• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap Material - Hate to start a new thread but...

Salmoneye

Thanks again for the responses. I have checked out the 3m and Avery just a bid and got a price quote from my supplier; there doesn't seem to be a significant price differential. I think I want to try the Avery kit and work on a couple of projects of my own. If you have a supplier that you think you get a good deal on the avery with, I would appreciate a pm with name and an approx price. I don't want to post material prices on the Forum.

signswi

Oracal and Arlon have the most aggressive adhesives on the market. This makes them an absolute BIATCH to work with in the wrap arena. If I'm doing flat panel stuff (box trucks, transit, etc.) then I'll use Oracal all day long.

Otherwise, I'm not touching that stuff with a 10' pole.

Our installers love the 3951GRA/290G combo. Box trucks get 3551GRA.

HulkSmash

Best advice i can give is not to use calendered on any vehicle.
flat or not, it's just not the best way to go about it. I can care less what other shops do, but we do hundreds of wraps a year, and I know what brings the customers back.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Find out which of your local suppliers are having wrap training classes in the near future. The classes are normally brand-specific, but the training is what you need at this point. It helps them familiarize you with the material (and helps them sell it to you), but you will see what you are doing wrong & have a great starting point.

Stay away from MacTac, previous employer insisted on it & now all of their wraps we did are going bad.... We use 180C & 180CV3 here at my new shop.

Proper vehicle prep is the MOST important part of any wrap/graphics installation & where you need to be sure you're doing it right. From there, different materials need bridged/tented/etc differently.

Premier Wraps

Can I suggest using the DOL 1060 laminate with the Supercast. I love the 1360. It's all we use. But with you being in TX and the heat right now I'd go with a little thicker laminate. If you're in a controlled temp environment then DOL 1360 all day long. You can't get a lower initial tac then Avery, again, especially in the heat. Just my .02¢

Salmoneye

My vendor here carries the 1460 lam for the Avery (I think that is the only one they carry as they are a new vendor for them). I think it's supposed to be the most conformable, does that also mean the stretchiest? i.e. bad in the heat? Have you ever used it? P.s. Premier, thanks for the PM, I responded.

4R Graphics

yes the 1460 will stretch in the heat so will all of them but the 1060 will do it the least.

I have and do use both 3M and the Avery supercast. I like the 3M for most stuff but the avery is nice for stuff that has crazy curves and what not.

I think the Avery is a little stretchier than the 3M if your applying in a non enviromentally controlled area but they both will stretch.

Either of the 2 will be good for a new guy.

WrapYourCar

why don't you do a wrap course? then you don't have to pay for the material you're playing with, and you'll learn how to do it the right way.. instead of guessing..

Premier Wraps

DOL 1460 is 1ml thick. Crazy thin. Wouldn't even bother using it unless you have some sort of knowledge of installing. It will stretch very easily.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
If you are "tired of searching this topic" you should know by now what kind of answers you are going to get, because surely you've read the umteen other threads that have the same question. You'd have learned that not all installers or shops have the same opinions and therefore you'd have learned that you're going to get several different answers. You'd also have learned to expect the jerky responses like this one and many of the others you've already gotten, by asking such a question when there are tons of threads with "which wrap vinyl" to use.

HulkSmash

If you are "tired of searching this topic" you should know by now what kind of answers you are going to get, because surely you've read the umteen other threads that have the same question. You'd have learned that not all installers or shops have the same opinions and therefore you'd have learned that you're going to get several different answers. You'd also have learned to expect the jerky responses like this one and many of the others you've already gotten, by asking such a question when there are tons of threads with "which wrap vinyl" to use.

I'd say in the 2 pages you gave the most jerky response. Everyone actually suggested something. Try reading.

Salmoneye

First, I would like to say thank you to everyone -1 that responded to my question. I read many posts that talked about different wrap materials and their pluses and minuses, I did not however find any that addressed my question exactly and especially not with a wide variety or opinions directly and solely based upon ease of use. Based on this thread I was able to make a decision and order a kit of material feeling much better about my expenditure. Also I feel that many can benefit by stumbling upon this thread. Kentucky, I am very sorry if I drug you in here and wasted your time. My next thread might be about a favorite Wrap 'TOOL' and you will not be mine. :)

IronHawk

bout to wrap my first truck with the Arlon DPF 6000 series. Bout 10% savings from 3M. will update this thread when I'm done this weekend.

Curious to hear how this comes/came out. I print on this stuff but we haven't used it for a wrap yet, just mounted graphics...

Last edited:

Suz

Salmoneye, glad you started this thread. I for one (no, not the only one) am glad you started it. Also, watching for your results.

I'm planning to order some wrap materials soon too, think I'm gonna go with 3M though, had jotted that info down a while back after doing some reading and question asking myself.

Good luck to you!

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
First, I would like to say thank you to everyone -1 that responded to my question. I read many posts that talked about different wrap materials and their pluses and minuses, I did not however find any that addressed my question exactly and especially not with a wide variety or opinions directly and solely based upon ease of use. Based on this thread I was able to make a decision and order a kit of material feeling much better about my expenditure. Also I feel that many can benefit by stumbling upon this thread. Kentucky, I am very sorry if I drug you in here and wasted your time. My next thread might be about a favorite Wrap 'TOOL' and you will not be mine. :)

Nice one. (no really...that was a good one...touch'e)
Apparently I was the only one in a foul mood that day who was annoyed at your premise of having exhausted this topic when it's probably one of the most asked questions in this forum..."which vinyl to use" etc.
Most of the time I'm not alone in the sarcastically negative remarks about such a question that's what I get for speaking out.
But as I said, there are NO universally agreed upon "best" vinyl. You find that all the time, Avery, vs, Orajet, vs 3M vs Arlon blah blah etc.
You just gotta try small sample rolls from each manufacturer to know for yourself. Several of them have changed formulas over the past 4 years anyway due to complaints.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I'll answer your question rather than get annoyed.
As for "most forgiving" they are all pretty much as durable as each other if you are getting the same thickness (mil) and overlam. 2 things you are going to look at are conformability and initial tack, aggressiveness of adhesive.
(in my experience) (excluding 3M 380 or any other super thin vinyls made for wall textures or deep recesses)
"premium Wrap vinyl" 3M is more aggressive on initial tack than Avery's 1005 Supercast Easy Apply RS, but if you get the non RS it's about the same. The RS allows for it to slide without being as grabby but you have to use more pressure on the squeegee strokes to lay it down bubble free, which can wear out the buffer on your squeegee faster and makes installs more tiring.
Orajet and Arlon have both had a more aggressive initial tack in my experience even after I gave Arlon's NEW improved less grabby formula, it still wasn't as easy to work with. But no matter what vinyl you use, you MUST let it cure all the way before laminating it...or you will lock the solvents in forcing them to air out through the adhesive side, making it more aggressive anyway.
So I would suggest 3M or Avery. I like 3M's 8518 overlam better than Avery's. The cheaper vinyls aren't worth the savings up front because you'll spend more time and headache on installation. So if you are only saving $75 but aren't planning on just passing that exact amount of savings to your customer...just go with the "better" stuff. Either way...practice with what you'll be using, it just makes sense.
I try what the market has to offer and keep coming back to those 2 manufacturers. I haven't tried MacTac because from what I've heard, their formula requires extensive post heating and uses a permanent adhesive. But that was awhile ago. I'm sure they're new 6600 line is keeping up with the Jone's.
Again, this is just my opinion. All these guys have their own.