it much easier to just slit-out a vertical 4-6" strip from the backing and have two people hold the corners aligned on the window and apply the center strip. You've now got yourself a "book-hinge" and easily finish the graphic in two halves.

+1 to a frosted vinyl graphic being the cat's meow for full window coverage. The images are softened by the transparency and most of the frosted films are opaque enough to block out anything on the other-side of the glass.

O, and I would check with the city/town if you're even allowed to be blocking-out the window. Most municipalities will only allow tinting up to a certain % and require a certain % of visibility from the outside-in. Easiest way to have a client refuse to pay, is when they're being cited by the city for unapproved graphics like these.

a77

get yourself a "BodyGuard Knife" from YelloTools. I used to do this by tearing-out the backing paper, but the knife makes it much easier to just slit-out a vertical 4-6" strip from the backing and have two people hold the corners aligned on the window and apply the center strip. You've now got yourself a "book-hinge" and easily finish the graphic in two halves.

thank you! this is exactly the type of tool i have been looking for

fmg

What happened to that little slitter thing that Signs by Dale was introducing.It was a similar device at a fraction of the cost I believe?

SIGNTIME

i would do it one piece with air release center hinge as others have said i would also mask it and and back slit every 18" or so if you have a tool that can do that... this is mine i use it alot and really like.

Attachments

• slitter.jpg
    slitter.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 69
  • slitter 2.jpg
    slitter 2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 75

TheSnowman

I have it all printed, and it looks awesome, so I'm not real worried about that. As far as windows go, we don't have to have any kind of permits in town to do windows, so not an issue.

I was looking at this, but I think it makes more sense to do the "book hinge" like Mike was saying. Just gotta con two people into coming and helping me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWGG3nRy1cw

I'd never really thought about a window squeegee, but I suppose if I wrapped it in felt or something, it'd be just as good, and way quicker and easier to not get any air trapped in there since I'd be moving such big passes.

TheSnowman

And it looks like that BodyGuardKnife is out of stock...this blows. That looks like the perfect tool.

Nevermind, online says they're out, but if you call they have them. Pretty slick looking tool to have around.

Jackpine

Good information.
I personally just pre-cut my center hinge with a ruler/olfa. Once you cut the liner on the same material a couple of times (or hundred lol) you know just how much weight to put on it. Cut yourself 2 lines so you now have a strip you can remove. Align the whole thing where you want it on the window (another person does help to hold the other end) then peel back your strip and tack that. Now you have (2) workable sections to apply. :thumb:

MR. Graphics

Installing on any window that is inset is a challenge. I wouldn't install it alone, but since you are; and if you do not have a backing paper slitter, where you can take a 1-2 inch strip out of the back,
I would use a couple pieces of double sided tape to hold the graphic while you start the other end. Once you get the graphic started vertical or horizontally remove the doublesided tape. I have used double sided banner hem tape. Good luck.

striper14

so how much do they charge you for that bodyguardknife in the US ? here in Oz the distributor wants $60 which is too much for someone who loses things like i do ..lol

Jillbeans

However you install it
(I am no one to give install advice, I would have to panel it as I am 61 inches tall haha)
make sure you leave about a half-inch border all the way around it.
Don't run it right to the edges of the glass.
You don't want to pay to replace that large of a window if the graphic causes the glass to crack.
Love....jill

TheSnowman

I bought me that tool from YelloTools, and got a couple friends to help me install it. That remove the center and do a "book hinge" method was awesome. We had it done in about 5 minutes. I went and bought a 12" window squeegee and put some glass tape (or something like it, I'm not sure what this stuff I had in the drawer was) on the rubber squeegee part, and it just went awesome.

I'm glad it only took a short amount of time, because I decided to dodge in between storms to get the job done this week. It POURED for about an hour soon as we walked away.

I'd recommend that cutter tool to anyone. That's good stuff.

TheSnowman

so how much do they charge you for that bodyguardknife in the US?

I paid $34.94 from the YelloTools company itself in California. Took me a week basically to get it, but was totally worth it. That'll make lots of big jobs simple being able to do a clean start in the middle of the graphic.

And yes Jill, I left about 1" all the way around the window, so we should be good to go.

ericmitchell29

I did this wrap with a center hinge, by myself. Get it lined up... tape it up... center hinge it.. peel it back and go.

Attachments

• signs.jpg
    signs.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 64