• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping a glass block wall

daenterpri

Here's another question I have. They understand that some texture will show, but they don't really want me to install it down in the grout lines so that the bricks are well defined. They would like me to install across the grout lines, not into them. Because of that, I'm concerned that if I use a cast material, the heat of the summer will cause the vinyl to start turning to putty over the grout lines where it isn't mounted on something. Does that make sense?

If I use a calendered film, it seems like it wouldn't flex too much in the heat and would continue to span across the grout lines.

Does that make sense?

daenterpri

Don't span anything, it will be a fast failure if you do.

I would look in to doing my banner suggestion if they want to hide the texture.

So, I don't think we are equipped to do the banner making with the kedar in-house. Any recommendations on where I could get something that large outsourced? We print banners in-house, but we only do banner tape at this time. In the future we'd like to get a heat welder, but I'm still not sure that's what is required for the kedar system.

Christian @ 2CT Media

There are a few mms on here that can print these as one piece for you.

If you don't have a good aluminum bender I would get the pvc keder tracks and use 3M VHB tape to set in place and followed up with a few set screws to hold form. You will need a track for the top and bottom, and you will need some kind of retention system for the sides.

daenterpri

There are a few mms on here that can print these as one piece for you.

If you don't have a good aluminum bender I would get the pvc keder tracks and use 3M VHB tape to set in place and followed up with a few set screws to hold form. You will need a track for the top and bottom, and you will need some kind of retention system for the sides.

Unfortunately, all I have to work with at the bottom is block, and I don't think the client's landlord would let us drill into that.

Would it be possible to stake it in the ground on the bottom end? And do you think Mesh banner would be a good way to allow air to flow through the banner? Maybe that would keep us from having to mount it to the sides, which I don't really see a good way of doing right now.

daenterpri

The VHB tape will hold the keder track, I would use 4950 as its what we use for the fair trailers we do.

Think it would be safe for the top as well? From the looks of it, I'm pretty limited to what I can attach to up there. The track would have to be mounted sideways to the trim, and that's if there was anything behind the trim to attach to. If I use mesh banner that would keep it fairly light, but it's still 19' x 15' :)

I appreciate your help with this.

daenterpri

Since I don't actually have much to attach to at the top or the bottom of this wall, what if I used something like 3M's VHB tape for attaching the banner directly to the wall? Would that work? Or is there a better adhesive for attaching banner to weird walls?

Also, I don't think the customer will want mesh banner. I think they will want a very vibrant banner.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Sorry I didn't see your last response. I wouldn't use VHB to directly attach the banner as it would be a nightmare to remove. You should be able to use VHB to attach the track system with out any mechanical fasteners, you will have to find the correct strength for the sheer load it will bare.

You should be able to get away with 15 or 18oz solid banner. I would have the banners reinforced with webbing on all edges.