• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wraping old exposed brick wall

GP

I hope to attempt to wrap this old brick wall with an vintage pre-war poster inspired panel, measuring 12' x 15'.

As you can see, the brick is unpainted and has several gaps and imperfections in the mortar.

Do I need to somehow treat the brick before applying vinyl (other than blowing it out with air)? Any vinyl recommendations?

I have limited experience, though I have applied cast vinyl to block and brick. It was in much better condition and painted.

Fortunately, the client wants a weathered and imperfect look, as if it has been there for years.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated,

GP

ps - have a great week!

Attachments

• bare photo.jpg
    bare photo.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 117

MachServTech

I would use only 3M IJ8624 Graphic film for textured surfaces with the 8524 lam. To use this film you need either heated sponge rollers or a sponge roller that can handle heat.....a lot of heat! This install will be a bitch, but when it is done it will look like it was hand painted on.
I charge crazy $$$$ to do these.

GP

The graphic is killer - i will post once we get the deposit.

Thanks for all the information - please keep it coming -

Now, to figure out a way to get me and a helping hand up there.

GP

GP

How about you come down to install and I go up and spend some time riding my bike around in the cool mountain air?

Adam Bennett

You should check out DPF8000 from Arlon. Good stuff for Untreated rough surfaces like this. Lots of heat and a spongey roller will totally do the trick

MachServTech

How about you come down to install and I go up and spend some time riding my bike around in the cool mountain air?

Sure...just leave your bike at my house when you are done. That should be payment enough!

You might still be able to trick some poor fool that doesn't read Signs 101 into climbing that ladder for you....then you can take the time to come and ride the BRP

OldPaint

gee, it will look like it WAS HAND PAINTED???? i dont think so, but i would just check with someone who COULD PAINT IT............it might be less work, money & material.

MachServTech

gee, it will look like it WAS HAND PAINTED???? i dont think so, but i would just check with someone who COULD PAINT IT............it might be less work, money & material.
I absolutely totally agree....but to those not in the industry it looks like its painted on. (as for the job I did on brick) I am sure that you could paint it...I am also sure you wouldn't have wanted to....their logo looked like photoshop effects barfed on it....plus they wanted it in 3 days for an opening (another level of PITA) Hats off to lettering and paint guys :notworthy: I hated the tedium of this install...I cant possibly imagine the patience or skill it would take to do this work by hand.

Pat Whatley

gee, it will look like it WAS HAND PAINTED???? i dont think so,

I beg to differ. Looking at the stuff in the 3M booth at the show in Atlanta I was shocked at how much it looked like paint...from only a foot away. The logo print they did for me and mounted wouldn't have looked any more painted if it had been painted.

Doyle

Pat you should know that it will never be good enough for OP.... I know that an untrained eye would have a very hard time telling the difference... especially after it is heated and formed to the surface of the wall, I am sure it will look great.

One thing though, if you are paneling this image, are you expecting any problems with registration since the wall is so irregular?

cdiesel

IJ8624/8524.. but like mentioned above, you must have the high temp heatgun and the correct rollers. Last I saw the complete set of tools was about $400. Also expect the install to take a full eight hours.