• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap Certification

Does a wrap certification mean anything to your customer?

• Yes

Votes: 23 17.3%
  • No

Votes: 110 82.7%

• Total voters
S

Sign-Man Signs

Let's put this topic to bed. Do you think a wrap certification means anything to your customer?

Joe Diaz

Maybe not the customer, but if I were an employer for a wrap company, it wouldn't hurt a persons chances of being hired. Although, I think there are other more important factors for a good employee then certificates. But like I said, it wouldn't hurt.

cptcorn

adad
Before I vote, I need the word customer defined. There's a huge difference between Best Buy and a Mom N Pops shop.

Joe Diaz

It would also depend on the certificate. Is it just a certification for installation, or does it encompass all facets of wraps, including effectiveness of the design or longevity of the materials being used?

Techman

It can be used as a very effective marketing tool. If used correctly and effectively.

If the certification becomes a standard then it will mean something more than just a paper on the wall.

It can make a difference if it gains enough strength to become a regulatory vehicle.

cptcorn

adad
I think that is has a certain level of impact, however your portfolio does most of the talking.

To a small/medium local customer, yes.

To a national customer, no.

I can advertise our 3M/UASG membership all I want and it probably wont get me one piece of work. The companies that value that sort of thing; You don't find them, they find you.

Techman

Oh yes,
This poll will never put this debate to bed.
This very same debate goes on within the entire service industry no matter what services are being offered.

The real fear is that any governmental control is too much control and rife with corruption. Some such as the real estate industry became self regulating and formed their own boards. However, in the end they still have losers running around. However the better agents make money while the losers eventually fade away.

Craig Sjoquist

at present date NO ..but in the future I should hope so, because with certification customers will be able to weed out the flyby nights as they can be called, with certification the sign industry can gain dramatically, stable pricing for one, shops and customers can compare apples to apples in quality, work and products a standard will happen
.. My customers when selling want to know if I'm qualified, pictures do alot but a certification would be another step
I would like to see in the survey.... if certification would be a positive for industry

S

Sign-Man Signs

Definition: Customer: Anyone, company or individual, that will attempt to purchase any of your products or services.
Currently 90% say no. I think this topic is about dead except for those that want to carry on with it to promote themselves or company.

ProWraps

To a small/medium local customer, yes.

To a national customer, no.

I can advertise our 3M/UASG membership all I want and it probably wont get me one piece of work. The companies that value that sort of thing; You don't find them, they find you.

i think you have it 100% backward. national companies and other shops that look for installers look for the certification. they search directly on the pdaa and uasg search engine to find you.

local customers could care less. they dont even know what it means and typically are shopping on price alone (not that national companies arent doing the same).

Bigdawg

Just Me
I think there's a big difference in what it means to my customers (virtually nothing) and what it could mean to the industry if there was a centralized certification.. not associated with one company (Lowen) or one product (3M), but IMHO a good wrapper should be able to wrap with about any vehicle vinyl...

So while I didn't vote... no - it means nothing to my customers - but done right... it could mean a lot to the industry as a whole.

iSign

Let's put this topic to bed. Do you think a wrap certification means anything to your customer?

It's that simplistic in your mind, that you can bang out 11 words & trust some kind of poll to know what you mean?

Define everything & maybe I'll vote

Mason

I think there's a big difference in what it means to my customers (virtually nothing) and what it could mean to the industry if there was a centralized certification.. not associated with one company (Lowen) or one product (3M), but IMHO a good wrapper should be able to wrap with about any vehicle vinyl...

So while I didn't vote... no - it means nothing to my customers - but done right... it could mean a lot to the industry as a whole.
:goodpost:

cptcorn

adad
i think you have it 100% backward. national companies and other shops that look for installers look for the certification. they search directly on the pdaa and uasg search engine to find you.

local customers could care less. they dont even know what it means and typically are shopping on price alone (not that national companies arent doing the same).

I agree with you 100%... You read my post without taking into context what I quoted... Someone said your portfolio holds more weight then a certification... and to that i say to local customers yes, to national companies, no.

ProWraps

ah gotcha. my bad. yeah when i look for installers outside my area, i have yet to even glance at their portfolio.

Border

To the local customers, it means more to have a guarantee of the work to hold up than any certification would.

National or big corporate clients would also expect a guarantee but I think the certification would help a whole bunch when trying to land the new account for sure.

iSign

like a lot of things that MAY have value, (if properly developed, implemented, & marketed) ...it's full value will not be realized before or during the initial developmental stages.. so on the day of a meaningless poll... 8 to 1 may say no it means nothing...

...but, if the industry leaders, or innovators want to work on establishing a certification process that takes root, gains credibility & popularity... then the early wave of participants will help market the concept & intent...

then it has the chance to become a new recognized standard of excellence, that the same kind of clients who notice things like BBB logos, or contractor license numbers, will gradually become educated about as representing the varying credentials (or lack thereof) among competing vendors within a given region.. when that happens, it will have all been worth it...

It will only be worth it on the front end, for the true visionary's who make it happen... or for the market savvy participants on the forefront of supporting that vision by promoting it.

Last edited:

grafixemporium

Not only is it meaningless to our customers, it is meaningless to me. I know one guy with a 3M certification who can't wrap a car to save his life. He paid his money, took a class and got a cute little certificate to hang on his wall.

On the other hand, I know at least 5 installers in the Houston area (one who works for me) who have no certifications of any kind but can wrap circles around most everyone out there.

g'emporium and that is about the most frustrating thing to me in regards to the past 'certification' programs. i can not tell you how many shops have called me after sending someone to a specific supply company for training and thinking that they were going to have the confidence and ability to install and they simply havent had it...they call frustrated, angry and desperate looking for solutions...

and unfortunately the only solution that i have for them that i am confident in is to practice. to build upon your skills until you are proficient. these skills do not come in a weekend...they don't come in a week. they come from learning the basics and building upon them until you are a confident skilled installer.

S

Sign-Man Signs

It's that simplistic in your mind, that you can bang out 11 words & trust some kind of poll to know what you mean?

Define everything & maybe I'll vote

Yes Mr. President, it's that "simplistic" in my simple mind. It's basically a yes or no question and was designed to stop all the who's right and who's wrong about wrap certifications.
By the poll numbers, I think it speaks for itself. Now you may want to read something more into it so you can grace us with your vote but I don't think you see the point of the poll.
Nobody cares about certifications(according to the poll) unless you are trying to promote your business with a piece of paper you paid $800.00 dollars for hanging on your office wall.
Sometimes 11 words is all that's needed. Try using a little more tac when replying to a post and I might give you a little more respect.
:thumb: