• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wow, Check out this estimate

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We would be pretty close to that with a direct print UV ink with a gloss coating. Wholesale to the trade though, which is a big difference. We wouldn't do any design and would suggest our customer marks it up 2-2.5x.

equippaint

$22.00 per square foot for a sign on a substrate that costs you less than $2.00 per square foot?

What kind of media are you using on this stuff? Even IJ180 is less than $3 per square even with laminate included. A 4x+ markup is pretty high.
Why cast on cheap material? It's ACM. Not arguing with you, I agree with what you said. We have 5 year+ red calendared 651 on cranes in south florida that look fine. There's a few posts saying it wont be cast but in all honesty, why should it be? Its a cheap substrate for a budget sign. If you sell it as something else and think cast makes it better then maybe you should reevaluate rather than criticize the competitors. It's just my opinion and you know how the saying goes.

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
I separate out my design and sign price always, but a 5x10ft with calendared vinyl for 2 color non complex design we could do $600 each, material cost for us $160.

asd

I do sell my 4x8 for 704.00 plus taxes, becuase that is what the markets dictates in my area. the cost of living in co is very high average cost of rent per sq ft is 20.00 entry level employee is 15.00/hr so yes this guy is giving signs away at that price.

TXFB.INS

Here is another example of a LOW price.

Was sent this image and was told that they would only paid $25 for design, product and installation......

Even if it was done in low grade calendar vinyl, way too cheap

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190314-062646_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190314-062646_Facebook.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 340

equippaint

I do sell my 4x8 for 704.00 plus taxes, becuase that is what the markets dictates in my area. the cost of living in co is very high average cost of rent per sq ft is 20.00 entry level employee is 15.00/hr so yes this guy is giving signs away at that price.
Sooo a 1000 sq/ft apartment is $20k/mo? Where do the people that make $100/hr live? We cant get much of anything for $15/hr and were in the low rent district. Not sure whats so different in co than anywhere else really. Are prices double at mcdonalds?

Johnny Best

He could be in Aspen, CO, but I have never seen a sign shop there and not to much call for 4x8 signage as I could see.
Maybe space available sign in window next to the Fendi store. Rent is high out there. Not a bustling metropolis area.
They do have McDonalds.

rossmosh

Sooo a 1000 sq/ft apartment is $20k/mo? Where do the people that make $100/hr live? We cant get much of anything for $15/hr and were in the low rent district. Not sure whats so different in co than anywhere else really. Are prices double at mcdonalds?

Do you really not understand the difference between HCOL and LCOL areas and the impact on prices? It's not just one thing. It's hundreds of things. Higher taxes, higher food costs, higher rent prices, higher gas costs, higher insurance costs, and plenty more. You add it up and it means you need to make $60k a year to live a decent life vs $40k a year somewhere else.

Also, rent per square foot is typically based on the year, not the month....

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Compared to TX, CO is not that much more expensive, housing is slightly higher...cost of everything else seems the same, more hipsters and liberals.

TimToad

Why cast on cheap material? It's ACM. Not arguing with you, I agree with what you said. We have 5 year+ red calendared 651 on cranes in south florida that look fine. There's a few posts saying it wont be cast but in all honesty, why should it be? Its a cheap substrate for a budget sign. If you sell it as something else and think cast makes it better then maybe you should reevaluate rather than criticize the competitors. It's just my opinion and you know how the saying goes.

I just used the wrap example to try and wrap my head how he can justify that price per square foot. Depending on the grade of ACM used, it's not some throw away material like Coroplast. The construction industry uses it for cladding and other purposes.

If using 651 or intermediate vinyl, his price per square foot becomes even more out of whack.

Yes, local cost of living factors affect what the market will bear a bit, but to that great of an extent?

If he's getting it, more power to him. If he's paying family wages and benefits, then even better.

We live and operate in THE most expensive county in California when average wages and benefits are factored in, so nobody needs to tell us about the high cost of living.

The other places I've lived and made signs weren't exactly low rent either.

Old Timer

Hey everybody! I just had to share this low ball estimate from another local shop I got a call about today.

