Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow, Check out this estimate

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by jman, Mar 13, 2019.

1. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Central Coast California
    $22.00 per square foot for a sign on a substrate that costs you less than $2.00 per square foot?

What kind of media are you using on this stuff? Even IJ180 is less than $3 per square even with laminate included. A 4x+ markup is pretty high.

2. FireSprint

FireSprint Merchant Member

We would be pretty close to that with a direct print UV ink with a gloss coating. Wholesale to the trade though, which is a big difference. We wouldn't do any design and would suggest our customer marks it up 2-2.5x.

• Like Like x 1
  3. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    $715 for a 3mm 4x8? That's your price but have you ever sold one? I feel like I'm doing something wrong here...….

• Like Like x 3
  4. equippaint

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Why cast on cheap material? It's ACM. Not arguing with you, I agree with what you said. We have 5 year+ red calendared 651 on cranes in south florida that look fine. There's a few posts saying it wont be cast but in all honesty, why should it be? Its a cheap substrate for a budget sign. If you sell it as something else and think cast makes it better then maybe you should reevaluate rather than criticize the competitors. It's just my opinion and you know how the saying goes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. dukebrown

dukebrown If they let me make it, they will come

Sep 19, 2011
    rosenberg,tx
    I separate out my design and sign price always, but a 5x10ft with calendared vinyl for 2 color non complex design we could do $600 each, material cost for us $160.

6. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    EXACTLY!

JB

7. asd

asd Member

Aug 13, 2007
    colorado
    I do sell my 4x8 for 704.00 plus taxes, becuase that is what the markets dictates in my area. the cost of living in co is very high average cost of rent per sq ft is 20.00 entry level employee is 15.00/hr so yes this guy is giving signs away at that price.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TXFB.INS

TXFB.INS Very Active Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Lone Star State
    Here is another example of a LOW price.

Was sent this image and was told that they would only paid $25 for design, product and installation......

Even if it was done in low grade calendar vinyl, way too cheap

Attached Files:

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  9. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Member

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    That was $25 too much with that design...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. equippaint

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Sooo a 1000 sq/ft apartment is $20k/mo? Where do the people that make $100/hr live? We cant get much of anything for $15/hr and were in the low rent district. Not sure whats so different in co than anywhere else really. Are prices double at mcdonalds?

11. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    He could be in Aspen, CO, but I have never seen a sign shop there and not to much call for 4x8 signage as I could see.
    Maybe space available sign in window next to the Fendi store. Rent is high out there. Not a bustling metropolis area.
    They do have McDonalds.

12. rossmosh

rossmosh Active Member

Oct 9, 2014
    New Jersey
    Do you really not understand the difference between HCOL and LCOL areas and the impact on prices? It's not just one thing. It's hundreds of things. Higher taxes, higher food costs, higher rent prices, higher gas costs, higher insurance costs, and plenty more. You add it up and it means you need to make $60k a year to live a decent life vs $40k a year somewhere else.

Also, rent per square foot is typically based on the year, not the month....

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    I checked a couple places online, and found out that the cost of living in Colorado is between 5% lower to 19% higher than where I live now.
    If I can double my income, It may be worth the move.

It may be the weed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  14. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Member

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Compared to TX, CO is not that much more expensive, housing is slightly higher...cost of everything else seems the same, more hipsters and liberals.

15. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Central Coast California
    I just used the wrap example to try and wrap my head how he can justify that price per square foot. Depending on the grade of ACM used, it's not some throw away material like Coroplast. The construction industry uses it for cladding and other purposes.

If using 651 or intermediate vinyl, his price per square foot becomes even more out of whack.

Yes, local cost of living factors affect what the market will bear a bit, but to that great of an extent?

If he's getting it, more power to him. If he's paying family wages and benefits, then even better.

We live and operate in THE most expensive county in California when average wages and benefits are factored in, so nobody needs to tell us about the high cost of living.

The other places I've lived and made signs weren't exactly low rent either.

16. Old Timer

Old Timer New Member

Nov 2, 2018
    Livonia
    maybe he made a mistake and it's $715 each. we would have sold those for $780.00 each and no discount

17. equippaint

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Why is it that you guys wear the it's more expensive where I live notion like it's some sort of badge of honor that nobody else can understand unless they live it too? I don't need to have basic economic principals explained. I've lived in higher cost of living areas and never saw much higher aside from housing, tolls and crappy commutes. Anecdotal yes but it's from actual experience. Commodity prices are generally the same and vary more for geographic reasons (trucking) than anything else. Car insurance and health insurance, its risk pool, Florida is high and considered low cost of living. Taxes, look at Virginia, state taxes are the same percentage for those in Alexandria as those in Emporia. Same with Illinois. You guys just think all of this stuff is caused by something special that only you have.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I don't give a hoot as to where you live, eat or do business..... it's all a matter of reading..... not the money world.

To me, the quote is for one sign and one sign alone, but they are using two pieces to make it. Most likely a 4' x 10' and a second 1' x 10'. Perhaps the customer picking it up doesn't have the capability of transporting a solid 5' x 10' piece of material. Therefore, the price is very doable. In fact really nice.

The OP should know this up front, as he is supposed to quote to create a comparison. How many did they ask you for ?? One or two signs ?? If you go simply from another company's quote, that's just plain silly.

For the vast majority of you.... if you can't read a simple quote, how do you read shop drawings or surveys ?? :confused:

19. equippaint

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    I could see that except there's a multi sign discount on there, 1 sign cut in 2 shouldn't qualify.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Yes, but if you get more than one full sign.

Many times, when people order signs and then say, we'll be getting more, I try to encourage them getting them right now, rather than later. I have everything out and ready-to-go, so why not. Nope, I believe it's a two-part sign. Heck, we'll do the same thing if someone has several vehicles or many of anything.... it's a volume discount, but you hafta commit right now.

• Like Like x 1