• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap Material - Hate to start a new thread but...

Salmoneye

Hi Guys, I am tired of searching this topic. I have worked with very little wrap material personally and I am getting ready to order a kit of material. Although we all like to save a little money what I really want to know is; In your opinion, what would be the best material for an installer new to wraps? I am talking the easiest to learn with, most forgiving... This might not be the material that you work with every day as some are surely trying to save a few bucks or some with a lot of experience might prefer a little advantage or feature that another high performance material has but isn't necessarily as forgiving... But in general, easiest, most forgiving good material for a new installer to learn with?

matrue

We use 3M180CV3 with 3M8518 Gloss Laminate. There are some other products that can work depending on the application coverage and the amount of time the vehicle graphic will be up.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Yes for sure without any question use the 3M the savings is not that huge from brand to brand but the 3M180CV3 is what you should use for full wraps. I can save you money on the laminate though as you can use a different brand then 3M but you need to use their base vinyl.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Either the above mentioned 3M combo or Avery 1005 SuperCast with 1360 Lam.....Avery set might be a little cheaper and is comparable. I personally like installing the Avery better.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
3M or Avery. I prefer 3M...but Avery is comparable. I find you have to squeegee Avery a little harder to get it to lay down, whereas 3M seems to lay down easier. IMO

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you don't have any training or hands on under your belt, you're gonna be in for a huge eye opening experience.

:frustrated: I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but if it's for learning only and not a customer's vehicle.... I think the A V E R Y stuff is easier to use from a learning standpoint. However, if you are gonna use this in any level of getting paid from a customer, then DO NOT and I repeat, DO NOT use A V E R Y products on end user's vehicles.

Take some classes and get a feel before you just throw good money around for nothing. Learn on your dime for the classes, but their dime for the experience.

Good Luck.................​

vagrant

I agree on both 3m and avery products... love them-
my previous employer switched to them after using the oracal rapid air for some time. it was a huge difference!
that being said though- my new employer uses mactac gv929. and i gotta say- im diggin' it. very very very easy to use. adhesive doesnt come off when repositioning (unlike oracal) and when heated and stretched it doesnt seem to get too thin. Im not sure about price, because im not the guy who pays the suppliers. also, one of my first tasks at my new job was to remove the full wrap from the company truck that had been on there for about 3 years- and let me tell you- it would have lasted alot longer. it wasnt lifted anywhere and i guess this material locks to its new shape when you post-heat. not sure how that works though

Hicalibersigns

Avery 1005 SuperCast with 1360 Lam.....Avery set might be a little cheaper and is comparable.

We have been using the above for a year and a half. We can't get anyone to come close to the pricing with 3m products and we have had no issues with the material. I know Avery went through a bad patch some time ago and a lot of people have a very bad taste in their mouth regarding the situation. I probably would too had I experienced the issue. However, so far we have no complaints and the pricing difference is significant.

Signed Out

No love for oracal 3751ra? Guess I'm going to have to get a roll of 3m 180... and try it out. I have noticed with the 3751 that when repositioning sometimes the adhesive stays with the vehicle and not the vinyl, looks like crap if it doesn't get laid right back down where the adhesive came off from, this hasn't happened in a while though. Is anybody using 3751ra?

Salmoneye

Thank You for all of the responses. I have only done some very basic stuff with General Formulations Automark. It is good for basic stuff but I am trying to get it to do things that it was never meant to do and I certainly don't want to sell that.

HulkSmash

Aren't there also several types of 180? What are the differences between them? I am not a 3m user normally.

you want the IJ 180 cv3.
with the regular IJ 180, you can see the cross hatch pattern in the print.
as for the others, they're just cut vinyl.

Circleville Signs

Oracal and Arlon have the most aggressive adhesives on the market. This makes them an absolute BIATCH to work with in the wrap arena. If I'm doing flat panel stuff (box trucks, transit, etc.) then I'll use Oracal all day long.

Otherwise, I'm not touching that stuff with a 10' pole.

vagrant

i dont want to hijack this topic, but i am just wondering- has anyone else tried the mactac gv929? like i said in an earlier post, i never tried it until i started at my new employer. never even heard of it either. but i really like it, way better than oracal.

MikePro

bout to wrap my first truck with the Arlon DPF 6000 series. Bout 10% savings from 3M. will update this thread when I'm done this weekend.

HulkSmash

i dont want to hijack this topic, but i am just wondering- has anyone else tried the mactac gv929? like i said in an earlier post, i never tried it until i started at my new employer. never even heard of it either. but i really like it, way better than oracal.

no