Customer was super nice and said "So I got another estimate and it's half of what you quoted me. I wanted to make sure there wasn't a mistake on your end" I told him to forward me the estimate and I'll compare it to mine to see if I was in fact wrong because it happens sometimes.

I'll let you guys see it for yourself. I'm literally sick feeling after seeing this. I just cannot understand this at all. Just under $7.00 PSF it comes out to and this is a 2 color cut vinyl on 6mm ACM...

I called my customer back and told him to take it and run with it as fast as he can. Apparently they aren't interested in hanging the signs but I told him I would help him out and do that for him once he gets them because these are about 30' up in the air on a V nose steel frame off a pole.
maybe he made a mistake and it's $715 each. we would have sold those for $780.00 each and no discount

equippaint

Do you really not understand the difference between HCOL and LCOL areas and the impact on prices? It's not just one thing. It's hundreds of things. Higher taxes, higher food costs, higher rent prices, higher gas costs, higher insurance costs, and plenty more. You add it up and it means you need to make $60k a year to live a decent life vs $40k a year somewhere else.

Also, rent per square foot is typically based on the year, not the month....
Why is it that you guys wear the it's more expensive where I live notion like it's some sort of badge of honor that nobody else can understand unless they live it too? I don't need to have basic economic principals explained. I've lived in higher cost of living areas and never saw much higher aside from housing, tolls and crappy commutes. Anecdotal yes but it's from actual experience. Commodity prices are generally the same and vary more for geographic reasons (trucking) than anything else. Car insurance and health insurance, its risk pool, Florida is high and considered low cost of living. Taxes, look at Virginia, state taxes are the same percentage for those in Alexandria as those in Emporia. Same with Illinois. You guys just think all of this stuff is caused by something special that only you have.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't give a hoot as to where you live, eat or do business..... it's all a matter of reading..... not the money world.

To me, the quote is for one sign and one sign alone, but they are using two pieces to make it. Most likely a 4' x 10' and a second 1' x 10'. Perhaps the customer picking it up doesn't have the capability of transporting a solid 5' x 10' piece of material. Therefore, the price is very doable. In fact really nice.

The OP should know this up front, as he is supposed to quote to create a comparison. How many did they ask you for ?? One or two signs ?? If you go simply from another company's quote, that's just plain silly.

For the vast majority of you.... if you can't read a simple quote, how do you read shop drawings or surveys ?? :confused:

equippaint

I don't give a hoot as to where you live, eat or do business..... it's all a matter of reading..... not the money world.

To me, the quote is for one sign and one sign alone, but they are using two pieces to make it. Most likely a 4' x 10' and a second 1' x 10'. Perhaps the customer picking it up doesn't have the capability of transporting a solid 5' x 10' piece of material. Therefore, the price is very doable. In fact really nice.

The OP should know this up front, as he is supposed to quote to create a comparison. How many did they ask you for ?? One or two signs ?? If you go simply from another company's quote, that's just plain silly.

For the vast majority of you.... if you can't read a simple quote, how do you read shop drawings or surveys ?? :confused:
I could see that except there's a multi sign discount on there, 1 sign cut in 2 shouldn't qualify.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yes, but if you get more than one full sign.

Many times, when people order signs and then say, we'll be getting more, I try to encourage them getting them right now, rather than later. I have everything out and ready-to-go, so why not. Nope, I believe it's a two-part sign. Heck, we'll do the same thing if someone has several vehicles or many of anything.... it's a volume discount, but you hafta commit right now.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
The SignCraft 2019 Sign Pricing guide has a 4' x 10' 1/4" ACM sign with high performance vinyl film at $393.00 (at their lowest pricing tier). Going with that sq.ft. price, that would put a 5' x 10' at $491.25 ($936.25 for two).

My price would be $615 for one, $1190.00 for two ($617.50 each). I would have to consider the cut-off because all I can get in my area (without being hit with a shipping charge) is a 6' X 10' ACM panel.

Brandon708

I really think who ever did that estimate messed it up It says in the description that it is (x2) but it only shows in the line item it is 1. Must of been an employee quoting it and not the owner.