• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping a glass block wall

daenterpri

I have a customer that wants us to wrap 2 - 19' tall x 15' wide glass block walls. There is grout in between the blocks so they already know that the wrap won't last quite as long as it would if it were going on a completely flat surface. These walls are also concave/bowed. Here are my questions:

1. Would 3M IJ180Cv3 be best for this project? Or is there a better product for this application? I like the idea of easiest installation since we will be 19' in the air.
  2. What is the best way to keep the graphic straight since we will be 19' tall?
  3. Should I install top to bottom vertically? Or should I install horizontally, bottom to top since the overlaps would be better against weather? (using a lift, maybe 2, of course)

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Christian @ 2CT Media

480Cv3 works awesome for glass and grout

Attachments

• 2013-10-04 14.18.05.jpg
    2013-10-04 14.18.05.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 140

daenterpri

480 is non pvc so it has no memory and the adhesive seems quite a bit stronger on rough surfaces vs 180.

Ok, that's good information. But it still floats until you are ready to apply?

If you were doing a 19' tall wall, would you tile and install these horizontally or vertically?

Christian @ 2CT Media

Is it short or long tern and how many installers?

480 works very similar to 180 but it also seems to be a bit gummy when working with it so it has a different "feel" when installing.

daenterpri

It's 15' wide and somewhat concave. We will have between 2-4 installers...however many we need I guess.

daenterpri

And it's somewhat long term. As long of term as we can get. But the customer knows it MIGHT only last 3 years because of where it is and the grout.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Well the grout is going to be the failure point.

Personally we would do horizontal seams hidden near the grout lines, I'd start from the bottom and work up. Doing so prevents the seam catching water, You may also consider an edge sealer on the grout edges and possibly a primer or adhesion promoter to increase longevity on the grout.

Christian @ 2CT Media

You may also want to consider installing a keder track and doing banner if they want the best longevity and the ease of changing out their messages.

QuickSilver2605

I like the 480cv3 as well, you would probably want to heat and apply with roller in the grout areas. We have applied 480 to brick and stucco and it works great.

stusatwork

Sweaty Grout

That grout is going to sweat outdoors. If any of it is exposed to moisture it will soak in and spread all throughout the grout line. This is a tough material question. I like the 480CV3 suggestion. That is not bad at all. But I would probably go with something like Pro Graphics Network Glass Adhere. It would allow for the grout to sweat and there is no adhesive to fail. Also with it being micro suction if it happens to bubble up some it can be squeegee'd right back down since there is no ruined adhesive.
Peel and Place Media with Micro Adhesion Suction Technology
• Adheres to glass, Plexiglass, Formica, Coroplast ™, vehicles and metals
• Removable and reusable
• 8 mil material, no adhesive (waiting on true mil thickness from vendor)
• Water resistant and wipeable, even with glass cleaners
• For best results clean surface with hot water and dry with a non-fraying cloth
• Kiss-Cut and contour cut capable
• Great for outdoor window signs, in-store cooler doors, and more.
• Print compatibility: Solvent, Eco-Solvent and UV

MikePro

is it their intention to (A) reveal the texture of the glass-block, or (B) they just simply want to cover it up?

vehicle wrap vinyl is overkill, imho.
A: save $$$. go with textured wall wrap vinyl. Either 3M IJ8624 or Arlon DPF6700
B: save lots of $$$. go with Arlon DPF8000 or similiar economy vinyl with aggressive adhesive and just span-over the grout lines.

daenterpri

Ok guys, I got some pictures of the job. I appreciate your input. I've attached a picture of the walls and the block/grout detail up close. They would like the wrap to span over the tiles as much as possible. Obviously the tiles will show to some degree.

My thought is that it would be easiest and most manageable to do 48" x 96" swaths, horizontally, bottom to top. There would be 2 of these swaths going up per wall with a couple inch overlay.

If I go with the textured wall wrap, does it have good repositionability if I mess something up?

And again, the customer is wanting it to last at least 3 years if possible.

Attachments

• glass-brick2.jpg
    glass-brick2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 171
  • grout.jpg
    grout.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 172

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
That silicon sealer in spots on top of the grout/cement is going to be an issue.
Even if you work it down in there with heat it is going to lift back out - sooner than later.
Let the customer know and if he is aware and still wants to do it - drive on.

wayne k
guam usa

Sign Eagle

We prefer vertical seams with 1/2" overlap, recently did a wall 15ft high x 300ft long. With vertical seams, gravity works with you and alinement is easy with 2 people. Have done a few walls, 8ft high 30ft long, with vinyl provided by customer, that had a horizontal a seam and no over lap. The first piece was not a problem, the second was dificult trying to keep alined between streaching and drooping. I would think a horizontal seam outdoor from ladders or lifts would be a real problem.

player

Would it be possible to make a separate cutout decal for each block so nothing is affected by the grout and sillycone?

daenterpri

We prefer vertical seams with 1/2" overlap, recently did a wall 15ft high x 300ft long. With vertical seams, gravity works with you and alinement is easy with 2 people. Have done a few walls, 8ft high 30ft long, with vinyl provided by customer, that had a horizontal a seam and no over lap. The first piece was not a problem, the second was dificult trying to keep alined between streaching and drooping. I would think a horizontal seam outdoor from ladders or lifts would be a real problem.

How wide of pieces did you do? 48"? And did you just have 1 guy in a lift and one guy on the ground or how did that work out?