• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap a RC Truck

haulin

If i have the money, i'm spending it on things i enjoy..
not letting it sit around and get moldy. What's the point of working hard, if you can't have fun with your money. Family is always first, but if there's some left, go ape *****

:goodpost:Well said!!:goodpost:

I quit counting how much money I have into my RC stuff a long time ago, but I bet I could have bought a nice real truck by now:rock-n-roll:.

heyskull

Lettering or Wrapping any model is not a viable way of making money.
I find the smaller the item the harder it is to graphic or wrap.
If the customer insists do a supply only as you would be quicker doing the full size vehicle.

SC

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
I wrapped many foam rc airplanes without any problem. And two HUUUUGE JET RC planes.

SqueeGeeMonkee

The body is a lexan mold, and i think that is a Traxxas Slash. You can use mild heat on it without a issue. just dont burn a thin spot.

Pat Whatley

Yeah, I lettered a trailer years ago for a guy who said he'd spent more on his RC trucks than it would have cost him to buy an actual race truck. said he was glad he didn't get into RC planes or he'd have "spent real money"

thewvsignguy

I'm not knocking a hobby...but that's serious seed money for a business...just sayin'....

(Well, maybe I am knocking it...but I've seen too many young men with families who still want to be little boys).

JB

Sorry I started R/C cars when I was 13, built and raced them for 9 years or so, that was my drug or drink of choice. I worked for my hobby and I never kept a kit very long, every few months sell the old and buy a new one. Had a child and it all went on hold, my son got into the hobby after digging out my old stuff.

The RC stuff is what got me into the sign industry. I used to paint some of the bodies at a few local track. All the graphics were hand drawn on top then hand cut in reverse the painted in reverse (clear lexan you paint on the inside). My first cutter was a 12" roland stika so I could really crank out the graphics, then I got a real job.

SqueeGeeMonkee

I started racing 1/10 scale traxxas cars when i was 14. Race,crash,rebuild,repeat.
Now i build actual cars and motorcycles. Just minus the crash part. All the mechanical properties learned from 1:10th scale plastic frame, drives, suspension & and the little mechy speed controllers that would go insane if it was too humid and send your car flying out of range at 20+ only to watch it keep going into the distance and slam into the biggest possible object in the whole area.... love those little cars.

Tel

I am 63 years of age next month and have been modelling for as long as I can remember. From free flight gliders to i/c powered RC planes cars boats and helicopters also yachts and all I have enjoyed immensly.
We once flew a RC plane from Ireland to the Isle of Islay in Scotland the pilots in a boat taking it in turns the whole distance over sea being some 60 miles I shall look tonight for a link.
I have taught several people who have been sent to me to Fly RC Helis and they have gone on to be full size Heli pilots.
In the early days of Helicopters I flew a Heli with a video camera up to the roof of a Church and the engineers were able to use the footage to inspect the roof.
The hobby has given me great fun, satisfaction and I have made great lifelong friends from it.
RC is used extensively by the military at present, saving lives.
I am currently flying Planes Helis and enjoying car racing on a carpet track we have at our Model Flying Club
How much have I spent over the years, well I don't have a clue but it's a lot a hell of a lot and I have enjoyed every penny spent on it.

As for the car body it is as said before a Lexan moulding why anyone would want to wrap one beats me the easy, quick and the right way is to paint the inside. They come with window masks which are applied insdie then removed after painting. I have done loads and tried all sorts of paints and I find any paint made for plastics or polycarbonate will work well. I would do all my lexan body shells from the inside. wrapping the outside is certainly an option but it gets scratched and ripped quite easily I have been there and done that
TOYS INDEED ---- wash your mouth out Sir (just Joking)

Last edited:

SqueeGeeMonkee

I am 63 years of age next month and have been modelling for as long as I can remember. From free flight gliders to i/c powered RC planes cars boats and helicopters also yachts and all I have enjoyed immensly.
We once flew a RC plane from Ireland to the Isle of Islay in Scotland the pilots in a boat taking it in turns the whole distance over sea being some 60 miles I shall look tonight for a link.
I have taught several people who have been sent to me to Fly RC Helis and they have gone on to be full size Heli pilots.
In the early days of Helicopters I flew a Heli with a video camera up to the roof of a Church and the engineers were able to use the footage to inspect the roof.
The hobby has given me great fun, satisfaction and I have made great lifelong friends from it.
RC is used extensively by the military at present, saving lives.
I am currently flying Planes Helis and enjoying car racing on a carpet track we have at our Model Flying Club
How much have I spent over the years, well I don't have a clue but it's a lot a hell of a lot and I have enjoyed every penny spent on it.

As for the car body it is as said before a Lexan moulding why anyone would want to wrap one beats me the easy, quick and the right way is to paint the inside. They come with window masks which are applied insdie then removed after painting. I have done loads and tried all sorts of paints and I find any paint made for plastics or polycarbonate will work well. I would do all my lexan body shells from the inside. wrapping the outside is certainly an option but it gets scratched and ripped quite easily I have been there and done that
TOYS INDEED ---- wash your mout out Sir (just Joking)
:goodpost: you Sir, deserve a 1:10th scale statue.